Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Panicking

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ijk90825, 05.23.12.

1. Thanks to Crack the DAT

Thanks to DAT Destroyer
  1. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    My test is in a week (30th) and I took my first topscore test

I took topscore #1 science section and scored 17/20/17, bio gc and oc

on datqvault i've been getting 18~20s on bio, 24~27 on gc and 19~20 on oc - which isn't too great but still better than the topscore.

I thought I was somewhat prepared and shocked by the score, should I postpone my test?
  2. Elliott D

Elliott D

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you don't feel ready then postpone a week. Take the extra week to finish all of your practice tests, reviewing one day, test test next day, review weak areas next, take test next day etc.

Your scores aren't terrible though, Topscore is somewhat harder. Do what you feel is best. An extra week may pay off though.
  3. Member 8586

Member 8586

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    did it seem difficult or did you make careless mistakes? how did difficulty feel compared to qvault...im taking qvault now and am afraid of the same because im not sure how it compares to the actual DAT :-/ im really nervous to take my first topscore....you can expect 1-3 points higher on your actual compared to topscore according to most people though...you may want to consider delaying a week or taking another topscore and see how you do first
  4. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i'm a decent gen chem person so most of my gen chem stuffs are clueless mistakes and/or conceptual questions which i'm not very strong at. organic chemistry are mixture of both and so is bio i think. but there were number of bio questions that i wasn't familiar with and had no clue with on topscore.
  5. Hygienist

Hygienist

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    im also about the same boat as you :confused: Contemplating rescheduling...

I would say if you feel like you have more to do and you don't feel confident then you can reschedule. Do you have more practice tests to do or uncovered material? From looking at other people results practice tests are not a real measure of how well you will do.

Good Luck.
  6. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I mean I always can study more, you know?
    I'm not a big practice test person like people say it's important to measure your time, I always have lots of time left except for reading. I don't think materials on topscore or achiever will be extraordinarily good compared to the other sources, but i wouldn't know until i take the test.

I think I'm always going to feel like I'm not ready so I'm going to make the decision very last second (noon 2 business days in advance, so monday noon) and I'll push it a week or two at max. I know I won't study as hard if I postpone it for another month or so
  7. njohns24

njohns24

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: 05.31.12
  8. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think I'm doing fairly well on nonscience sections.
    English is not my first language so I somewhat have an excuse for not doing super well, I guess?
    I took two datqvault reading tests so far and got 21 and 22, I know people say datqvault is supposed to be easier than the actual DAT but I'm assuming I won't have too big of a problem getting 18 on the section. I can live with 17 even lol

Actually, math is my first language (lol) so I'm not too worried about it. It takes me about 20-25 minutes finishing datqvault math section.

on PAT I took 5 CDP tests so far and got 21 - 25.
  9. Member 8586

Member 8586

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    what are u scoring on qvault math and whatd you score on topscore?
  10. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I didn't try topscore math, I didn't have enough time so I just tried on science - since that's all I care as of now.

qvault I took 3 math tests so far, 1 9 and 10, 1 i got 24 (35/40 and I skipped 2 trig questions cuz it was before i studied about it), 9 i got 22 (31/40) and 10 I got 24 (35/40)

I didn't proofread (sounds weird - proofreading math) after I finished it, so I usually had 15~20 minutes left when I finished it
  11. TXpredent

TXpredent Always confused

SDN 2+ Year Member
    you should look at my breakdown, I have my last TopScore test scores up and my real DAT scores.
  12. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I actually did see your post before! nice scores btw lol

How did you think of the reading compared to the topscore reading?
    Last edited: 05.24.12
  13. TXpredent

TXpredent Always confused

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I thought the level of difficulty of the questions were accurate. However, the way it's formatted is not like the DAT, like when you move to the next question, it starts back up at the top of reading again.

I wouldn't worry about your Top Score scores being a little low, mine were too.
  14. Member 8586

Member 8586

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    are you referring to topscore or qvault? and just reading section or all?
  15. Hygienist

Hygienist

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    @TXpredent

My Dat is also in a week and although your Topscore results were very encouraging to me compared to your real ones, I have not seen many people going from 18AA to 23AA. Usually its a 1-2 or maybe 3 point advance. its making me very worried. Did you do anything differently to raise your score? or you felt the real deal was easier than topscore?
  16. Dent22519

Dent22519

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Try not to worry to much about your topscore practice tests! You'll score a couple points higher as long as you know your main concepts and learn from those careless mistakes, then you'll do great!
  17. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    LOL as I said before my test is on the 30th, I thought I had until Monday noon to change my date but as I think of it now, two business days before noon was today because of memorial day rofl. I guess I'm destined to take it on the 30th.

Thank you for encouraging word guys!
  18. Hygienist

Hygienist

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Lol, I was just about to ask u if ur going to postpone it or not! I would say in these couple of days go over ur mistakes in topscore and Mayb do destroyer again.
    Mines on June 4. Im not going to postpone it cuz i feel I'm just running away from it lol

Let us kno how it went! Looking forward to ur "breakdown"!
  19. ijk90825

ijk90825

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't really have a breakdown - the best thing I can do would be posting my datqvault scores up probably lol

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal