Pain Management Certification for Mid-Levels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you are an MD who learned medicine and swore by a hippocratic oath to hold yourself up to higher moral and ethical and scientific standards than that of one of the above professions, above the level of a carpenter, plumber, waste management or computer engineer (who are also professionals), then you are a PHYSICIAN.

You are the one that used the term provider. Why now change to using the term Physician?

Members don't see this ad.

2 separate contexts.

i initially stated that i was surprised that that idiotic survey didnt show how much better a CRNA performed procedure is compared to one done by any other health care "professional", physician or otherwise. you went off on the "provider" label.

i am also saying that i believe we are physicians, not just professionals selling a service, with the highest moral and ethical standards, ones that are not held by others labelled providers.

Capitalism is the most efficient way to harness self interest for the greater good.

Ligament may like making $$ but he has incidentally alleviated the suffering of 1000s of patients along the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Capitalism is the most efficient way to harness self interest for the greater good.

Ligament may like making $$ but he has incidentally alleviated the suffering of 1000s of patients along the way.

He did it without breaking a sweat. He is the James Dean of pain.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't agreed to do anything. I'm still trying to figure out if it's a valuable proposition to hold accountable mid-level practitioners in our field to a specified standard of knowledge. There is an RN-level certification program but it is more geared to inpatient pain, palliative care, and oncology.

Both NASS and ISIS did a course for Allied Health providers on spinal interventions which I heard was very, very well received. A PA in our group attended the ISIS version and learned a lot. Most PA's learn pain management directly from their supervising physician in a preceptor-based model. My sense is that this is model is too variable to really enforce standards.
Hold up, NASS and ISIS did a course for Allied Health providers?!?!? Please tell me they didn't instruct them on how to perform various procedures. I'm seriously getting sick to my stomach. I agree with all the sentiments on here. You want to teach them pain then teach them everything there is to know about opiate management. They cannot be allowed to perform interventional procedures. It's asinine!