Palm or Pocket PC for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mocdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about extensively . . . I did a search but I wanted to ask here.

I loved my Palm T3 until it completely died. I need to buy a new Palm/Pocket PC, but I don't know what to get. I read in one forum that Palm is being phased out, is this true?

It used to be that Palm's had better battery life and more free medical software, and almost all the residents and med students used Palm. Is this still the case.

Anyone know of a good place to go and learn about the Windoze/Pocket PC hand helds?

Thanks, and sorry for the fact that this is not really a new topic.

Members don't see this ad.

I have owned both palm and pc, 3 years ago I would have said palm, no question, but pc has almost as much software and some you can't get on palm "yet". Things are moving fast, but I think "Up to date" is still pc only.

Palms are cooler and have more fluff programs, but if you plan to work with your PDA. either is good. I think I have more flexability with my pc. But this debate is as old as Mac versus Windows. and both will get you there, but some are cooler.

Now that I have said nothing, but said it politically correct. My suggestion is Pocket PC. "Hell your PDA will be out of date with in 6 months and you can change your mind later with your next PDA"

mocdoc said:
I know this has been talked about extensively . . . I did a search but I wanted to ask here.

I loved my Palm T3 until it completely died. I need to buy a new Palm/Pocket PC, but I don't know what to get. I read in one forum that Palm is being phased out, is this true?

It used to be that Palm's had better battery life and more free medical software, and almost all the residents and med students used Palm. Is this still the case.

Anyone know of a good place to go and learn about the Windoze/Pocket PC hand helds?

Thanks, and sorry for the fact that this is not really a new topic.

Our program uses Pocket PC PDAs. With StyleTap, you can still take advantage of all the palm programs you may have accumulated. It's not quite perfect, but it's not too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
bubalus said:
Our program uses Pocket PC PDAs. With StyleTap, you can still take advantage of all the palm programs you may have accumulated. It's not quite perfect, but it's not too bad.

Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward pocket pc. I am a long time palm user, and I don't know much about the pocket pc's. Does anyone use one that they are reasonably happy with, which are the newer ones out?

Thanks

I've had a lot of experience with both PocketPC's and Palms. I've found that in general PocketPC's have more bells and whistles, but they don't seem to run as smoothely as Palms. It's almost like they are too complex for their own good. For a solid, basic PDA that you can use during your residency my opinion is that Palm is the way to go.

I have not heard any rumors of Palms being phased out. A good website for PDA news is www.brighthand.com. They have the latest info, reviews, and a forum. I think there may even be a medical PDA forum.

Hope this was helpful to you.

barkster said:
I've had a lot of experience with both PocketPC's and Palms. I've found that in general PocketPC's have more bells and whistles, but they don't seem to run as smoothely as Palms. It's almost like they are too complex for their own good. For a solid, basic PDA that you can use during your residency my opinion is that Palm is the way to go.

I have not heard any rumors of Palms being phased out. A good website for PDA news is www.brighthand.com. They have the latest info, reviews, and a forum. I think there may even be a medical PDA forum.

Hope this was helpful to you.

I decided to go with the Palm TX. We will see how it works.

mocdoc said:

I am starting CA 1 year next month and had a question regarding this.

As an anesthesilogy resident, is it important to own a palm or pocket PC ?

IF yes, what programs are important to have ?

Are there programs that are specifically anesthesiology programs out there ?

Thanx in advance...

mocdoc said:

I am starting CA 1 year next month and had a question regarding this.

As an anesthesilogy resident, is it important to own a palm or pocket PC ?

IF yes, what programs are important to have ?

Are there anesthesiology programs out there ?

Thanx in advance...

I can function just fine without one. I found one much more useful as an intern than in anesthesia. Regarding Palm vs. PPC, your hospital/program might have a preference. We use PPC. I have epocrates on mine and a Palm emulator so I can use the Palm medical software I had. There is an anesthesiology program/collection out there. I've never used it.

If you got through your internship without one, you'll probably be fine. Access to a Pharmacopoeia might not be bad for the odd drug you get surprised by.