Part Time Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have finished all the prereqs in my undergrad for my major as a junior. I can't take the senior classes since they are full or not offered next semester. So I was wondering if it is ok for me to only take 3 classes next semester? I'll be at 11 credit hours and thus a part time student. I need to study for the MCAT. On top of that, I am an officer in a club, med scribe, and student researcher, so I am busy with my activities. I hope that being a part time student won't hurt anything. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools won't care.
Check with financial aid to see if you are still eligible as only a part time student.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools won't care.
Check with financial aid to see if you are still eligible as only a part time student.

Yes ^^

Not only might you lose FA, but if you take longer than 4 years, you may not get aid for any extra time.

Can't you keep checking to see if a class section opens? Are you attending school in the US?

Yep yep US school. Im already ahead due to AP credit, so that's why I'm going part time. Thanks for the advice! Just hope nothing affects this.

If FA becomes an issue, pick a fun and easy elective. Look at the course listings, sometimes you can find 1 hour classes and it can be a chance to explore an interest.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you aren't Canadian! Then 5 courses/term is needed at a lot of them

Im already ahead due to AP credit, so that's why I'm going part time.

That's not really an excuse to go part-time. I'd bet that many premeds are "ahead" with AP credits. As suggested above, find some other class to add...maybe something just for interest. And, keep checking to see if anyone drops a class that you need to take.

Another option is to visit the dept for your major and see if you can get an over-ride and register into a class that's full. Or, sometimes a school will give you a waiver (in writing) that allows you to substitute another class for a req'd class that is full.