Part-time opportunities as a Physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snailbody5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm deciding between becoming a CRNA and going to med school, both would roughly take the same amount of time in years for me, but obviously the work-load of the former would be easier. The SOLE reason I was looking into becoming a nurse anesthetist was the part-time opportunities working as a nurse so I can focus on my other interest which may or may not make me money. I was wondering how difficult it would be to get a hospital part-time job as a physician depending on your specialty. I don't have a family so I don't exactly care WHERE I work so that broadens the places I can apply.

Thanks beforehand!

Members don't see this ad.

You want to go through the pre-med hoops, get through 4 years of medical school, go ~250k into debt and then slave through your residency...

so you can work part time?

well then

Reactions: 7 users
That is a very Streampaw-like question to ask.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You want to go through the pre-med hoops, get through 4 years of medical school, go ~250k into debt and then slave through your residency...

so you can work part time?

well then
My family is paying my way through med school, but yeah even then financially it seems more sound to become a CRNA doesn't it? I see all this as a way to attain financial freedom to do anything I'd like with a great fallback.

My family is paying my way through med school, but yeah even then financially it seems more sound to become a CRNA doesn't it?

yea??

I don't even care about the money.. why invest 8+ years into something you'll do part-time?

My family is paying my way through med school, but yeah even then financially it seems more sound to become a CRNA doesn't it? I see all this as a way to attain financial freedom to do anything I'd like with a great fallback.
If your family is willing to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical school, would they be willing to fund some way to better prepare you for this other thing(s) you are interested in spending so much time on?

@TheBossDoctor You're right, but I thought SP had retired from the premed schtick.

If your family is willing to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical school, would they be willing to fund some way to better prepare you for this other thing(s) you are interested in spending so much time on?

@TheBossDoctor You're right, but I thought SP had retired from the premed schtick.
I have to make money somehow, I was thinking to go into business and would probably start something up when working part time, but that's a far less secure line of work in job security and income. Think about it, how many people would kill to make 75-100k working PART TIME, seems like its definitely worth the work.

EDIT: Lol, I'm derailing my own thread, any know specialties with good part-time opportunities ( :

I have to make money somehow, I was thinking to go into business and would probably start something up when working part time, but that's a far less secure line of work in job security and income. Think about it, how many people would kill to make 75-100k working PART TIME, seems like its definitely worth the work.
I'm calling streampaw. Abandoning thread.

Reactions: 1 users

Good luck making 75-100k working PART TIME right out of medical school.

Maybe 20 years down the road.. absurd right out of school.

Good luck making 75-100k working PART TIME right out of medical school.

Maybe 20 years down the road.. absurd right out of school.
that's what I was wondering, starting it would be around 50k depending on the specialty but I've never even HEARD of part-time doctors right out of med school is it even possible? If not, how many years of work experience is expected before such opportunities open up?

that's what I was wondering, starting it would be around 50k depending on the specialty but I've never even HEARD of part-time doctors right out of med school is it even possible? If not, how many years of work experience is expected before such opportunities open up?

No hospital/practice is hiring a part-time doctor. It's only feasible YEARS down the road if/when you are a partner in your own practice.

Stupid question quite honestly. That's why you're getting the response you're getting. Do medicine because you want to do medicine.. not because you think its an opportunity to make quick money. Its anything but that. Way too many hoops to jump through to make it something to do just because the money MAY be good.

What is this other interest that may or may not make money?

Members don't see this ad :)

EDIT: Lol, I'm derailing my own thread, any know specialties with good part-time opportunities ( :

I heard dermatology is a good part-time specialty. Then you can have a lot of free time to take care of your 4 kids and lawyer husband.

No hospital/practice is hiring a part-time doctor. It's only feasible YEARS down the road if/when you are a partner in your own practice.

Stupid question quite honestly. That's why you're getting the response you're getting. Do medicine because you want to do medicine.. not because you think its an opportunity to make quick money. Its anything but that. Way too many hoops to jump through to make it something to do just because the money MAY be good.
Obviously if you have your own practice you can work any amount of hours you'd like but to build up a clientele you have to work a lot when just open up. I've DEFINATELY heard of people who work part-time in a hospital though. In ER, Anesthesiology, as internists, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
yea??

I don't even care about the money.. why invest 8+ years into something you'll do part-time?

Because there are more things to life than work?

For what it's worth, the average psychiatrist works less than 40 hrs/week based on Medscape data.

It all depends on where you are willing to work. If you want to or are fine with central/mid United States, there are part time opportunities for hospital employed physicians. Typically, "part time" means full time for fewer days. So if you work 80% then you only work 4 days a week but go in for the full time during those 4 days. If you work 60% then you work 3 full days. That's the only part time medicine I have heard of.

Edit: I remembered one more. A friend's parent is a radiologist who is able to work part time from home :)

Last edited:
Because there are more things to life than work?

For what it's worth, the average psychiatrist works less than 40 hrs/week based on Medscape data.

and there are more jobs in life than being a physician?

If you don't really want to do medicine and are just looking for a quick buck.. that's fine.. but medicine is probably not for you. It's not worth the investment.

and there are more jobs in life than being a physician?

If you don't really want to do medicine and are just looking for a quick buck.. that's fine.. but medicine is probably not for you. It's not worth the investment.

Lol, yeah - I enjoy your preaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, yeah - I enjoy your preaching.

Preaching? You have quite a definition for preaching if that qualifies.

I don't care why people pick careers. That's completely up to them. Going into medicine for the money? go for it. If you're just looking for a career where you can work part-time so you can focus on other parts of your life, I don't think medicine is for you. There are so many other jobs out there that require less $$$ and time investment that will allow you a better setup for that life plan.

It all depends on where you are willing to work. If you want to or are fine with central/mid United States, there are part time opportunities for hospital employed physicians. Typically, "part time" means full time for fewer days. So if you work 80% then you only work 4 days a week but go in for the full time during those 4 days. If you work 60% then you work 3 full days. That's the only part time medicine I have heard of.

Edit: I remembered one more. A friend's parent is a radiologist who is able to work part time from home :)

I've also heard of ER docs who have weird shift rotations like two weeks 24/7 on, two weeks off.

It doesn't really solve the issue of having to work full-time through medical school and residency just to potentially get to that point.

Preaching? You have quite a definition for preaching if that qualifies.

I don't care why people pick careers. That's completely up to them. Going into medicine for the money? go for it. If you're just looking for a career where you can work part-time so you can focus on other parts of your life, I don't think medicine is for you. There are so many other jobs out there that require less $$$ and time investment that will allow you a better setup for that life plan.

Clearly you do care as you are quick to criticize others looking into this in addition to spreading misinformation (i.e., it requires "years" in the field before having the opportunity to do part-time work - which is simply wrong as a generalization). Obviously some fields (surgery is the primary example) are less amenable to this than others, but in many fields - particularly those which operate under a shift scheme - it is entirely possible.

It is also possible to earn a six figure income while working part-time (defined as less than 40 hours/week) depending on the field. For many people, having the ability to work 30 hours a week while still earning in the top percentiles of income is more than worth it - even if it doesn't make sense to you.

Reactions: 4 users
I know 10+ part-time anesthesiologists. They are all women and work for the same group, which appreciates having physicians available for call one overnight and a couple shifts a week, but who don't want to be partners. The part-timers appreciate being able to work and be home with their children. A few of them started part-time out of residency. A couple that I know well have told me they are paid very well for the hours they work ($150K+ per year for about 24 hours per week plus call one night).

The other is a hospitalist. She has no children but she has a lot of other outside interests. After about five years of full-time work she went to eight 12-hour shifts every four weeks (4 shifts including the weekend followed by 10 days off). She works in a large city for an academic hospital and makes around $150K a year as well. She does pick up occasional extra shifts and gets full benefits.

Clearly you do care as you are quick to criticize others looking into this in addition to spreading misinformation (i.e., it requires "years" in the field before having the opportunity to do part-time work - which is simply wrong as a generalization). Obviously some fields (surgery is the primary example) are less amenable to this than others, but in many fields - particularly those which operate under a shift scheme - it is entirely possible.

It is also possible to earn a six figure income while working part-time (defined as less than 40 hours/week) depending on the field. For many people, having the ability to work 30 hours a week while still earning in the top percentiles of income is more than worth it - even if it doesn't make sense to you.

I'm not criticizing anyone (let alone "others", great generalization there). Like I said, it's up to you why you choose a career. If you ask a question about it, I'm almost certain I'm allowed to express my opinion as to whether I think its worth it. If you want a job that's going to make you a good amount of money so you can focus on other parts of your life, there are certainly options out there that don't require the years of investment. Does that mean you shouldn't go into medicine? No. That means you should think about your other choices and make an educated decision.

