Palm vs. Pocket PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousPharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has probably already been talked about on here...but I just wanted to start a new fresh thread on this topic...

I know NOTHING about this and need input....I will be starting rotations this summer and everyone has been saying you need a palm or pocket pc with pharmacy software as a resource to get through rotations.....

FIRST, I am not that good with computers and need something that will be more user-friendly and straightforward to use.
What here??? PALM OR POCKET PC????????

SECOND, what pharmacy software is essential to be loaded on to this for adequate resources for rotations??, $$$ is not an issue......what would help here is, software name and what it is good for.....also is there anyway to get devices or software cheaper through organizations (i.e APhA, AACP)???

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This has probably already been talked about on here...but I just wanted to start a new fresh thread on this topic...

I know NOTHING about this and need input....I will be starting rotations this summer and everyone has been saying you need a palm or pocket pc with pharmacy software as a resource to get through rotations.....

FIRST, I am not that good with computers and need something that will be more user-friendly and straightforward to use.

SECOND, what pharmacy software is essential to be loaded on to this for adequate resources for rotations??, $$$ is not an issue......what would help here is, software name and what it is good for.....also is there anyway to get devices or software cheaper through organizations (i.e APhA, AACP)???

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

I use a Dell Axim (pocket pc)...it has windows on it (so you should be somewhat familiar with that). It's been really wonderful (I've been using it for about 2 years now).

As far as software, I purchased Lexi-Complete using my APhA discount. It is expensive, but extremely worthwhile ($285 w/o a membership discount). Has tons of resources, and on rotations I'm always pulling up info for other students that only have a basic drug info resource. If you want a specific list of the books it contains (and it's a long list) check out:
http://www.lexi.com/lexistore/marketing/prodinfo/wince/HHLEXCP0000CE/index.jsp

The ones I use the most are:
* Lexi-Drugs
* The 5-Minute Clinical Consult (gives a brief review of disease states)
* Lexi-Interact (you select drug combinations and it'll alert you for possible interactions)
* Medical Abbreviations (this is one that most students on rotations dont have and so they're always
asking me to check)
* Stedman's Medical Dictionary
* Lexi-CALC (calculates things like CrCl, etc).

Hope this helps! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't looked recently b/c I'm not in yet, but I know ASHP has software/PDAs available at a discount for members. I've had HP Jornada w/pocketPC, but I've never had to use Palm, so I couldn't really make a fair comparison. I did like the Windows familiarity though. Mine also had excel/MS word so I could keep school files on it.

I also have a dell Axim. I couldn't live without my PDA this last school year. It was nice being able to immediately look up drugs and health conditions. I have Lexi-comp. They actually came to our school to demo it and we got it at the APhA student price of $212. I love my lexi-comp!

Computer Scientist point of view.

Palm is a more straightforward interface. Synchronization is also simple and tends to have less problems then Microsoft's Activesync.

On the other hand, PocketPC is similar to Windows so maybe the learning curve isn't to bad. It integrates well with MS Office and Outlook if you need those connections. (although third party software such as KeySuite of Docs to Go from dataviz work pretty with with Palm OS) Many types of devices exist that run PocketPC which can be a problem. Many companies just throw features on the device to make it marketable but it doesn't work that well. Do some research, look at reviews (CNET.com), and spend the money on a device that best meets your needs.

In then end decide what software you need, then get the device that best suites the software. If money isn't a concern and the software supports it I would go with Palm Treo smart phone. That way you only have to carry one device instead of a cell phone and a PDA. You can get a Treo with Palm OS or PocketPC so whichever version you need for the Pharma software is the way to go.

If you just something to run the software and Palm OS is acceptable, the Palm Tungsten is thin, lightweight, and has a great display.

Computer Scientist point of view.

Palm is a more straightforward interface. Synchronization is also simple and tends to have less problems then Microsoft's Activesync.

On the other hand, PocketPC is similar to Windows so maybe the learning curve isn't to bad. It integrates well with MS Office and Outlook if you need those connections. (although third party software such as KeySuite of Docs to Go from dataviz work pretty with with Palm OS) Many types of devices exist that run PocketPC which can be a problem. Many companies just throw features on the device to make it marketable but it doesn't work that well. Do some research, look at reviews (CNET.com), and spend the money on a device that best meets your needs.

In then end decide what software you need, then get the device that best suites the software. If money isn't a concern and the software supports it I would go with Palm Treo smart phone. That way you only have to carry one device instead of a cell phone and a PDA. You can get a Treo with Palm OS or PocketPC so whichever version you need for the Pharma software is the way to go.

If you just something to run the software and Palm OS is acceptable, the Palm Tungsten is thin, lightweight, and has a great display.

Besodes the "Palm Treo smart phone," what other pocket phone PCs have a screen size similar to that of the Dell Axim X50V? What is attractive of the Palm Treo smart phone is the "all in one package" but I am certainly in love w/ large screens (whether it be digital cameras or pocket PCs).

I'm probably goin to go with a Palm TX, Axim x51v or IPAQ hx2700.....any thoughts on those???

also, as far as software goes, i am probably goin to just go with Midwestern's software thru their library which is free and see how that works, if that's not enough, i will probably buy lexi-complete.

any thoughts or suggestions?????????