Parents Coming on Tours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Klueril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im going to go on a few tours (just tours not interviews ;)) of some dental schools and was wondering if schools look bad if I bring my parents on a couple. My parents are part of my support and it would be nice to bring them along to show them what im working toward.
parents a detriment?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't but that is just me. I would honestly ask the school. Maybe they don't like giving tours to parents/groups. Never hurts to ask.

A lot of Dental Schools don't give out tours unless you have an interview there. Stony Brook refused for me. I don't think it should be a problem to take your parents because I doubt they really track who has a tour and who doesn't. It's all up to your personal preference. But I would call and ask before you go

Members don't see this ad :)
if you do take your parents just make sure that they don't control the conversation. they should just be along for the ride with maybe a comment or two, but you should be the one in control of asking questions and directing the flow of conversation.

if you do take your parents just make sure that they don't control the conversation. they should just be along for the ride with maybe a comment or two, but you should be the one in control of asking questions and directing the flow of conversation.

I agree with this. I've seen parents along for the ride at a couple of open houses I've been to. Usually, the potential student seemed to be really young (like high school kids that are real go-getters or something). But I've seen both the parent who just smiles and observes and I've seen the parent who won't shut up, asks all the questions, and sort of brings a negative vibe like they're being way too overprotective and trying to bring out the negative in everything they ask.

In short: if your parents are lame, leave them at home.

In short: if your parents are lame, leave them at home.

naw dawg, my parents are both from Italy and are pretty much the bee's knees.

but its a day tour, and I would only bring one parent and they know not to talk. Because I scheduled the tours I think it would be nice to bring that extra person just incase there are silent times between the lone tour-giver and me.

Ties and slacks on tours, yes?

I wouldn't bring my parents. I understand wanting them to go but I think it sends a bad message. For one, you act different around your parents. Even if you think you don't you do. Second, it could make you look less independent. You want to come off as mature and an adult, adults don't bring mommy and daddy everywhere with them.

I saw a couple of people at interviews bring their parents, and I always thought it looked like they needed someone to hold their hands. I know this isn't an interview and it probably isn't the case that you are immature, but why take the risk?

You're just going on a non-formal tour, possibly headed by a dental student. They're probably the ones paying for your dental school anyways. If it was anything formal where you must make an impression, you obviously don't bring your parents to that. Seriously. Use some common sense.

I know in some cultures, there's nothing wrong when your parents tag along and are there just to show support. Most of the time, they just want to tag along to show that they love you. But in America, going with your parents could make you "appear" dependent on them. So, I wouldn't bring them.

Depends on the school. Some places understand it's a big life commitment and support the idea of bringing your parents or wife/husband on the tour. Some places don't allow anyone to come with you at all. Call up the school and ask their opinion.

If you're still in doubt, it's safer just to not bring the parents.

Who cares, bring them dont bring them it doesnt matter. Its just a tour, you look at the school, ask maybe ask a few questions and leave. The end.

On a tour...sure...interview? Avoid bringing parents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk