Pain EMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PWDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What EMR are people in private practice using?

I am looking at 3 right now:

E Clinical Works:

Has start up training costs

600/mo + separate company billing solution at around 6%
or flat 3% with billing included

nickle and diming of phone call reminders

Less streamlined interface.

Practice management interface less robust??

Greenway:

Has start up training costs

600/mo + separate company billing solution at around 6%
or flat 4.1% with billing included (minimum monthly ~$900)

NO nickle and diming of anything after initial startup.

Very streamlined interface.

Practice management interface more robust?

AthenaHealth

minimal start up training costs

Pretty much required to use the billing service to
flat 6% with billing included
minimum monthly $2650

nickle and diming of incoming document management ($1 per document filed)

Very streamlined interface.

Practice management interface more robust?

Thoughts?

I am leaning toward Greenway or ECW. or.......... Practice Fusion :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Check out Carecloud. They are rolling out new version of interface soon. Several fee structures to choose. Really good back office scheduling components.

My practice changed from ECW to Athena last year and couldn't be happier. We were disenchanted with the customer service from ECW and doing procedure notes in ECW was cumbersome.

On the other hand, the rules engine for billing with Athena has been more beneficial than I had expected it to be and we are collecting more. Also, Athena customer service has been superb. I know that we don't pay per document scanned and the document management has been a plus for us. No regrets here.

Members don't see this ad :)
We use athena and it has grown on me, great in the OR, easy to create and edit porcedure templates. It is fine in clinic. our PCPs have ECW and the reviews are not +

Dictation plus any EMR that allows it to enter notes seamlessly.

I've seen 1000's of doctor's notes in most every EMR. I can easily spot who is clicking and not doing anything buut completing notes. It is easy to see who cares for their patients vs just mucking around.

SML

These are the final three that I looked at. I decided to go with eClinical Works for a variety of reasons but most notably the ease of clinic notes and ease of tracking Rx's. I don't do procedure notes in EMR - have setup templates for that. Greenway was second choice but training was not included (as it is with eCW) and was going to run an extra $7500-9000 to just get started. Another pain doc friend using Athena and he is less than enchanted

my $.02

I am in the same boat as you. Just starting a new practice.

Here are my thoughts:

Athena started as a billing company that added an EMR component.

ECW started as a Software / EMR company that added a Billing component.

I thought that ECW was a one size fits all EMR, too detail oriented and felt that they had crammed everything in one interface.

You can customize the Athena to your needs. Lots of Pain templates, can dictate if you want. Procedure notes were a breeze.

You can get current medication information from the insurance companies and it is another way to track what medications the patient is on if there are multiple MD's - another tool to check if pt is double dipping narcotics. Not available in ECW.

Athena has better document management. IMHO.

The biggest factor was that I knew another pain management MD who has been with athena for 4 years, he started his practice with them and does not recommend doing it any other way. Very few insurance payment rejections.

Leaning towards Athena, will sign towards the end of the month.

Just my.02

I am thinking probably Athena vs Greenway. Athena is nice for a startup because there is near zero upfront costs and no minimum bill if let's say you are ill for a month or other factors that lead to very low billing in a given period. (Hopefully this never happens. ;)

We just signed up with ECW. A few other docs were fairly satisfied with it. No EMR is perfect and they all have their pros and cons.

I am thinking probably Athena vs Greenway. Athena is nice for a startup because there is near zero upfront costs and no minimum bill if let's say you are ill for a month or other factors that lead to very low billing in a given period. (Hopefully this never happens. ;)

I'm on Athena. For procedures it's awesome and efficient. Follow ups, it's not bad. For new patients its not as good. But that goes for any EMR. It is easily customizeable.

For athena, What about billing?
My very experienced consultant was concerned about having everything bundled under the same company.

Members don't see this ad :)
For athena, What about billing?
My very experienced consultant was concerned about having everything bundled under the same company.

I'm in a multi-specialty group so we have an entire billing department. The codes for procedures are pre-populated and just pop up when you do a procedure, which is nice. Our billing gurus seem okay with it. As far as "bundling everything under one company," I'm not sure what you mean.

what do you think of practiceFusion? its a free EMR thats ad supported, but it looks decent... anyone have any experience with it?

