paragraphs or bullets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

no beans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about how I'm going to write my AMCAS activities. As I understand it, you get 700 characters including spaces to describe each one. Then, in a separate space, if you pick an activity as one of your 3 most meaningful, you get an extra 1325 characters to describe what you learned from it and/or how it was meaningful to you? You might have space to include an anecdote? Is this right?

I am also wondering if for the regular activities it is more common to describe them in paragraph form or if it's better to squeeze in more pertinent information by doing it in bullet form. What is the most accepted/ common way to write them? If you have space in the 700 characters can you describe what you learned from these activities also, or what is the best way to use these characters. It seems like so little space. I'm also asking is it is more important to describe what you did or what you got out of it when the space is so limited it doesn't allow for both. Also, is it common to mix and match and use bullets for what you did, and paragraph form for what you learned?

Sorry for all the questions. I realize they have been covered here and there in the Activities thread, but I'd like to know what is the most commonly accepted or expected method to use.

Members don't see this ad.

x

Last edited:
You can do it however you want, but my personal preference is to keep everything in paragraph form. I think with every activity you should be focusing on what you got out of it rather than just a list of things you did. I recommend watching some videos that the university of washington has posted with their dean of admissions:
http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...pplicants/Pages/AdvicefromAdmissionsDean.aspx

The exploring medicine video is great for advice on writing your personal statement and filling out amcas activities.

Either format is fine, OP. I used a paragraph format as well. The format probably doesn't matter as long as you're able to discuss what you gained from the activities, as Slev said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank-you all. But isn't it important to say what you did so they know the scope of your involvement? Let's take research. How important is it to write a synopsis of what you did vs. what you learned? Or for a free clinic- describing what kind of a clinic, the population there, what your responsibilities were. Aren't all these things crucial too? I just don't know how to split things up and make the best use of the space.

Slev thanks for the link. I saw last year's version, but hadn't see the last one. It's been a long time so I'll listen to it again tomorrow. I hope it will give me ideas.

There will be an opportunity to list 15 activities, for which I stuck to 'this is what I did'. In addition to those 15, you may choose 3 of those to select as your most meaningful. For these I addressed 'this is what I learned' and how they related to medicine.

Oh, so you only discuss what you learned or got out of it if it's one of your most meaningful 3?

Thank-you all. But isn't it important to say what you did so they know the scope of your involvement? Let's take research. How important is it to write a synopsis of what you did vs. what you learned? Or for a free clinic- describing what kind of a clinic, the population there, what your responsibilities were. Aren't all these things crucial too? I just don't know how to split things up and make the best use of the space.

It is important to provide some information about the scope of your involvement, but it's possible to do both in paragraph form. I just summarized the background info (what I did, where I did it, etc.) in one or two sentences for most of my activities and then wrote about what I learned from it and the results of the activity (if applicable). For certain activities, I also wrote about my motivation for pursuing it as well. Space is an issue, but it's doable if you write succinctly.

It is important to provide some information about the scope of your involvement, but it's possible to do both in paragraph form. I just summarized the background info (what I did, where I did it, etc.) in one or two sentences for most of my activities and then wrote about what I learned from it and the results of the activity (if applicable). For certain activities, I also wrote about my motivation for pursuing it as well. Space is an issue, but it's doable if you write succinctly.

I agree. You should only talk about "what you did" if it isn't clear from the activity title, and I definitely don't think it should be the entirety of your activity description. I've read a few applications that have done that and I think they miss out on a very big opportunity to let readers in on what's important to the applicant on a personal level. Many people will disagree, but I don't think you can do that effectively in bullet format (and I have yet to actually see an applicant do that thus far).

Thank-you all. I guess I'll have to start trying to sort it out. I'm glad I asked. I'll have to revamp my ideas. I pictured it much more like a cv type format. It's going to be difficult to fit everything I have to say in such a small space. Napaholic, I guess succintly is the key word. Thanks again, everyone.:D

Pre-wrote my AMCAS activities under the impression the limit was 1300 for the three most meaningful...is it really 1325? Thanks!

Thank-you all. I guess I'll have to start trying to sort it out. I'm glad I asked. I'll have to revamp my ideas. I pictured it much more like a cv type format. It's going to be difficult to fit everything I have to say in such a small space. Napaholic, I guess succintly is the key word. Thanks again, everyone.:D

Brevity is the soul of wit!

Pre-wrote my AMCAS activities under the impression the limit was 1300 for the three most meaningful...is it really 1325? Thanks!

A whole new world of possibilities just opened up if that's the case :D!

Any particular reason?

At first the commentary was limited to very few characters. Then it was lengthened and people were writing long essays that the adcoms complained about (they didn't know that the maximum length has been increased and just thought everyone was being too wordy). At that point, I thought that bullets were a good way of making the point without a big gray box of text. Now the number of characters permitted for most items is short again with an additional section for up to 3 items that are most influential. I've seen very few people using bullets this year and it doesn't seen necessary.