Pain Med Fellowship Reviews (2007)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mid|ine

Interventional Spine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The previous review thread has become seriously outdated with so many changes to the programs. The reviews in the thread are based on 2007 interviews/fellowships.

Mass Gen Hospital (Boston): A fantastic program!. I was very impressed, especially since this program has had a rocky history a few years back despite being a Harvard program. Dr Rathmell (editor of the atlas you will probably use at any other program) has now been there for over a 1.5 years and the program is now fantastic. The fellows are very happy. They are doing a ton of procedures - I don't know of any procedures they are not doing. They offer a well balanced multidisciplinary clinic/fellowship. The attendings all seemed easy to get along with. Building a new clinic that should be open before July 2008.

Beth Isreal (Boston): Also a very nice program. More laid back then BW and MGH. Clinic finished before 4:30 the day I was there. They are building a new clinic at the time. They are not doing pumps, vert, or kyphos, but are otherwise well exposed to interventions. The attendings and fellows were all very nice and happy. The Anesthesia chair was recently fired and had been very supportive of the pain program.

BWH (Boston): The busiest of the 3 Harvard programs. Very interventional but they were not doing verts or kyphos (though we were assured credentialing was in its final stages). Seemed to be looking for fellows that had done a fair amount of pain and would be able to hit the ground running as though they had done 6 months of fellowship. Overall a very good program that would offer top notch training but be much more intense in terms of schedule.

University Hospital (Cincinnati): Now in its third year under Dr Munir and Dr Akbik, this program is fantastic. They just build a new clinic (essentially private practice setting) with 2 dedicated fluoro suites. They will probably be adding 1-2 new interventionists in the next couple of years. There are no procedures they are not doing. Dr Akbik is very aggressive at pushing the envelope and you will see things in the fellowship you wont see most places (prialt for example). Dr Raj (previously from UC, of Texas Tech fame) lives in Cincinnati and comes in for occasional lectures. Fellows also rotate through a second university clinic, do some rotations with a neurologist in a HA clinic, rotate through the cancer center, and will be rotating at the VA hospital were I am sure that they will be picking up a ton of procedures when it gets underway. Very little scut. Well balanced top tier program.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have the inside scoop of the Cornell/MSK program? Reputation? How Interventional? Any procedures in particular that they are not doing?

Does anyone have the inside scoop of the Cornell/MSK program? Reputation? How Interventional? Any procedures in particular that they are not doing?
Are you speaking of Dr. Lutz's program at HSS?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are referring to Lutz's program, I personally know a previous fellow (not too long ago in fact). He was pretty happy during his fellowship. As compared to other fellowships, he was not working very hard. His day was 8-4 on average. Lot of academia. HSS is pretty frou frou in that the patient population is more on the higher end (at least financially speaking). Because of this, there is not a huge amount of hands on experience. I heard some of the attedings treat the fellows like residents/medical students, and just have them observe. In fact, when he left, he did not feel very comfortable performing many procedures including TFLESI, RFA, facet injections. He wound up having a difficult time finding a job afterwards and eventually joined an orthopedic practice. I think he wound up attending more courses/workshops after his fellowship, and he just recently has become more comfortable with certain procedures. Thats just what I know from his experience, and have heard that others have had similar experiences, so just be weary.

Does anyone know anything about the University of Vermont's pain program? I interviewed there and really liked it but they currently do not have any fellows but are supposedly restarting the program next year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey anyone out there no anything about this program? I heard it was a good one a few years back. Go Hawkeyes!