parents are funny in this process :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL this thread is hilarious... I haven't even finished reading the entire thing. Anyway, parents, as crazy as they are, are sometimes the best support you could ever want.

My mom works at the cafeteria of the local hospital and ever since I started the whole application process she kept saying that she's saving up her vacation days so she can attend my white coat ceremony and even told me what she would say to everyone. Needless to say she was very happy when I got in and was able to go to the white coat ceremony. Now her coworkers and superiors treat her with more respect. Crazy how people react differently when they know you're going to be something.

I tease her though that I'm going to quit med school and start working at blockbuster so I can get free/discounted rentals ... which I wouldn't mind doing over summer vacation between M1 and M2 years. Could be fun.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm kind of surprised he wouldn't know that with the amount of "light reading" he digs up for you.

Sorry I should have said this- he knows that they don't give out acceptances on interview day, but he's convinced that when they meet me they'll accept me on the spot. That's why he always asks.

Sorry I should have said this- he knows that they don't give out acceptances on interview day, but he's convinced that when they meet me they'll accept me on the spot. That's why he always asks.

oh he's so silly. i love how parents swear all the schools will break the rules for their precious little babies... my mom kept trying to convince me to apply to harvard, hopkins, and other schools that she has heard of. and i don't have the kind of grades those schools are looking for. but she was all "do it anyways, they'll still like you!". needless to say i didn't waste my time or money applying to places that i knew would reject me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every acceptance I got my mom broadcasted to my entire local church, i wasn't even in the state.....when i got back home they all were calling me Dr.

If your mom and/or dad is around when you find out about your acceptance to medical school, give them a great big hug! :love:

My parents opened all my letters but I found out about my acceptances before them because they were via phone call. They're pretty understanding of the process as a whole though. :)

My friends and acquaintances always ask me if I heard back from a school already...I always ask which one cause I don't want to give EVERYTHING away and then they ask me about the school I just had an interview in like two days ago. :rolleyes:

My mom (a pharmacist) always tells me that when I graduate med school I'll have to give her my entire sheet for prescriptions so she can write herself some without having to see the doctor (not illegally..she just doesn't wanna waste time at the doctor lol). When I refuse, she tells me that I owe her for my birth and raising me for 21 years haha. Also sometimes she calls me a project of a Dr or a quarter Dr cause I haven't been through med school yet and my brother is half doctor cause he's halfway through med school.

I :love: my family!

My mom answers almost every phone call with "Hi honey..any news?"

My mom calls me every. Single. Day.

My parents opened all my letters but I found out about my acceptances before them because they were via phone call. They're pretty understanding of the process as a whole though. :)

My friends and acquaintances always ask me if I heard back from a school already...I always ask which one cause I don't want to give EVERYTHING away and then they ask me about the school I just had an interview in like two days ago. :rolleyes:

My mom (a pharmacist) always tells me that when I graduate med school I'll have to give her my entire sheet for prescriptions so she can write herself some without having to see the doctor (not illegally..she just doesn't wanna waste time at the doctor lol). When I refuse, she tells me that I owe her for my birth and raising me for 21 years haha. Also sometimes she calls me a project of a Dr or a quarter Dr cause I haven't been through med school yet and my brother is half doctor cause he's halfway through med school.

Dude totally love your signature quote. i need to steal that one!!! :D

My mom answers almost every phone call with "Hi honey..any news?"

my mom always asks about other peoples' news too. There is this guy I know who is applying with at the same time and she doesn't even know him, but she always asks me how he did on his interviews haha

Junior year in high school:

Me: I've decided to start college early.
Mother: What?! You'll be missing out on your high school experience...(blah blah blah for however long) I cannot support you missing out on your high school experience.
Me: Thank you for the support, Mom.