I posted this in the private forum as well, but saw this

I have searched through some of the forums here but was hoping to get a better answer

I am looking to start my own practice and am debating between shelling out large amounts of cash or going with something more affordable. Here is what I am looking for and please let me know if that service is overkill

1. Template (I assume most do this)
2. Easy Scheduling (I assume most do this)
3. Can receive faxes electronically
4. I can send my notes to PCP's through a fax system or email system. Whatever they prefer without having to print the note out and then send via manual fax
5. Possible log employee hours (not a big concern)
6. Upload my images with ease U/S and fluoro ( I understand I may have to print these out and scan them)
7. Patient Portal (again not sure how much this is utilized)

Overall looking for what most of us are looking for, an efficient and paperless system that is secure.

I have looked into Amazing Charts, relatively cheap, but not sure how much it can do

Thanks

anybody using EPIC in their office based practices?
Costs? Speed? Implementation issues?
I trained at a local hospital, and it seems more hospital based and not so office friendly.

Thanks for any information.

anybody using EPIC in their office based practices?
Costs? Speed? Implementation issues?
I trained at a local hospital, and it seems more hospital based and not so office friendly.

Thanks for any information.

We use it at the pain clinic I'm training at and I'm not a huge fan. It seems overly complicated and needs simplification. We're also part of a university system so maybe it would be set up differently for a private office. I've heard it's not cheap either and I don't think it brings anything unique to the table. Too many clicks to do simple things IMO

My hospital and clinic has used it for 5 or so years. Steep learning curve but it works just fine. I have a ton of dot phrases and am generally done with note, orders, instructions, and billing before I leave the room.

thanks for the info guys.
apparently epic controls 2/4 of the physicians in this country and only expanding, worth 3-5 billion due to our 40K EMR physician allocations allowed by CMS. They are essentially phasing out most other EMR systems at the hospital/clinic levels.

I did not think EPIC was very efficient for outpatient offices either.
I just don't have the motivation to upgrade my current EMR (qd clinical) to another system, with all of them having flaws or cost/maintenance issues. I may just suck up the medicare fines until 2016 and just drop out of governmental programs.

Any updates on EMR for an outpatient physiatry practice with 4 docs? I've heard athena is good, but I'm not sure about the costs.

Carecloud is the worst possible EMR. I've used EPIC, I've used AHLTA. We are switching to ECW as soon as I confirm I am not making a mistake of similar scale.
PM me for any questions about CC and I'm happy to vent.

Carecloud is the worst possible EMR. I've used EPIC, I've used AHLTA. We are switching to ECW as soon as I confirm I am not making a mistake of similar scale.
PM me for any questions about CC and I'm happy to vent.

+1 Carecloud. Terrible mistake going with them. How difficult is it to export data from old to new EMR?

Migrating data is an expensive proposition. In fact, I was set to go from AllMeds to eClinical but aborted because data migration was going to cost 10 - 15 k and only provide limited data. Some on told me an EMR is like a house. When you buy it you better be certain you like it because getting out is $&&&

is practice fusion an option for you? free EMR, I don't use it so don't know how good it is but throwing it out there if you can't stand your current EMR.

I use Athena. It's not bad

Im starting with Dr Chronos. Anyone have any experience?

Would love any updates on this thread. Does anyone use Greenway? Looking for a small pain group of 3 physicians and 1 PA, first EMR.

Would love any updates on this thread. Does anyone use Greenway? Looking for a small pain group of 3 physicians and 1 PA, first EMR.
I have had Greenway for 6 months, formerly Practice partner for 3 1/2 years. Worlds better than Practice partner, Pro: Constant upgrades, tons of templates Con: Lot of things are difficult for Cutting and pasting

Reactions: 1 user
I know a pain doc that uses Kareo and likes it. I don't think the EMR is amazing but he likes the integrated billing. Says it only costs about 300/month. He's recommending it to me.

Steer clear of EPIC. Too many negatives with this EMR in the outpatient and even in hospital settings. There is nothing intuitive or user friendly about this system.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone used Modmed EMR(I'm actually not sure exactly what they call their EMR)? I saw them at ASIPP and they seemed pretty interesting. I'm probably not going to switch my EMR anytime soon, but was curious if anyone had experience with this EMR?

https://www.modmed.com/pain-management/

what about practice fusion? Its free and web-based...

Any update on these? We're consider Athena or Dr.Chronos for our pain division

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user