[ ]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noflag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[ ]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You can definitely use it for your advantage as you have first-hand experience of living in a family of physicians and seeing the sacrifices that it takes. So you can use it to talk how your interest in medicine first sparked.

The type of parental influence that's disliked on SDN is when parents force their kids into medicine, which doesn't seem to be your case.

I think that's reasonable as a PART of your personal statement. I think you should also talk about seeing the other side of medicine--like the intense training/commitment/hours, etc because I think having parents in medicine exposes you to that so much more than shadowing could ever do and that's a really valuable perspective to have before deciding to enter medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely include and talk about what you have seen personally, not fully on the parents part.

It's a great way to say thats how you first got interested in medicine. However, don't make it all about your parents. You need to provide some other reasons why you are driven to medicine other than just your parents.

I think it's unfortunate how people clinging to rules of thumb (like not mentioning one's parents being doctors as a reason for one's interest in medicine) stifles people like you. With as many premeds as I knew in college who were uninformed about the real challenges and demands of a career in medicine, if I were an adcom I would look upon exposure to the field through family members as a major boon.

Good luck!