Pain job interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seaofred

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for people out there practicing pain. I will start to interview for pain management jobs in the next several months and would like to get your opinions of questions that we should be asking during the interview. How much of a difference does it make to be on a partnership track vs. eat what you kill type practice.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are some Q's to get you started.

1. Practice structure? What kind of contracts with hospital/facility? How many clinics? Plans for ASC? How many partners, who owns the practice? Who bills?
2. Developing own patient base or take over some of the current patients?
2. referal sources? 50% surgical specialty, 25%ED, 25% PCP, etc
3. Time to partnership? Any buy-in to partnership?
5. Call duties: how often, whether the call is telephone availability usually or does it require some ED visits of patients?
6. Financial structure of your compensation...eg. straight salary, salary plus bonus, etc.
7. Types of procedures being done and any limitations on procedures
8. Any active research planned?
9. Typical hours of operation
10. Benefits...health, life, retirement, disability, vesting time, etc.
11. Vacation/meeting time off...
12. Guarantee of time for your board exams (that you would absolutely be off during the exam)
13. What kind of insurances comprise of your practice (% private, medicare, medicaid etc)
14. support staff, who will support me?
15. Who pays the malpractice? And tail insurance in case I leave or get fired?
16. non-compete clause? if so, what terms?

seaofred said:
This is a question for people out there practicing pain. I will start to interview for pain management jobs in the next several months and would like to get your opinions of questions that we should be asking during the interview. How much of a difference does it make to be on a partnership track vs. eat what you kill type practice.
Thanks.