PAI for research purposes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noworkftw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd imagine it's possible, although I don't know that the manual actually lists which items load on which scales. Also, you then run into potential validity-related concerns (e.g., do the BOR and ANT scales retain their reliability and validity when divorced from the measure as a whole).

You could see if there's existing research in any area that's administered only portions of the PAI to see how that's turned out. And/or just see if there are other, shorter scales related to the constructs you're wanting to measure (although I'd imagine you've already done that).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. The manual specifies which items load onto which scales and how to score them. Plenty of papers only list the PAI-BOR, for instance, as a measure used under materials, but there is always the question: did they actually administer the entire PAI and only the PAI-BOR is mentioned because it is relevant to their hypotheses? Or did they actually just administer the PAI-BOR. I suppose I could contact authors.

Yeah, contacting the authors would be a good bet. If you can establish precedent, you've at least got that working in your favor. You'd think this would be the type of information included in, say, a Methods section, although that's unfortunately not always (or perhaps even often) the case.

I would assume that they would have administered all the scales. There is no real bonus to using a single symptom scale if you aren't getting the rest of the interpretive context (validity, etc). In other words, why use the depression scale from the PAI and pay for the administration when you could use a BDI for cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user