Part time for a semester to study for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlefry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a quick survey.

In 2010 after 1 semester I switched majors from photography to biology and have completed 4 full years of undergraduate education.

For my B.S. in Biology, I only need to complete my thesis this fall, and a microbiology class that is only offered in the Spring of 2015. I have a 3.61 GPA, so a significant amount of weight for gaining admission to in-state (NY) medical schools rests on the MCAT. Looking at NY Medical College and Stonybrook as realistic goals.

This summer, I took an MCAT prep course with Kaplan (May-July), with a diagnostic score of 24. By practice test 3, I reached a 27. However, upon taking an AAMC practice test last week (july), I scored a ghastly 22. I am not done with content review, and am weakest in PS because I essentially never learned any physics. This has me extremely concerned that I will not be able to reach my realistically needed goal score of 33+ by the start of my now full-time schedule in September.

Due to the fact that the test is changing after January of 2015, and my need /desire for a stellar score, if I were to take my thesis credits and perhaps an immunology course (7 creds total) to go part time this fall to leave room to continue to bring up my score, would part time look bad on my application?

There is a monetary factor, too, as I only have 1 semester left of financial aid.

Any advice is appreciated, and thank you in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seems like you're almost done anyways, I don't think it will be looked down upon

I think you'll be fine to do that for a semester. From what I've heard on here, as long as you don't make a habit of taking lighter courseloads, ADCOMs don't really look down on it.

And even if they do, I still think you're better off doing a part-time semester and doing well on the MCAT than doing a full-time semester and risking getting a lower score. How bad a part-time semester looks would likely be minimal but a low MCAT can sink your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think it will be looked down upon either

It will be OK. Good luck!

In 2010 after 1 semester I switched majors from photography to biology and have completed 4 full years of undergraduate education.

For my B.S. in Biology, I only need to complete my thesis this fall, and a microbiology class that is only offered in the Spring of 2015. I have a 3.61 GPA, so a significant amount of weight for gaining admission to in-state (NY) medical schools rests on the MCAT. Looking at NY Medical College and Stonybrook as realistic goals.

This summer, I took an MCAT prep course with Kaplan (May-July), with a diagnostic score of 24. By practice test 3, I reached a 27. However, upon taking an AAMC practice test last week (july), I scored a ghastly 22. I am not done with content review, and am weakest in PS because I essentially never learned any physics. This has me extremely concerned that I will not be able to reach my realistically needed goal score of 33+ by the start of my now full-time schedule in September.

Due to the fact that the test is changing after January of 2015, and my need /desire for a stellar score, if I were to take my thesis credits and perhaps an immunology course (7 creds total) to go part time this fall to leave room to continue to bring up my score, would part time look bad on my application?

There is a monetary factor, too, as I only have 1 semester left of financial aid.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey I was in a similar situation with you too. I did my best to make room. Last quarter I decided to withdraw from my immunology course to focus on two things 1) MCAT testing and 2) research (had to finish my honors thesis, I stupidly agreed to present my work at a research conference two days after my MCAT). It helped a lot.

When you get that 33 MCAT and an interviewer asks "why'd you have a part time course load here" you explain just this :) Good luck OP!

Glad I found this. I am in the same situation as you. I was thinking of taking off the semester but I want to use it to bring up my GPA, so I decided to go with part time school and MCAT. Good luck!