Palliative research / training for intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prof Moriarty

the Napoleon of Spine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a dedicated research month during internship. Am planning to do something with palliative medicine. Reading, writing, reviewing, etc. Also thinking of doing some online training, like EPEC. How long is the EPEC online course? Would this be valuable training for an intern or should I wait until later in my training? Any other recommendations for activities?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the classroom EPEC course as an intern (in September, so fairly early on). It took 2 or 3 easy days. I think it was very valuable because it gave me practical tools for intense patient-care situations that would otherwise likely have been baffling, unpleasant or overwhelming.

It will make you the expert in the room :prof: as well. I find few senior residents, and even fewer attendings, really know what to do at EOL to be an effective physician. Mostly I see them nervously eye the door :scared: if there's death at-hand but no code happening (coding is often all they have to offer at EOL :whoa:).

Looks like the EPEC Distance Learning is 16 modules. So perhaps 16 powering-through hours (?). You will likely return to some of the modules for later reference.

Thanks Brim. I also came across these CAPC distance learning modules: http://campus.capc.org/

The EPEC content is more about clinical and communication skills for management of patient-care situations. The CAPC modules are more about program development and practice management.

Interestingly I was just going through the links and downloads from Building a Hospital-Based Palliative Care Program.

I will be going off to HPM fellowship this next July. My wife likes it in this town and would like to return. My current major academic institution has virtually no HPM, aside from a contracted outside hospice for discharges. I plan to pitch a proposal to decision-makers and stakeholders, using info and resources from that CAPC site, to start and staff a PalliMed service upon graduation from fellowship.

Bri

Last edited: