Part-time work as an EP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBrown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year med student, and I'm applying into EM.

Much clout is given to EP's having the ability to "choose their hours" to a great extent.

So, how easy is it to work less than full time?

If a full-time EP makes $180000, can I easily work part-time and make $100000?

Reason I ask is that I have many other interests and would like to have time to pursue them (business, construction, tech, etc.).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DocBrown said:
I'm a 4th year med student, and I'm applying into EM.

Much clout is given to EP's having the ability to "choose their hours" to a great extent.

So, how easy is it to work less than full time?

If a full-time EP makes $180000, can I easily work part-time and make $100000?

Reason I ask is that I have many other interests and would like to have time to pursue them (business, construction, tech, etc.).

Thanks!

This has been addressed before but I can summarize. I work 4-6 shifts per month. My wife does 9 per month. Several friends do 10 (although where they are at that actually counts as "full time"). Another friend did 6 months on 6 months off for several years. Obviously these sort of positions are less common and you may have to be more flexible about where you work or what shifts you get but it is do able. You may also pay a price in terms of less benefits or missing out on profit sharing or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talking to an attending EM guy last night on my shift. Asked him about part time work and he said it will be a thing of the past soon.

I inquired further and he said that a group will NOT cover your medmalpractice unless you work full-time and make money. Otherwise you have to pay your own if you work less than full-time.

He then went on to say that if you work part-time and then pay your own medmal then you would essentially be working for free because the price of policies is just getting too high.

Is there any truth to this? Because someday I could sure see myself working part-time.

later

12R34Y said:
Talking to an attending EM guy last night on my shift. Asked him about part time work and he said it will be a thing of the past soon.

I inquired further and he said that a group will NOT cover your medmalpractice unless you work full-time and make money. Otherwise you have to pay your own if you work less than full-time.

He then went on to say that if you work part-time and then pay your own medmal then you would essentially be working for free because the price of policies is just getting too high.

Is there any truth to this? Because someday I could sure see myself working part-time.

later
One of our attendings told me that the university requires you to work at least 8 shifts per month in order for them to break even on malpractice insurance. Apparently the insurers don't differentiate between working 10 hours/month or 160 hours/month. That sucks for those wanting to do part-time work.

yeah I'm always wary when people in medicine say things will soon radically change. how about ophthalmologists becoming obsolete when optometrists take over? didn't happen. or how about psychiatrists becoming obsolete when psychologists take over? nope.

docB said:
My group is part of EmCare so we are self insured. I don't anticipate anything making it so our docs can't sork part time.

Hey DocB,

Sent ya a pm