Pain Management fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocco Reed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all! Im a final year Fam med resident who just got into a sports med fellowship. Im also interested in pain management. i have a few questions for you guys if you could help me out.
1. Can I even apply for pain Management? prior post state that I can, but having said that my understanding is that when I would complete my fellowship I would need to take a CAQ examination, from my respective board. Family Medicine does not have a CAQ in pain Management. would I be able to sit this exam under anesthesia without having a done an anesthesia residency? if anyone can shed some light on this id really appreciate it. from a lot of web pages of programs im seeing on the net....a lot of programs are taking Gas residents, PMNR, Neuro, and even PSYCH!? Nothing against psych, but i think family medicine residents have just as much if not more procedural experience than psychiatry and neuro?
2. Is interventional pain Mx and pain Mx the same thing? or is interventional an additional year kinda like interventional cardiology.
any help people could provide would be appreciated!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Until 2014, specialties other than Anesth/PMR/neuro/psych could take the ABMS Pain exam (same exam as anesthesia and PMR take) if they had done an accredited fellowship, through ABPMR. As of 2014, ABPMR is no longer allowing that. Some of the other specialties that have had members pass the Pain boards after fellowships are going to be applying to officially sponsor Pain as a Subspecialty. I know Emergency medicine is applying to do this soon. You need to call the American Board of PMR and the Board of Family Medicine and see who you would take the Pain Boards through, of at all. It may be that the board of Family Medicine may need to apply to co-sponsor Pain for you to do this. I am not sure. Prior to this year, if you got the ACGME fellowship, you were good to go. As of this year and beyond I don't know. Call the two boards above.

thanks! thats some great info to know...thanks for your response. the other question that I have in particular, is there an advanced fellowship after pain called interventional pain Mx, or pain Mx is Pain Mx?

they are almost universally 1 year fellowships.

some have more interventions than others, but all do them.