parents are funny in this process :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mom: han14tra, did you pass your "MCAPS"?
Me: It's the MCAT, and its not pass/fail.
Mom: Well, then how does the medical school decide who to take if everyone passes?
Me: Uhhh...
Mom: Don't worry, you'll get in everywhere you apply.
Me: No I won't.
Mom: Yes, you will.
Me: Mom, I've told you a hundred times that I've already gotten 11 rejections.
Mom: What?!? Why would they reject you? What's their number? They need to know how big of mistake they're making.
Me: Mom!!
Mom: What did I say?

LMAO! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

so not my parents, who are very knowledgeable, but my grandparents wrote this in their christmas letter:
kac714 is working in a lab and passed the medical school entrance exam... I almost burst out laughing in front of them because it reminded me of this thread...

my grandpa came from a really really poor family and went through a lot of stuff in his life. his mom died when he was 10 and his stepmom sent him and his really siblings away when she had her own children. he lived through ww2 and was in the army. he started his own business from scratch. he is now 84 years old. and when i got into medical school my grandma says he tells EVERYONE he sees, do you know my granddaugther got into an AMERICAN medical school. :D she says he also likes to call people up just to tell them this. i called him and joked i'm going to have to start charging him for everytime he tells someone

Members don't see this ad :)
my grandpa came from a really really poor family and went through a lot of stuff in his life. his mom died when he was 10 and his stepmom sent him and his really siblings away when she had her own children. he lived through ww2 and was in the army. he started his own business from scratch. he is now 84 years old. and when i got into medical school my grandma says he tells EVERYONE he sees, do you know my granddaugther got into an AMERICAN medical school. :D she says he also likes to call people up just to tell them this. i called him and joked i'm going to have to start charging him for everytime he tells someone
awww that is so cute...

Yeah, my grandmother does the med school name-dropping too. It's kinda embarrassing:oops: But I love her, and you can't say anything against an 88 year old :D

My dad's a doctor and when I was picking schools he would come home like every day and be like,

"You know so-and-so?
Me: No dad, I don't (My town's 150,000 people - I don't know everyone my age. Geez dad)
Dad: No? Oh well, her mom's a nurse at the hospital and she applied to such-and-such a place. You should apply there.
Me: Yeah dad, why?
Dad: Because she really liked it when she visited.
Me: But dad my list already has 15 that I like.
Dad: I just think you should consider it.

After several weeks of this,
Me: Dad!! I cannot add every school your friends' children applied to - I will never finish the applications!
Dad: Okay okay sure, but so-and-so's son just got off the waitlist at Harvard...did you apply there?
Me: No dad.
Dad: Well you should think about it.
Me: ...

So when does med school start again? Shouldn't you be studying or something? - Dad

Do I have to wear a sportscoat to that white-tie event?
Dad, it's white COAT. And no, because it's closed.
What do you mean closed?
As in, you and mom (or anyone else's parents) arent invited. Only M1's and distinguished guests.
I'm distinguished. *rolls eyes*
Never mind, I'm just grateful I don'thave to wear a sportscoat.
:lol:

wait i thought white coat was open, i thought parents were invited!!! i already told my parents

me too!! i have like 4 people who want to go lol

Wait, parent's aren't allowed to be at our white coat ceremonies? No way!

I'm thinking this policy is school-specific, because I know a lot of schools use this time to ask for donations.

So when does med school start again? Shouldn't you be studying or something? - Dad

Do I have to wear a sportscoat to that white-tie event?
Dad, it's white COAT. And no, because it's closed.
What do you mean closed?
As in, you and mom (or anyone else's parents) arent invited. Only M1's and distinguished guests.
I'm distinguished. *rolls eyes*
Never mind, I'm just grateful I don'thave to wear a sportscoat.
:lol:

That's weird. Your school is weird to not let students family come to the white coat ceremony. At all the other white coat ceremonies I know of, esp. those related to Fl. schools relatives are invited as are friends and whoever else wants to come to witness it. The distinguished guests and things you mentioned are only those who are on the stage. Not the only ones able to come in general.

Wait, parent's aren't allowed to be at our white coat ceremonies? No way!

I'm thinking this policy is school-specific, because I know a lot of schools use this time to ask for donations.

I'm pretty sure it must just be the school OleMissbabydoc is going to be attending.

I know all Fl. schools allow you to bring as many friends and family members as you want. At USF it is in the auditorium. and there are def. enough seats for whoever wants to come and see their friends or family member. Most of the time parents come at the very least.