Not sure what misinformation I spread but that's the beauty of a message-board. There are others to point out mistakes. Does the shift scheme really qualify as part-time (shockingly, I mentioned that above) considering you're working full-time for a significant portion of that? and it does seem from others' posts that those opportunities aren't readily available straight out of residency.

Those people working 30 hours a week while earning in the top percentiles of income.. was that right out of residency? It's not that it doesn't make sense to me.. it's just that it certainly sounds like it requires a lot more of a time investment than the OP thinks. Considering he's asking exactly about that, I think actually talking about that instead of preaching to me would be more helpful to the OP.

There are part time opportunities but you'll have to put up with the time demands of med school and 3+ years of residency where you'll work an average of 50-60 hours a week in even the cushiest of specialties, or 70-80 if it's not cushy.

I'm not criticizing anyone (let alone "others", great generalization there). Like I said, it's up to you why you choose a career. If you ask a question about it, I'm almost certain I'm allowed to express my opinion as to whether I think its worth it. If you want a job that's going to make you a good amount of money so you can focus on other parts of your life, there are certainly options out there that don't require the years of investment. Does that mean you shouldn't go into medicine? No. That means you should think about your other choices and make an educated decision.

Not sure what misinformation I spread but that's the beauty of a message-board. There are others to point out mistakes. Does the shift scheme really qualify as part-time (shockingly, I mentioned that above) considering you're working full-time for a significant portion of that? and it does seem from others' posts that those opportunities aren't readily available straight out of residency.

Those people working 30 hours a week while earning in the top percentiles of income.. was that right out of residency? It's not that it doesn't make sense to me.. it's just that it certainly sounds like it requires a lot more of a time investment than the OP thinks. Considering he's asking exactly about that, I think actually talking about that instead of preaching to me would be more helpful to the OP.

But very few fields effectively guarantee a six figure income at the end of the training path - even while working part-time. Name some fields that have similar circumstances. In most, sure, you can potentially earn as much or more in less time, but almost certainly not while working part-time. Most will similarly require long periods of "pay in" before allowing you to earn significant income (finance comes to mind here). Business is a huge crapshoot that will absolutely require full-time employment. Law similarly - at least for the first few years as an associate. In most other fields a six figure income is not expected but, instead, at the further end of the income earning spectrum. In medicine, it is essentially guaranteed. That's the key difference.

You are certainly entitled to post whatever you want, but when you post things about which you know very little or nothing it helps no one.

Reactions: 3 users
But very few fields effectively guarantee a six figure income at the end of the training path - even while working part-time. Name some fields that have similar circumstances. In most, sure, you can potentially earn as much or more in less time, but almost certainly not while working part-time. Most will similarly require long periods of "pay in" before allowing you to earn significant income (finance comes to mind here). Business is a huge crapshoot that will absolutely require full-time employment. Law similarly - at least for the first few years as an associate. In most other fields a six figure income is not expected but, instead, at the further end of the income earning spectrum. In medicine, it is essentially guaranteed. That's the key difference.

You are certainly entitled to post whatever you want, but when you post things about which you know very little or nothing it helps no one.

The question is, how many years will you have to invest into attaining that six figure income?

If your goal in life isn't to focus on work and to spend time on other passions, how much of a chunk of your life are you willing to entirely give up (i.e. working full-time) just to get to that end goal? All I was trying to do was point out to the OP the hurdles he would have to jump through so he can make an educated decision as to whether its worth it for him. Maybe it's not necessary to make six figures and the OP will be happier using a significantly less portion of the next 8+ years getting into a field with a lower salary/higher risk.

It's a message-board. If someone posts something that you know/think is wrong, next time correct them for everyone's sake instead of just declaring it preaching. I certainly don't consider myself an expert on all things medicine.. yet because other people can also post here, that provides the opportunity for any perceived wrongs of mine to be corrected without doing much damage. I highly doubt the OP changed his life plans because of one post seven hours ago that I'm still unsure was wrong considering the shift-scheme doesn't really qualify as part-time IMO. If I post something that's incorrect, I appreciate it being pointed out.

I volunteer at a health department and the physician there works two part time jobs. Two half day shifts during the week at the health department and another part time weekend gig at a hospice. He said he wants the free time to spend with his kids. There are part time jobs to be had you just have to look in the right places.

It's a message-board. If someone posts something that you know/think is wrong, next time correct them for everyone's sake instead of just declaring it preaching. I certainly don't consider myself an expert on all things medicine.. yet because other people can also post here, that provides the opportunity for any perceived wrongs of mine to be corrected without doing much damage. I highly doubt the OP changed his life plans because of one post seven hours ago that I'm still unsure was wrong considering the shift-scheme doesn't really qualify as part-time IMO. If I post something that's incorrect, I appreciate it being pointed out.

"Rather than provide helpful information that is based on first-hand knowledge, I'd prefer to blindly speculate because it's not like anyone is going to follow what I say, amirite?"

Duly noted.

How can you be deciding between becoming a CRNA and going to med school? To become a CRNA you must first be an RN, to go to med school you must first complete all the prerequisite coursework. Moreover, CRNA programs admit RNs only with years of experience.

How can you be deciding between becoming a CRNA and going to med school? To become a CRNA you must first be an RN, to go to med school you must first complete all the prerequisite coursework. Moreover, CRNA programs admit RNs only with years of experience.
Already graduated, deciding between DO school and an accelerated nursing program and then CRNA school. Both paths would take roughly the same amount of time for me, depending on how long it takes me get an ICU position after becoming an RN.
There are so many other jobs out there that require less $$$ and time investment that will allow you a better setup for that life plan.
Like? Genuinely curious.

Nick is right, other guy is wrong. Lots of EM and gas people work part time, especially women. Plenty if ipportunitues to do this in primary care and many other specialties. Check out cabin builder s posts in the FM forum. She does only locus work and seems to take several months of vacation most years.

My wife and I both plan to go PT as soon as possible. Having that flexibility and a good income is one of the many positives of being a physician.

I have people from my lab flocking to the FDA, physicians work 40 hours a week as consults make >$150k; plus GS status if I'm not mistaken.

Not for me, but a good option for the clinically less inclined.

First, "part time" in a professional field can be more than the 40 hours a week some people outside of medicine consider "full time".
Second, it's tough to find employers looking for part timers, so you may need to pick specific fields or work for yourself. Working for yourself means a lot of the headaches of running your own business, so it won't be short hours at the beginning for sure.
Third, radiology is actually one of the longer residency/fellowship paths (5 years residency plus a 1 year fellowship) and you won't be part time during your training regardless of the specialty you pick so I'm not sure that's a reasonable suggestion. Nor is derm -- even though the hours of derm attendings can be Cush, you'll have to pretty much kill yourself to get there, so its kind of a catch 22. Psych or peds probably is best suited for these types of "I don't want crazy hours types". And even in those fields the lighter hours are hard to find.
Short answer, if you don't want to work hard at least for the early chunk of your career, you probably don't want medicine. And again, what we call part time still probably seems like a Ton to premeds.

Hey guys I'm deciding between becoming a CRNA and going to med school, both would roughly take the same amount of time in years for me, but obviously the work-load of the former would be easier. The SOLE reason I was looking into becoming a nurse anesthetist was the part-time opportunities working as a nurse so I can focus on my other interest which may or may not make me money. I was wondering how difficult it would be to get a hospital part-time job as a physician depending on your specialty. I don't have a family so I don't exactly care WHERE I work so that broadens the places I can apply.

Thanks beforehand!

In the ED where I used to scribe we had a couple of doctors who only worked part time and still reeled in the big bucks. It's definitely a doable thing to do.

In the ED where I used to scribe we had a couple of doctors who only worked part time and still reeled in the big bucks. It's definitely a doable thing to do.

You are likely referring to shift work -- not really part time, per se. They probably work 4-5 shifts totaling 35-40 hours a week, mostly graveyard, with little downtime, and always on their feet. Not every bodies cup of tea, especially once you hit mid 30's or older -- burnout is high. And EM is becoming a bit more competitive given the net hours. But yeah, I suppose it's possible.

Last edited:
It's funny, this is the same thread that comes up every year, someone wants a six digit salary but part time hours. And a bunch of premeds always chime in that it's totally doable and "I know a guy". The truth is that doctors work hard. We work hard to become doctors. We work hard once we are doctors. Regardless of what we do, we should really be doing more reading during our "spare time" to be better doctors. This isn't a good job for dabbling. You are either " all in" or it's really not a great career choice. Not saying you can't be one of these "I know a guy" outliers. Just saying you probably won't.

