Part Time Army Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a job offer to work either full time (with a real nice sign on or loan repayment) or part time working 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks in the summer with benefits.

I would be leaning towards part time. I am in the process of signing with a PP group where I currently am located. The email I received was from a sergeant in the Midwest.

Thoughts? Anyone with experience in being a part time army doc?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you be a contractor or part of the Guard?

Because if you're a part of the Guard, they don't just part-time own your soul ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Would you be a contractor or part of the Guard?

Because if you're a part of the Guard, they don't just part-time own your soul ;)

He did not clarify.
Is it possible to be a contractor to the US Army as a physician?
I would need to contact him back - he provided his cell, office, and email address to get back in touch with him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a little bit down is a thread with the title deciding between national guard or army reserves... That's where you should look. This recruiter in my opinion is obviously talking about one of those.

Just a little bit down is a thread with the title deciding between national guard or army reserves... That's where you should look. This recruiter in my opinion is obviously talking about one of those.

Gotcha. I had no idea, so will take a look.
If anyone else has experience in knowing if one could be a contractor, please let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: Read the thread. Do those positions (Guard or Reserves) also apply to those who have completed residency? What is usually the difference in those who are civilian going into part time military?

My friend, the recruiter doesn't want a part time physician. He wants you to join the guard/reserves. You are obligated then to at least some part time work, with the potential of being pulled out of your normal practice to backfill for months on end - or to deploy.
Don't think of this as a light switch deal, where you turn it on when they need you and turn it off when you're done. This is a car battery hooked to your clankers that they will intermittently fire up for variable periods of time. You don't get to take it off until the contract is up, Faust.

Reactions: 2 users
My friend, the recruiter doesn't want a part time physician. He wants you to join the guard/reserves. You are obligated then to at least some part time work, with the potential of being pulled out of your normal practice to backfill for months on end - or to deploy.
Don't think of this as a light switch deal, where you turn it on when they need you and turn it off when you're done. This is a car battery hooked to your clankers that they will intermittently fire up for variable periods of time. You don't get to take it off until the contract is up, Faust.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it!

I received a job offer to work either full time (with a real nice sign on or loan repayment) or part time working 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks in the summer with benefits.

I would be leaning towards part time. I am in the process of signing with a PP group where I currently am located. The email I received was from a sergeant in the Midwest.

Thoughts? Anyone with experience in being a part time army doc?

Thanks.

You can be a civilian contractor on a military base. At one of my duty stations, there was a contractor who worked with me. He worked part-time, alternating between two days and three days a week. The email you got from the Sergeant is either for national guard or reserves. Yes you'll have needed to complete residency. Though some can join during residency (with the drill obligations deferred until you graduate). You are technically part time but can be pulled on orders for up to 90 days to either work stateside at a military facility or deploy in any given year.

Some of the contractor job are listed on usa.gov, however, most of the sweet gigs are found through word of mouth. Also the least desirable locations may be willing to give up a lot of concessions.

Reactions: 1 user
You can be a civilian contractor on a military base. At one of my duty stations, there was a contractor who worked with me. He worked part-time, alternating between two days and three days a week. The email you got from the Sergeant is either for national guard or reserves. Yes you'll have needed to complete residency. Though some can join during residency (with the drill obligations deferred until you graduate). You are technically part time but can be pulled on orders for up to 90 days to either work stateside at a military facility or deploy in any given year.

Some of the contractor job are listed on usa.gov, however, most of the sweet gigs are found through word of mouth. Also the least desirable locations may be willing to give up a lot of concessions.

Let me know what you hear and for which specialties!