Panicking about inteviews and need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redjack2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was stupid and only applied to 10 prelim programs. Considering that I only have 5 interviews and risk not matching, my school contacted me and urged me to apply to more programs. It's December 11 today. Are there any programs either prelim or transitional that are still accepting applications?

I realize how foolish I was to only apply to 10, if you think I am screwed then say so but I would appreciate advice as well. I shot myself in the foot and am already irritated at this whole process. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to any other specialty besides prelim? and why only applied to 10?

I applied to specialty that requires prelim year and so far I only have 6 prelims interviews. I doubt there are programs that are still giving out IV invites...the only way you get them is if people cancel, but worse case scenario is to scramble the prelim year, which isn't that bad.

I know it may be considered rude, annoying, or improper etiquette to outright phone a PC and ask about any openings, but your current situation may merit some extraordinary action....get on tha' horn and try to weasel into some cancellations!
Also, if it is any consolation, I hear scrambling (or the more etymologically pleasing SOAPing) into a prelim year is entirely possible so, though you may have to endure the hellish 12 months of scut known as prelim surg, you will still be right on track for your specialty afterwards. GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to a specialty that requires a prelim. I was arrogant and thought that I could easily get prelim and only chose for geographic reasons (close to my fiancee). I guess I can scramble but at this stage of the game it's scary to contemplate. I guess I can always do what samsoniter said and call programs...It's already a no right?

Gee whiz, I'm panicking more about PGY1 than my advanced interviews!

Are you applying to any other specialty besides prelim? and why only applied to 10?

I applied to specialty that requires prelim year and so far I only have 6 prelims interviews. I doubt there are programs that are still giving out IV invites...the only way you get them is if people cancel, but worse case scenario is to scramble the prelim year, which isn't that bad.

I applied to a specialty that requires a prelim. I was arrogant and thought that I could easily get prelim and only chose for geographic reasons (close to my fiancee). I guess I can scramble but at this stage of the game it's scary to contemplate. I guess I can always do what samsoniter said and call programs...It's already a no right?

Gee whiz, I'm panicking more about PGY1 than my advanced interviews!

Don't bother trying to get a TY at this point. Try to get prelim IVs at your advanced IVs. Also, d/w ur school re: staying w/ them for a PY or having them create a spot for u. What's good is that u have 5 IVs, which isn't horrible but u should try to double that. Arrogance is prolly the most common cause of scrambling into prelim Surg but at least uve recognized ur mistake and u have time before then. Good luck!

Don't bother trying to get a TY at this point. Try to get prelim IVs at your advanced IVs. Also, d/w ur school re: staying w/ them for a PY or having them create a spot for u. What's good is that u have 5 IVs, which isn't horrible but u should try to double that. Arrogance is prolly the most common cause of scrambling into prelim Surg but at least uve recognized ur mistake and u have time before then. Good luck!

You honestly think you need 10 interviews? I have 10 (7 TY) but was going to cancel 2 of the prelim meds.

I was stupid and only applied to 10 prelim programs. Considering that I only have 5 interviews and risk not matching, my school contacted me and urged me to apply to more programs. It's December 11 today. Are there any programs either prelim or transitional that are still accepting applications?
!

If your school is so concerned why dont they just rank you to match at their prelim med program. The medicine programs usually are not too picky about prelims and will almost certainly give a spot to the home students. At my school they dont even interview home students for prelims. You just apply and will automatically get ranked.

Depends...are u a betting man (with the stakes being if u're wrong, u spend a year in hell at best and at worst lose ur adv position)? Based on the CO prob curve, IIRC, the risk of this with 7 TY and 1 PM is ~10%. (Risk is higher if these are more competitive than avg TYs)

This whole match process makes me irrational about percentages and risk management. Thanks for the heads up though, you've convinced me to cancel 1 and roll the dice with 9.

I have a few ophtho programs that have TYs built in if you match there and want it so I guess that's another safety valve.

I'm in the same boat...Should I apply to more prelims at this point or is it too late?? I'm a DO, and what about scrambling into traditonal years??? eeek:eek:

i have 7 prelim/TY intervioews... hoping thats enough..