Members don't see this ad :)
bumping this thread because it's hilarious.

but also because i'm wondering... do you guys always have people asking you, "oh, have you heard back from schools yet?" because i do and it's driving me crazy.

but also because i'm wondering... do you guys always have people asking you, "oh, have you heard back from schools yet?" because i do and it's driving me crazy.

:mad: I feel you!!!! I'm already freaking out enough as it is without people constantly asking "did you get in yet?" or "have you gotten anymore interviews????" AHHHHH.... when i'm in the fireworks and parade down the street will let you know!!!!!

That is so heartwarming... :)

at least your mom cares each interview my mother says that is nice and when the acceptances came in thats nice and when I told go to my new school website and see how great it is she went to ULC I said what's that I am going to UCF she said oh LOL yeah dysfunction runs deep in my family:love::love::love:
accepted UCF 2014

at least your mom cares each interview my mother says that is nice and when the acceptances came in thats nice and when I told go to my new school website and see how great it is she went to ULC I said what's that I am going to UCF she said oh LOL yeah dysfunction runs deep in my family:love::love::love:
accepted UCF 2014

congrats!

Yeah my parents have taken a hands-off approach since I was about 16... almost 10 years ago. But they were at least excited when I got my acceptance.

...but the first thing I was told when I did well on the MCAT was "see, I told you your dad would work a miracle..." (uhm yeah cause my studying a zillion hours a day had nothing to do with it...).

My parents are convinced that prayer got me into medical school! I'm not even kidding you. All those months of studying for the MCAT, maintaining a good GPA throughout undergrad, research, volunteering, shadowing etc. etc. - all of that is almost irrelevant to them!

The first thing my dad said to me when I told him my MCAT score was around the 90th percentile was, "see! God helps those who ask for His help... you need to say a prayer right now and thank God for..."

The thing is, I'm an agnostic who does not believe in organized religion at all! I stopped believing in a "God" a long time ago, and I've definitely never prayed to God to ask to get into medical school. Do they know this? No. Will I ever tell them? No, for fear of breaking their hearts. But I wish I would be congratulated for my success - not God. God didn't get me into medical school. I got me into medical school!

My mom just really does not understand the whole medical school process. I still don't think she understands screening and why every school isn't jumping at the chance to interview me.

My aunt (who is much much older so she's always been like a grandma) will not leave me alone about why I'm not getting an MD/PhD like my cousin did. No matter how many times I tell her I don't want/wouldn't use a PhD or that I don't have enough research experience she still won't let it go. Also, instead of being excited about me getting interviews at schools she's always ranting to my mother about why I'm applying to all these schools and why can't I just go to UIC like my cousin did. You would think an MD/PhD allows you to walk on water and UIC is the only place that can teach you how.

My dad likes to remind me at every chance he gets to make sure to get my residency applications in early...as in for choosing specialties...in four years.

yeah that happened to me last year the first time I attempted to apply. It was annoying and in some ways even more so when it was the nonpremeds and non medical people cuz they were more annoying about it.

this is a funny thread...lol. I remember after I took the MCAT n got an ok score my mom was so excited about me "passing" the MCAT. She called everyone and told all her customers (she's a hairdresser) that I passed it. Its funny how simple she thinks this is...lol

yeah that happened to me last year the first time I attempted to apply. It was annoying and in some ways even more so when it was the nonpremeds and non medical people cuz they were more annoying about it.

haha yeah, that's who i was talking about. people who had no knowledge of the application cycle other than the fact that it happens waaaay before you actually leave for school were asking me if i had gotten in yet-- in JULY. :laugh:

where are all of those annoying people now that i have something to brag about? :p

haha yeah, that's who i was talking about. people who had no knowledge of the application cycle other than the fact that it happens waaaay before you actually leave for school were asking me if i had gotten in yet-- in JULY. :laugh:

where are all of those annoying people now that i have something to brag about? :p

People have no idea how competitive med admissions are.

Just tell them that "I was accepted at X, and they get X thousand apps for X number of seats" and then watch them blink and swallow hard...

Haha - I got a secondary application request by mail from Washington University in St. louis and my mom was like... "OH MY GOD, IS THIS AN ACCEPTANCE FROM WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS!!!"

Then she opened the mail and...

My parents managed it so that I got my first rejection on my 21st birthday!!

So apparently the thin envelope from Cornell came in a couple of days before I turned 21, but with their touchingly neverending faith in their awesome brilliant kid (who was totally going to get into Harvard - how could Harvard reject their baby?) my parents saved it until my birthday and gave it to me with all my cards and told me I got into Cornell. Needless to say, I didn't.

They now know that email is good and snail mail is bad!

My parents managed it so that I got my first rejection on my 21st birthday!!

So apparently the thin envelope from Cornell came in a couple of days before I turned 21, but with their touchingly neverending faith in their awesome brilliant kid (who was totally going to get into Harvard - how could Harvard reject their baby?) my parents saved it until my birthday and gave it to me with all my cards and told me I got into Cornell. Needless to say, I didn't.

They now know that email is good and snail mail is bad!

ouch.

yeah it is true no med majors do not understand this is a long process and the application starts a year before I am a science teacher at a high school and the secretary asks me what am I going to do with my daughter if i match in Texas i said i will worry about that when the time comes she said but isn't that next year i said no I start med school next year she said OHHHH. :love::love:
UCF 2014

Grandma story:

So, like a lot applicants I applied to both MD and DO schools. Being from the mountain west, most people don't even know what a DO is. After interviewing at one school I brought home the packet and she started to read it. It had some brochures about OMM and the like and you could see her face totally sink and she realized that this was not what to her would be a "normal" medical school.

Grandma: So, this isn't like a school where you become a doctor.
Me: No, it is. It's a medical school.
Grandma: Well, wouldn't you rather go to a regular medical school like (state school).
Me: It is a regular medical school. You study all the same stuff, but you also get special training in OMM. (explanation) walks out of room
Grandma: (overheard) They sound like quacks to me!
Me to myself: Thanks grandma, this is my second choice of school.

:laugh: :laugh: yeah people bother you until they get what they want out of you, their nosiness fulfilled. Then they leave you a lone. I've seen it happen many times when I was in Fl. it got pretty sad after awhile esp. when it came to the hometown.

yeah it is true no med majors do not understand this is a long process and the application starts a year before I am a science teacher at a high school and the secretary asks me what am I going to do with my daughter if i match in Texas i said i will worry about that when the time comes she said but isn't that next year i said no I start med school next year she said OHHHH. :love::love:
UCF 2014

faith2, i'd like to introduce you to my friend, the period. i hope you two will grow to love each other. :rolleyes:

I am glad that I can discuss the med school application process with my dad and have someone to share my excitement with!

With app season in full swing I can't imagine we don't have more funny stories....:(
It'll continue into your residency application process. My parents still don't have it quite figured out. "Which specialty are you going into again? Have you decided?" YES, IT'S THE ONE I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU REPEATEDLY. "Oh, yeah. Is that 2 years? Oh, it's five years?"

Amen. I applied last year, had no acceptances, could tell things weren't going good, and had people all down my back asking my status. Boo. This year, ain't a soul to be found.

faith2, i'd like to introduce you to my friend, the period. i hope you two will grow to love each other. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

----

Also, I hate it when other pre-professional students (esp those pre-lawyers) try to compare our application processes. No, they are not the same. No, they do not even slightly resemble each other. Do you even know what an interview is?!? And their turnaround time is like a month or two? GTFOH with that bs.

But, back on-topic, I love how my more uses her limited free time to research about the process and med schools I'm applying to. Shoot, she's starting to know more about them than I do.

Mom: Hunny, when was Med School X founded?
Me: :confused: idk mom...
Mom: In [insert year]. You really should know that for your interview. What have you been doing online?
Me: No I don't. I need to know mission statements, special programs, etc.
Mom: Who chartered the school?
Me: Are you serious right now?!?

She does this every interview without fail. Also, she recently started sending me random articles from the NEJM. smh. I love her enthusiasm and support, but it's so misguided! lol

So the first two schools I heard back from, I was waitlisted at. My parents decided that this was the best way to console me:

Dad: well your grades and your MCAT scores were good. so it must have been the interview.

Mom: why don't you be a pharmacist instead. they just look at your scores.

Thank you, parents.

It'll continue into your residency application process. My parents still don't have it quite figured out. "Which specialty are you going into again? Have you decided?" YES, IT'S THE ONE I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU REPEATEDLY. "Oh, yeah. Is that 2 years? Oh, it's five years?"

LOL Reminds me of when silver c holla used to post those funny stories of telling her parents stuff and they'd not listen.

Meanwhile, I'm not even really thinking of applying to med school (with my lousy GPA and all...) but I hear this all the time:

Dad: Why don't apply to [insert name of school].
Me: Dad, they need a minimum of 3.3 for this school. I don't even have that!
Dad: Well, you never know. Everyone applying this year could have really bad grades.
Me: Trust me, they won't. People get rejected with 4.0's for crying out loud!
Dad: You won't know until you try!
Me: But, but...who am I supposed to get reference letters from?!!
Dad: Can't you just ask one of your science profs?
Me: But the reason why I have a lousy GPA in the first place is because I did lousy in those science classes! So no, I don't think I can ask them for a reference.
Dad: Well, you won't know until you try.

[conversation repeats every so often] Head, meet Desk. :rolleyes:

Haha, oh parents!

My dad and I have always had a kind of awkward relationship (we don't often get past small talk, ect.). When I first told my parents I had decided to go pre-med he acted totally nonchalant with a "whatever makes you happy" sort of reaction.

Two weeks later I got a package from my dad. It was a t-shirt from USF Med School with about 40 brochures...thanks dad, knew you would approve.

This is my favorite thread on SDN.

Oh, and my family was stoked when I "passed" the MCAT too. :D

Haha, oh parents!

My dad and I have always had a kind of awkward relationship (we don't often get past small talk, ect.). When I first told my parents I had decided to go pre-med he acted totally nonchalant with a "whatever makes you happy" sort of reaction.

Two weeks later I got a package from my dad. It was a t-shirt from USF Med School with about 40 brochures...thanks dad, knew you would approve.

So you are a floridian huh? I used to go to USF med for a grad program and before that USF undergrad.

That's pretty funny. :)

My family never quite understood the distinction between undergrad and medical school. When I graduated with my neuroscience BS, they went around telling everyone they knew that I was a neurologist. It took me forever to figure out why random family friends kept calling me with questions before I was even accepted to medical school.

When I got my MS, they thought it was because I needed to "remediate" neurology. I'll never forget the look on my grandparents'/aunts'/uncles' faces when I told them I was going to medical school. All they said was: "Wait, what have you been doing for the last 5 years?"

Oh well, at least they get another 6-7ish years before I shock them with residency...

My family never quite understood the distinction between undergrad and medical school. When I graduated with my neuroscience BS, they went around telling everyone they knew that I was a neurologist. It took me forever to figure out why random family friends kept calling me with questions before I was even accepted to medical school.

When I got my MS, they thought it was because I needed to "remediate" neurology. I'll never forget the look on my grandparents'/aunts'/uncles' faces when I told them I was going to medical school. All they said was: "Wait, what have you been doing for the last 5 years?"

Oh well, at least they get another 6-7ish years before I shock them with residency...

Lol. Priceless!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is hillarious.

For every interview I attend, my dad researches the school's history. He always has some "light reading" for me to do about the history on the plane ride or at the hotel the night before- it's never been less than about 200 pages that he prints off the internet.

Also, I usually text him at the end of the day to let him know I'm finished interviewing and he always calls about 30 minutes later:

Dad: "Hi honey, how was it?"
Me: "Hey, it went really well!"
Dad: "Oh that's great! Did they accept you??"
Me: "Dad, they don't accept people on interview day, I'll have to wait a while to find out."
Dad: "Oh, well, did they tell you what kind of scholarships they're going to offer you? Do you know what apartments you'll want to live in?"

(Sigh)... He's too funny. Thank goodness my interview season is OVER!

For every interview I attend, my dad researches the school's history. He always has some "light reading" for me to do about the history on the plane ride or at the hotel the night before- it's never been less than about 200 pages that he prints off the internet.

Also, I usually text him at the end of the day to let him know I'm finished interviewing and he always calls about 30 minutes later:

Dad: "Hi honey, how was it?"
Me: "Hey, it went really well!"
Dad: "Oh that's great! Did they accept you??"
Me: "Dad, they don't accept people on interview day, I'll have to wait a while to find out."

Dad: "Oh, well, did they tell you what kind of scholarships they're going to offer you? Do you know what apartments you'll want to live in?"

(Sigh)... He's too funny. Thank goodness my interview season is OVER!

i'm kind of surprised he wouldn't know that with the amount of "light reading" he digs up for you.

i'm kind of surprised he wouldn't know that with the amount of "light reading" he digs up for you.

hehe. the dad doesn't necessarily have to read up on the material he prints out himself. But good eye for contradictions.