The people I know that I mentioned in a previous post are all hard workers. I'd just like to point that out. They have adjusted their lives so that they only spend definitive chunks of time "at work," but when they are working, they are working hard and the days are long. Basically these women have compartmentalized their work lives into a limited number of days per week so when they are not at work, they have huge chunks of time to dedicate to whatever else is on their plate. They avoided jobs that require a lot of call or work to do from home, after work. The hospitalist works an exhausting 12-hr shift several days in a row. The anesthesiologists on working days will come in at 6 am and might not go home until 10 pm while the last patient recovers. But on their days off, they are OFF. And because they are part-time, they only work two days out of seven, perhaps.

But like several others have mentioned, they worked 80 hr weeks in residency for several years and put in their time in med school. For various reasons, raising children among them, working a limited number of days per week and taking less pay became attractive to them at some point.

I certainly don't understand that HOLY MOTHER TERESA attitude in this thread... If one does not have any loan to pay back and wants to work part time as a physician, I don't see anything wrong with that... Some people make it sound here that once you sign up to become a physician, you should automatically become a martyr to the profession... I can see why AMA has become powerless.

Last edited:
I certainly don't understand that HOLY MOTHER TERESA attitude in this thread... If one does not have any loan to pay back and wants to work part time as a physician, I don't see any wrong with that... Some people make it sound here that once you sign up to become a physician, you should automatically become a martyr to the profession... I can see why AMA has become powerless.

Do you think a CRNA has enough cash stashed away to go through med school with no loans?

@jonnythan... Can't answer a question like that; however, there are few people in my class that their families/parents are footing the bill for them.

@jonnythan... Can't answer a question like that; however, there are few people in my class that their families/parents are footing the bill for them.

Yeah, I couldn't answer that question either. Which is why it's so curious you brought up being loan-free in this thread, because no one even mentioned that OP would be loan-free for this process.

Yeah, I couldn't answer that question either. Which is why it's so curious you brought up being loan-free in this thread, because no one even mentioned that OP would be loan-free for this process.

OP said that....

You are likely referring to shift work -- not really part time, per se. They probably work 4-5 shifts totaling 35-40 hours a week, mostly graveyard, with little downtime, and always on their feet. Not every bodies cup of tea, especially once you hit mid 30's or older -- burnout is high. And EM is becoming a bit more competitive given the net hours. But yeah, I suppose it's possible.

I consider myself to be a pretty healthy and physically fit guy. Especially since I played college baseball not too long ago and have always stayed in decent shape after that. With that said, being a 25 year old nurse working 3 night shifts in a row is rough. The hours are good and mine are easy to anticipate but once I'm off it still takes me 2-3 days to recover back to normal hours. I've seen a lot of different fields of medicine but I feel like Emergency Medicine is the most like nursing. On your feet a lot doing something demanding and dealing with difficult patients. I always thought EM would be the perfect fit for me because of lifestyle but I agree the burn out is high. I can't imagine being 30+ years old doing shift work with varying hours in a high intensity job like that. As much as I enjoy it I can't even imagine doing bedside nursing for that long.

I certainly don't understand that HOLY MOTHER TERESA attitude in this thread... If one does not have any loan to pay back and wants to work part time as a physician, I don't see anything wrong with that... Some people make it sound here that once you sign up to become a physician, you should automatically become a martyr to the profession... I can see why AMA has become powerless.

Simple, really. Doctoring isn't something you can do once in a while and be any good at. You want your surgeon to do dozens of cases like yours each week. Similarly, you want your internist to have managed problems like yours hundreds of times, and recently. And you want your doctor to keep up with the reading and go to courses to keep up their skills, and weigh in with his peers at all the M&M conferences, so he doesn't make those same mistakes. The guy who does a few shifts now and then probably won't get fired in this profession, but he's proabably not the guy you want to send your parent/child to. So that's kind of what we are talking about when someone says they want to work a very light schedule. It's not about mother theresa going above and beyond, or being a martyr, it's about maintaining a certain realistic Level of competency you'd want your own doctor to have. This job is a lot harder to be competent at than you'd think from your med student vantage point. So it's not unreasonable to say those that try and dabble are doing a huge disservice to their patients and probably kidding themselves that they are actually providing the same kind of care that the guy who does it full time does. Are there specialties where you can still be fine doing less? perhaps, but I wouldn't take the advice of premeds or med students on this. The fact that this thread is in preallo means lot of the responses will be pretty suspect. What is the breaking point between full time and incompetent? Hard to say really, but I sure don't get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I see any thread of someone looking for a part time six digit gig. This is a hard job. Not because we are martyrs or saints, but because the demands and minimum expectations of care are pretty significant and not to be underestimated just because you want a chill lifestyle.

Last edited: