Pain Medicine Fellowship After FM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TannerTheBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I know that the ABFM started supporting CAQ in Pain Medicine and wondered if any family med residents had experience in applying to those fellowships.

I know most are sponsored by anesthesia departments but this is something I am interested in as a family resident and can't seem to find any good information.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

There are pain programs that will interview you and offer you a fellowship. The pmr programs may be more friendly to Family med.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see this thread has some activity!
Are there any electives one should do during residency to be more competitive for pain fellowships?

I don't think any pain fellowship programs take FM residents...most take anesthesia or PMR....correct me if I'm wrong because it's a very lucrative job?

You can look at the directory of family medicine doctors on the ABFM website who are board certified in pain management. Doing a quick run through via the ABFM website, here are the statistics:
- There are 23 double boarded FM/pain management doctors in the US
- 10/23 are triple boarded in FM/pain management/sports medicine (must be JPS trained!)
- 9/23 practice in Texas

I'm sure there are more FM doctors who do pain management/interventional spine who are not currently boarded in pain management, but have done a sports medicine fellowship which involved fluoro, or have done a pain management fellowship. I know of a few doctors who do such things that are not on the ABFM directory for pain.

TL;DR - They exist. How popular is it from going to family to pain? Probably low. How difficult is it to go from family medicine to pain? probably very difficult (unless you find a fluoro heavy sports medicine fellowship).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You can look at the directory of family medicine doctors on the ABFM website who are board certified in pain management. Doing a quick run through via the ABFM website, here are the statistics:
- There are 23 double boarded FM/pain management doctors in the US
- 10/23 are triple boarded in FM/pain management/sports medicine (must be JPS trained!)
- 9/23 practice in Texas

I'm sure there are more FM doctors who do pain management/interventional spine who are not currently boarded in pain management, but have done a sports medicine fellowship which involved fluoro, or have done a pain management fellowship. I know of a few doctors who do such things that are not on the ABFM directory for pain.

TL;DR - They exist. How popular is it from going to family to pain? Probably low. How difficult is it to go from family medicine to pain? probably very difficult (unless you find a fluoro heavy sports medicine fellowship).

That's great. Those who have been out in practice for decades can get grandfathered into whatever.
You need certification nowadays to be credentialed. Insurance aint gonna cover you if something goes wrong.

Tell me which programs take FM residents and I'll say you win. I don't mean non-interventional, I mean interventional pain management. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Necrobump...is the situation any different three years later?

During my sports med fellowship interview process there are some programs that had fluoro spine training, so that exists, but its rare.

Pain is odd because there are places that will take neuro and psych but not FP, but ithers that will. I think that a family med/group practice would do well with an imbedded pain doc for consults. I think that like sports, palliative, etc, this is an area that we ought to have greater access to, since there is so much pain in primary care, and being able to leverage your abilities with that could lead to benefit elsewhere.

Sorry for the necrobump, any improvement in this past match? any fm residents match?

Sorry for the necrobump, any improvement in this past match? any fm residents match?

didn't meet any FM guys on the interview trail this year...13+ interviews. Met neuro, ED, and rads, but no FM or psych....I would say 90% anesthesia, 7% pmr, and 3% everybody else. If you have money to spare and decent stats (some programs still filter base on step scores), then definitely apply. Good luck!!