Pain MOC Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
List em if ya got em. I gotta get working on this.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

List em if ya got em. I gotta get working on this.

TIA

The SAEs (not the resident ones) available online were invaluable for the test - I woulda failed without them. Plus each one is worth 15 CMEs.

The PIP is a royal PITA.

Members don't see this ad :)
What language are y'all speaking? MOC, SAE, PIP?

Those of us with time-limited certificates need to re-up every 10yrs. I'm looking for rec's on study aids for the recert exam.

PIP and SAE are Practice Improvement Project and study aids for us rehab folks.

Maintenance of Certification in Pain Medicine
The original certificate is a 10-year, time-limited certificate. To participate in
the Pain Medicine MOC program, certificants must:
• maintain primary certification, and
• have a current, valid, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in
at least one jurisdiction in the United States, its territories or Canada.
Evidence of unrestricted licensure in the state or states in which the
physician practices will be required prior to issuance of the certificate
(refer to the ABPMR Policy regarding licensure on page 37).
MOC includes achieving a passing score on a computer-based, proctored
Pain Medicine Subspecialty Examination prior to the certificate expiration
date. The examination may be taken in years 7-10 of the Pain Medicine MOC
cycle.
If a certificant's subspecialty certificate expires, the physician has a
maximum of three years to pass the subspecialty MOC examination, meet
the licensure requirement and become recertified. After the three-year
period, the physician must meet the application requirements in effect at the
time of application (i.e. complete an ACGME-accredited fellowship in Pain
Medicine).
In the event a certificant’s primary certificate lapses, is revoked,
suspended, or expired, the ABPMR will revoke subspecialty certification
as well. Please refer to the ABPMR's Maintenance of Certification Booklet of
Information.

I recertified in 2010 - hopefully for the last time - but never noticed the alphabet soup. I just show up at the Learning Center when required and try to control my blood pressure while answering questions about DSM classes and trying to interpret fuzzy poorly-digitized photos.

Having defined the initials I am no closer to understanding what PIP and SAE are. I'm sure, however, that they are every bit as fascinating and useful as all the other Alpha Bits we have.

MOC sucks.....im looking over the requirements and the PIP REALLY SUCKS. They say expect 30 days to complete, but it sounds more like 2-3 months. Who has the time with the extra work we need to do for less money?

MOC sucks.....im looking over the requirements and the PIP REALLY SUCKS. They say expect 30 days to complete, but it sounds more like 2-3 months. Who has the time with the extra work we need to do for less money?

MOC is a PIA, and those that are involved in signing off on it are equally a PIA.

here ya go MM.....this is an outline of what PIP is.....the only benefit i see is that my practice might benefit.

https://www.abpmr.org/diplomates/pp_criteria.html

Clinical Care PIP Criteria

CQI Component Evidence of Compliance
Description of Process Improvement Project Identify an area in clinical care that needs improvement.

What is the clinical problem you are trying to improve?
How did you identify this as a problem?
What data (objective measurements) do you have that supports this as a problem?
What is your opportunity statement â€" that is what is the goal or outcome you hope to achieve (should include concrete targets of % improvement, etc)?

Intervention Describe the desired outcomes and the requirements needed to achieve them.

How did you determine the correct intervention to improve the process? (Did you do a root cause analysis?)
What change did you implement?

Implementation Describe the corrective actions to be taken.

How did you implement the change?
Who were members of the team and what were their roles?
How did you communicate the change?

Outcome Describe the measurements used to assess the success of the plan.

Did you achieve your goal or target reported in your opportunity statement?
What data (objective measurements) do you have to support your conclusion and over what period of time did you collect data?

Results/lesson learned Explain whether the actions taken corrected the problem.

Explain whether the actions taken corrected the problem.
Describe what you learned from implementing the process and analyzing the outcome.
Describe how the project impacted your practice or performance.
Discussion of next steps (future PIPs) projected to further improve the clinical problem addressed.

Act Change(s) to your practice as a result of this project.

Have you accepted the implemented changes into your practice? If not why not?
Based on your outcome data, will you make additional changes to the process you implemented?
If successful how will you sustain this success? Will you periodically monitor outcomes to ensure maintance of success?

That PIP is the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!! You have to do that to recertify?!!?! OMG please let that change before I have to recert!

