paranoid personality disorder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cash davis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New to the forum. I'm not a psychologist nor am I a student. Is this allowed? I hope so because I don't know where else to ask this. I'm in quite a dilemma. I live with my parents right now. My dad has what I think is paranoid personality disorder. I've researched and researched it and that's what it sounds like to me. He claims that I am saying things through the vent and he hears it downstairs. My mother and I have tested it and you can't even hear anything. I spoke very loudly as well with my mouth right to the vent and my mother heard nothing at all. He also thinks that I'm going out late at night to meet with his former co-workers to tell them about some event that happened before I was born. I didn't even know what this event was until my mother told me after this happened. He's totally paranoid of me. He's now telling my mother that he thinks I want to kill him. I feel terrible. It's the worst feeling in the world to be accused of all these things and no possible way to prove your innocence.

He and my mother have been going to a psychologist for the past year or so. He's got her convinced that I'm doing these things. I just couldn't believe my ears when I heard that. My mother said that the psychologist thinks that I'm doing these things to break up their marriage. My dad also evidently brought in a recording, and she confirmed to my mother that he has evidence. Funny thing is he won't share this recording with my mother. My mom knows I'm innocent. She's totally with me. She knows he has a past history of keying into certain individuals and becoming highly suspicious and untrustful of them. In the past it's been mainly neighbors. Nothing too extreme. He doesn't do this with his friends or any other family members. So if he has PPD it's moderate.

So now after hearing all this I've told my mom I want to go see this Psychologist. I have to prove my innocence somehow. I also think it's not right that she isn't trying to help him. I know that by me moving out that would solve things, but right now it's difficult for me to do that. I've had my own share of mental health issues in the past with anxiety and I've made great strides in my life in the past 4-5 years now. It's just a matter of time that I'll be able to move out now that I'm more financially stable. My dad didn't exactly help my situation. He hated the idea of me seeing a psychiatrist in the past back when I didn't know what my issues were.

Anyway, how should I approach this with the Psychologist? If she totally believes my dad, what do I do? She's heard the part about "speaking into vents" and she truly believes that. She thinks I'm doing that to tear my parents apart. I'm also afraid that our meeting could turn into an "about me." I already know that I need to get out of here... it's now more urgent than ever. I'm sure that's what she's going to say. My dad and I will never ever reconnect in the future however if I should move out and this isn't resolved. A professional needs to assess him and verify there is something wrong. Would a Psychologist ever agree just to retain a client? I would greatly appreciate your advice and thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.