Last edited:
I wanna be plastinated if I die!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me: So, I'm now considering becoming a dentist instead of a physician. *holds breath*
Mom: *Literally laughs out loud* Oh, I know who talked you into that one.
Me: No, mother, dad has never even suggested it to me. The idea was sparked by a conversation I had with X friend.
Mom: *Dissapointed silence* Well, I'll hold my tongue on that one.
Me: YOU NEVER WENT TO COLLEGE, YOU'VE BEEN UNEMPLOYED FOR ALMOST TEN YEARS YEARS NOW. WHAT IN THE HELL CAN I DO TO BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU? SHOULD I JUST MARRY A DOCTOR LIKE YOU SO THAT I CAN DIVORCE THEM AND LIVE THE REST OF MY LIFE OFF OF THEIR SAVINGS? WOULD THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY? ...*snaps back to reality* I would probably make a larger income, I'd still go through many of the same courses I would in medical school so I'd still be learning about the body, and as a dentist I'd probably have more time to raise my kids (etc., continuing to defend my reasoning).
Mom: Dentists have the highest suicide rate.
Me: :smack:

I have this feeling with my mother all the time. Makes me feel normal that I'm not the only one who has these moments with their family. My family has no doctors but we have two very close, practically family, very successful dentists. They are all dental school pushers in the family, because (1) we couldn't make it so don't waste your time and (2) dentistry is more suited for women (translation: allows them to have children and sustain the household.)

Ah, sigh. It's like being pestered by that one guy at the bar who can't get the hint that you aren't interested! Even while I was applying -- all through MCAT's, primaries, secondaries, waiting for invites and on through interviewing. It wasn't until I was accepted that they stopped "gently" persuading me into dentistry.

Last edited:
My mom sees a top NYC ophthalmologist (accepts no insurance), but it doesn't seem to help. This morning I have this conversation with her:

Mom: "ishchayill, can you diagnose my eye situation?"
Me: "I'd love to. Can you wait 8 years?"

My mom sees a top NYC ophthalmologist (accepts no insurance), but it doesn't seem to help. This morning I have this conversation with her:

Yeah my mom asks me to diagnose her too...and when I say I don't know anything yet, she calls me a failure and useless (joking of course but yeah it happens a lot). When my brother and I fail to tell her what is wrong with her, she just asks why she's sending us to med school haha.

one of my friends was having horrible cramps and asked if I could take out her uterus yet. haha

typical loving asian mommy during the med cycle last year:

me: I got into a state school! wooohoooo!
mom: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, oh my gawwwwd, oh my gawwwwwdddd! wahhhhh
me: yay! I'm so excited!
(pause...pause...)
me: hello? mom?
(hearing phone sounds in the background, realize mom's on cell phone w/someone else)
mom (talking to someone else): haalllo? guess what? daughta got into X med school! wat bout yo kid? he get accepted yet? oh he did! that's great! my daughter's school is ranked higha! we also gonna have less debt!

typical loving asian mommy during the med cycle last year:

me: I got into a state school! wooohoooo!
mom: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, oh my gawwwwd, oh my gawwwwwdddd! wahhhhh
me: yay! I'm so excited!
(pause...pause...)
me: hello? mom?
(hearing phone sounds in the background, realize mom's on cell phone w/someone else)
mom (talking to someone else): haalllo? guess what? daughta got into X med school! wat bout yo kid? he get accepted yet? oh he did! that's great! my daughter's school is ranked higha! we also gonna have less debt!

this is soo effing true! My mom.. Wont.. Stop... Beating other asian mothers over the head with my acceptance.

I am not Asian, so I was just curious..

Why do all Asian parents seem to be the most annoying/controlling parents out there?

after my acceptance to medical school, my mom bought me a whole chicken from chinatown, for me to practice "anatomy." so i played along and cut it up. then she ordered me to make some curry chicken and stir fry some vegetables and make some salmon miso soup.

i told her that I saw the flimsy relationship between anatomy and cutting a chicken, but what did the other dishes have to do with medicine? she brushed her hand and said, "ahh! why you always worry about future? whateva! good with hands! good cook! yummy dish! lots of love! cook for parents! have good time! relax lahhhr!!!" :( wtf?

haha your mom is hilarious. too bad that anatomy lesson turned 3 course meal trick will only work once on you (if it even worked at all). maybe she should've tried it when you were young and gullible. "wow being a great cook will help me get into med school? thanks mom! sure, i'll do the dishes too if i can put it on my application like you said!"

I am not Asian, so I was just curious..

Why do all Asian parents seem to be the most annoying/controlling parents out there?

In Asian countries including India the system to get into medical school or any sort of college program is different from here. Very, very different.

You don't do ECs, explore your own interests. You get in straight after high school like in a lot of other countries and just have to do well on entrance exams that are very difficult.

Like for instance to get into IIT for engineering and still choose what you want to do you have to be in the first 300 or 400 people out of close to 500,000 people taking the exam as my cousin was.

They also have this culture of teaching to accept facts but not question them because many of these countries do not do much research in the country.

So I think these Asian parents are used to how the system is in their country and that's why they sometimes don't get it. Like if you get into a good engineering school like IIT but had to choose whatever was left over because you were not top in the entrance exam even though you got in another school where you could choose whatever field you want, they push to go to IIT.

Parents in Asian countries are also different in that unlike in America where people fight for their individual rights in Asia the family unit is a big deal and you do what your parents enforce of you. In many asian countries people live as joint families with their parents too so its not like you can up and walk out of the situation.

It is a different culture and it is hard to change your ways when you are raised a certain way.

That is when you make her your free patient. haha. :)

my mom sees a top nyc ophthalmologist (accepts no insurance), but it doesn't seem to help. This morning i have this conversation with her:

me: "i'd love to. Can you wait 8 years?"

lol!

Thanks for the explanation gujuDoc!

No problema. That is just my interpretation. I'm sure a few other opinions will have something to add or not. These are my observations.

You guys all have parents who are so involved.... my parents are both in medicine and I feel so grateful they never pushed me into it because I doubt I would have ever wanted to do this if they had.

On an unrelated note, this is a funny convo I had with my mom over the weekend. First:

1. My mom is not religious and doesn't believe in God/heaven/etc.
  2. When my family drinks, for some reason we always end up on the topic of death/dying/what me and my sister will get in my parent's will. I can't explain why, I have no idea.
Mom: When I die, I want to be cremated, I don't believe in all this burying bodies and s***, nobody actually goes to heaven.
Me: Well, if you don't care either way, you could always donate your body to science and end up helping medical students.
Mom: Well... maybe.

(5 minutes later)

Mom: Actually no, I don't want a bunch of students looking at my boobs.

I just didn't know how to reply to that...

After acceptance...

Grandma: Here, drink this beer I got it for you!
Me: Ew it's Milwaukee's Best, grandma!
Grandma: Drink it Doctor! It was on sale!
Me: I'm not a Doctor! Not for 4 more years!
Grandma: Oh, well I'll be dead then so I'm going to call you Doctor now.
Me: No you won't be dead and no I'm not a Doctor. Stop saying you'll be dead!
Grandma: Well I probably will be if I keep buying this cheap beer.
Me: Yeah I guess I can't argue with that.

Another time...

Grandma: I got you some beer!
Me: Grandma you always buy the cheapest, grossest beer.
Grandma: It was on sale! Drink it up!
Me: Grandma, you drink it!
Grandma: You're going to turn me into an alcoholic. Do you want that on your conscious?
Me: You're going to turn me into an alcoholic and I'll drop out of med school and become a bum! Do you want that on YOUR concscious?
Grandma: Well, I'll be dead by then anyways so just drink it.

I wish my mom was able to understand this wonderful journey, and that we could share in my milestones. It's like I can never do anything good enough, sadly, I think she secretly believes I'll never get in any where.
Luckily my boyfriend's parents have assumed her role and always encourage me and ask questions about the process. Thank God for them, cuz my mom has no clue what's going on.

All Asian kids: love your parents, because they truly care :oops:

After acceptance...

Grandma: Here, drink this beer I got it for you!
Me: Ew it's Milwaukee's Best, grandma!
Grandma: Drink it Doctor! It was on sale!
Me: I'm not a Doctor! Not for 4 more years!
Grandma: Oh, well I'll be dead then so I'm going to call you Doctor now.
Me: No you won't be dead and no I'm not a Doctor. Stop saying you'll be dead!
Grandma: Well I probably will be if I keep buying this cheap beer.
Me: Yeah I guess I can't argue with that.

Another time...

Grandma: I got you some beer!
Me: Grandma you always buy the cheapest, grossest beer.
Grandma: It was on sale! Drink it up!
Me: Grandma, you drink it!
Grandma: You're going to turn me into an alcoholic. Do you want that on your conscious?
Me: You're going to turn me into an alcoholic and I'll drop out of med school and become a bum! Do you want that on YOUR concscious?
Grandma: Well, I'll be dead by then anyways so just drink it.

:laugh: I love when old people have that sick/funny sense of humor regarding their own mortality

My mom loves to ask me when I'm taking the "MCAS" (and unfortunatley shes not getting it confused with AMCAS bc she doesn't even know that exists).
She also likes to compare how I'm studying for the MCAT to how her and my dad studied for the CPA exam. Except they are two totally different tests. (The CPA exam was a 3 day long test when my parents took it...thank god the MCAT is not!!!)
My dad has asked about the process about a hundred times but I'm pretty sure all he's gotten out of my explanations so far is that I'm going to be asking for a lot of money next summer for primaries and secondaries....

From these posts, it seems as if my parents (or mom, at least) are in the minority! My mom is great; she understands the entire process for the most part (after I explained it to her in painstaking detail), and she has down-to-earth expectations. My dad, on the other hand, asked me the other day why I was studying so much... (MCAT in August).

From my friends, however, anytime they catch a bug or pull a muscle, they come to me. :p

FriendA: Snuke, you're pre-med, right?
Me: Yeaaaah, what do you want?
FriendA: I have a rash. Do you want to look at it?
Me: Not really, but go ahead.
*friendA pulls off his shirt and points to armpit* It's really itchy, but I think it's athlete's foot. (College bathrooms :rolleyes:)
Me: Mm-hm. Sure, but you should probably go to the clinic. That's the reason for its existence.
FriendA: Oh, I don't know. Maybe.

The next day:

Friend B knocks at my door late at night: Snuuuuuke. Please open the door.
Me: Yes, FriendB, what's wrong?
FriendB: You're pre-med, right?
Me: Sigh. Yes.
FriendB: I feel terrible!
Me: What are your symptoms? (Now I sound official!)
*FriendB lists his symptoms in a very puny voice*
Me: Alright, FriendB, here is some Mucinex. Take 1 every X hours. That will make your cough more productive.
FriendB: But I don't want to cough anymore.
Me: It's good for you. Suck it up. You just want to get all that bad icky junk out of your chest, alright? (Note my caring and compassionate bedside manner)
FriendB: Alright... But I have a really sore throat, too.
Me: I know, you told me. Here is a nasal spray. Use this and it will dry up your nose.
FriendB: But-
Me: It's dripping into your throat and making it sore.
FriendB: Oh. But I can't sleep.
*Give him other various drugs, etc*
FriendB: You're pretty much a doctor, right?
Me: Sigh. Sure, FriendB. If it makes you feel better.

Next day:
Friend C: Snuke, you're pre-med, right?
*Me thinking - for the love of God, people...*
Me: Yes I am, FriendC. What do you want?
FriendC: My leg hurts.
Me: I'm shocked.
FriendC: It hurts when I do this - *demonstrates*
Me: Well, how about you not do that? And go to the clinic to get tylonol if you need it.
FriendC: Oh. Okay.

My mom ... always tells me that when I graduate med school I'll have to give her my entire sheet for prescriptions so she can write herself some without having to see the doctor (not illegally..she just doesn't wanna waste time at the doctor lol). When I refuse, she tells me that I owe her for my birth and raising me for 21 years haha. Also sometimes she calls me a project of a Dr or a quarter Dr cause I haven't been through med school yet and my brother is half doctor cause he's halfway through med school.

This sounds EXACTLY like my mom, with the same older bro thing too. Funny how our mother's can just extort their children with the birth claim...which I get on a daily basis haha

I had a different experience. Both of my parents are MDs but the process was a little different when they went through. My dad worked as a line cook at a restaurant for a few years after college then basically said, "I think I'll be a doctor now." My mom couldn't wrap her mind around taking a Kaplan MCAT course, because when she took it you just sat for it after you finished your sciences classes and hoped you got a good number. I don't think anyone took it more than once back then.

Oh, and my mom talked me out of doing USC's Bacc/MD program when I was an entering freshman. Her words were: "If you don't screw up in college, you'll get into a better med school than 'SC."

Guess what Mom, I screwed up in college lol. Now I'd die to go to USC.

She also likes to flip through my MSAR and openly mock schools that I'm considering.

haha, these are really funny.

So my while I was preparing for my MCAT my mom would constantly ask how my Med Cat studying was going. I never corrected her because it always cracked me up, I know she wasn't misspeaking because she once texted it.

Anyway, I should be getting those med cat scores back in a week so fingers crossed!

haha, these are really funny.

So my while I was preparing for my MCAT my mom would constantly ask how my Med Cat studying was going. I never corrected her because it always cracked me up, I know she wasn't misspeaking because she once texted it.

Anyway, I should be getting those med cat scores back in a week so fingers crossed!

Actually technically you can use that as a nickname for it too. Med is just short for the first word of what the abbreviation stands for.

But my personal favorite is when people call it the M kitten or M kitty.

This thread cracks me up because I have the best father ever who is very supportive and was totally involved in my application process. He reads SDN all the time and will probably read this (hi Dad!).

Anyway, I lived in Africa for over a year and he whole-heartedly supported me all the way. After I got accepted to med school, I told him that I was going back for a month to do a research project. He flipped out. He was really, truly concerned that I'd get myself killed and all that work of applying to med school would be for nothing.

It didn't seem to occur to him that if I got myself killed last year, all that work he put into raising me would have been for nothing :)

This thread cracks me up because I have the best father ever who is very supportive and was totally involved in my application process. He reads SDN all the time and will probably read this (hi Dad!).

Anyway, I lived in Africa for over a year and he whole-heartedly supported me all the way. After I got accepted to med school, I told him that I was going back for a month to do a research project. He flipped out. He was really, truly concerned that I'd get myself killed and all that work of applying to med school would be for nothing.

It didn't seem to occur to him that if I got myself killed last year, all that work he put into raising me would have been for nothing :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So you are going to the same place I assume? That's completely random for him to let you go for a year but not back for a month.

I've met a few parents who've PM'd me about their children's situations in the past. I guess its good they are at least taking initiative to be informed parents and know about SDN and where the resources and tools to info are.

But that's kinda funny that they are suddenly getting scared after you lived there a year.

Time to revive this baby!
So today my dad's friend whos son got into a top school apparently told him that the son would keep making appointments with the dean of admissions until he finally got in. He is convinced that the son got in because of the boy's persistence and getting to know the dean.

So father dear tells me i need to start making appointments with med school deans asap. :eek: I tried to explain that it doesn't work that way and they might ban me for being annoying..but that was going nowhere. So now apparently ifi dont get into a med school its my fault for not pestering the dean.

My parents also like to use those useless online "What are your chances of getting in to X school?" websites. Apparently it showed that i have some chance of getting into Harvard on one of them, so they are trying to get me to waste more money and apply there.

Also its always a blast when your parent's friends' children are aplying and every day you're being compared to them.
I love them though!

If you are from Texas and have to participate in the pre match and match process and have tried explaining it to your parents....I'm sure many of you have had a few *facepalm* moments just like I have.

I have explained it to them 2397493284 times, and they still have me explain it to them every time they call or ask about the process. Its so frustrating!!! Gotta love Texas though ;)