MOC is a money making scam by all ABMS boards and subspecialty boards, costing hundreds of millions of dollars to physicians for no measured improvement in patient outcomes. CME is no longer sufficient: now one must engage in theoretically valued educational experiments to continue certification, and if the ABMS gets its way, MOC will be required for continuance of licensure. End of rant.

Reactions: 1 user
That PIP is the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!! You have to do that to recertify?!!?! OMG please let that change before I have to recert!

I like PIP. It lets me watch 2 things at once on my TV. :)

I thought there was a thread about progress that had been made doing away with MOC but I couldn't find it. Has there been any more talk about this ****? I know last year the IM docs boycotted and got their annual fees dropped as well as the requirement for their practice performance project. My dad told me he doesn't have to deal with any of this crap. I thought we were working on doing the same in PMR? We seriously need to do something collaboratively about this. Is anyone?

People in charge to contact
---------------------
ABPMR Board of Directors
Chair
Karen J Kowalske MD
Dallas TX

Vice Chair
William F Micheo MD
San Juan PR

Secretary
James A Sliwa DO
Chicago IL

Treasurer
Anthony E Chiodo MD
Ann Arbor MI
Gary S Clark MD
Cleveland OH

Sherilyn W Driscoll MD
Rochester MN

Gerard E Francisco MD
Houston TX

Christopher J Garrison MD MBA
Austin TX

Carolyn C Geis MD
Daytona FL

James T McDeavitt MD
Houston TX

Mary A McMahon MD
Cincinnati OH

Kevin P Murphy MD
Duluth MN

Lawrence R Robinson MD
Toronto ON

Sunil Sabharwal MD
Boston MA

Club,
Does the VA accept NBPAS for board certification? If not petition them to accept it and get boarded through them.

Club,
Does the VA accept NBPAS for board certification? If not petition them to accept it and get boarded through them.
That's a good question Jay. Not sure...I'll have to look into it

People in charge to contact
---------------------
ABPMR Board of Directors
Chair
Karen J Kowalske MD
Dallas TX

Vice Chair
William F Micheo MD
San Juan PR

Secretary
James A Sliwa DO
Chicago IL

Treasurer
Anthony E Chiodo MD
Ann Arbor MI
Gary S Clark MD
Cleveland OH

Sherilyn W Driscoll MD
Rochester MN

Gerard E Francisco MD
Houston TX

Christopher J Garrison MD MBA
Austin TX

Carolyn C Geis MD
Daytona FL

James T McDeavitt MD
Houston TX

Mary A McMahon MD
Cincinnati OH

Kevin P Murphy MD
Duluth MN

Lawrence R Robinson MD
Toronto ON

Sunil Sabharwal MD
Boston MA

I'd love to see these guys' salaries

I'd love to see these guys' salaries

The merits of re-cer/MOC can be debated, however, the overall costs are egregious and the policy makers are contributory.

ABMS 'president' makes close to $800,000 per year!

Attachments

• ABMS.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 53
The merits of re-cer/MOC can be debated, however, the overall costs are egregious and the policy makers are contributory.

ABMS 'president' makes close to $800,000 per year!
Wow thanks NOSfan...that is disgusting. This needs to be seen by every doc in the US. Maybe then something would be done

Dr Lobel,

Thank you for your response. I do want to point out that since you are letting your PM&R certification lapse, your Pain Medicine certification would lapse as well unless you drop your primary certification in PM&R. If you choose to participate in PM&R in the future you would be able to get your PM&R certification back.

If you would like to maintain your Pain Medicine Certification, you can fill out the attestation form for dropping your primary certification under your account on our website at www.abpmr.org, under your physician home page.

Regards,

Brittney | Maintenance of Certification Assistant

American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

The ABPMR is on social media! Follow us here:

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2016 12:01 PM
To: Brittney
Subject: Re: MOC Requirements

Thank you for your assistance. I will take the test if needed from future employers but I do not practice PMR, only Pain Medicine. Studying for and taking the test cost me well over $3000 and over 60 hours of uncompensated time to prepare. The literature from ABA and ABIM showed no benefit to mandatory test taking so I will hold off on any further testing unless it becomes a necessity for my job.

Steven M. Lobel, MD

Reactions: 2 users
If there is lapse of primary specialty certification for more than 3 years and If you choose to participate in PM&R in the future , do you need to pass just written boards or you need to do both written and oral boards.