Partner treatment std scripts with no name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npage148

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a tiff with our local Planned parenthood. They are now giving out scripts for azith for std with no patient info on it, only the wording expectant partner. The I call to verify they tell me this is completely legal and that I'm wasting everyone's time and just to write in the patients name. I don't see how this could be legal. They also try to put 2 treatments under one of the partners name to cut down on the cost.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They also try to put 2 treatments under one of the partners name to cut down on the cost.

When I worked in retail, I saw attempts to do lice treatments that way too.

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3849/

Ok so it looks legal but how am I suppose to fill a script with just EPT on it especially when the person presenting the script won't tell me who it's for. They die from a ADR and I'm screwed.

You're within your rights to refuse to fill it until you have all the information needed...such as other medications, etc. I'd put it just that way. You can't do your job correctly unless you know their medication history information. Really, we don't need names...but drug info is important. I'd make sure I got it before I filled the script. You really shouldn't care what the asses at PP think. Also, if you bill it to the insurance, it IS illegal to put two peoples' script under one person's insurance. For you, not them. Of course THEY don't care. If they are willing to pay cash, dispense as written. If they want to bill it to an insurance, its fraud...don't do it.

Planned parenthood people piss me off in general to be honest. They are always up in arms with this "its none of your business what or who this is for" nonsense like I'm not worthy of practicing my science because they say so. If I was ever refused a single scrap of info I requested, I would refuse to fill it on principle. I'm a healthcare professional. I need info to do my job correctly and if I'm refused info, I refuse the script.

---

Last edited:
http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3849/

Ok so it looks legal but how am I suppose to fill a script with just EPT on it especially when the person presenting the script won't tell me who it's for. They die from a ADR and I'm screwed.

No you aren't. Read your link.

NY State said:
What is my liability?

Under Public Health Law, EPT may be used by health care providers authorized under Title 8 of NYS Education Law to diagnose and prescribe drugs for Chlamydia. Such providers who reasonably and in good faith render EPT are not subject to civil or criminal liability. The use of EPT in such manner is not deemed unprofessional conduct.
How do I provide EPT?
If the sexual partner's name, address and/or date of birth are not available, the written designation of "EPT" shall be sufficient for pharmacists to fill the prescription.

Honestly, I've just filled the prescription. The risk of adverse outcome from the Rx is so much lower than an untreated disease.

However, I've never had anyone pick up the prescription because I can't bill insurance and they refuse to pay.

Honestly, I've just filled the prescription. The risk of adverse outcome from the Rx is so much lower than an untreated disease.

However, I've never had anyone pick up the prescription because I can't bill insurance and they refuse to pay.

Learned that they usually pay in cash. And the patients name does not have to be on the script. It could say partner 1, partner 2, or partner 3. Yes there are times where the patient has multiple sex partners and you fill the script for the three other partners....

So how do you enter the rx into your system? Do you have a patient profile set up that says Name: EPT, DOB:7/7/77, Address: 123 anywhere st?

Under pharmacy law we have to keep complete patient records. How would that apply here? Not sure the record-keeping requirement has anything to do with insurance necessarily, either...applies to cash too...

Ask for the name/info from the patient. Or create a dummy profile.

I couldn't believe the thread up to this point.

I would refuse to fill it. If Planned Parenthood raised a stink about it I would say their practice of not putting names on prescriptions is potentially harmful to patient health and will result in inferior pharmaceutical care. We are bound by HIPAA to keep their private info safe anyway, if they are being treated for an STD it would still be illegal for anyone in the pharmacy to disclose that info with anyone else.

Although I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to write the script in someone else's name and have it intended for someone for whom it is not prescribed.

Why is everyone in this thread:
1: ignoring the fact that this practice is legal, and a link to info about it on a government website was posted.
2: ignoring the fact that the person who could "just give [the pharmacist or prescriber]" the partner's name/info has judgement so bad that THEY GOT AN STD? You really want their partner's health resting on their ability to decide to inform people? Just be glad they MIGHT give them medication once you dispense it.

It's all well and fine that and fine the state says you are free from liability but it still doesn't prevent someone from trying for ruin your life cause they got hurt from and ADR.

If'd we are at the point that they want me to sell it to an anonymous patient will zero medical information (including allergies) then why not just sell it OTC?

I like PP and all but I hate overzealous self-righteous and trying to slip 2 patient treatments under 1 person pisses me off the most esp when you tell me you do it all the time

Mind if I play devil's advocate?

So if PP put a name on the script would you still refuse to dispense until you had a complete medical history about the patient including all drugs and allergies? I call BS - we dispense called in prescriptions frequently for new patients with basically no info. The only thing different in this case is you don't have a name. What's in a name anyway?

Federal law doesn't require a name to be on a prescription anyway.

The only thing I would find difficult logistically is how to enter it in the system. I guess make a profile for "<female pt name, partner> and of course it would be cash only. Call me naive but I just do not buy that you will have liability from following both the letter and spirit of the law. What ADR will be prevented by knowing the patient's name anyway?

Last edited:
It should be pretty straight forward. If you receive a script that is for "Expectant Partner" tell the individual presenting the prescription that you have to have a name and allergy history for the individual receiving the medication. The young lady presenting the script (it's usually women that are seen at Planned Parenthood clinics) can tell you the script is for John Holmes, Tony the Tiger, or any name she chooses. If she doesn't know about Mr. Wonderful's allergy history then write on the script NKDA. Presto, you are covered and "Expectant Partner" gets his medication.
If Planned Parenthood wants to double the medications under one name that's fine, whether the insurance will cover high amounts of antibiotics with a 1 day supply is an entirely different story. If Planned Parenthood wants to put "Take as directed" for the directions that's fine as well. All you have to do is get a standing order from the NP at Planned Parenthood saying the medication is to have an X number of days supply. If the naughty NP decides to lie and say the course of therapy is for a longer duration than it actually is then she can discuss that with the insurance company during an audit. In either case you're ok.

It should be pretty straight forward. If you receive a script that is for "Expectant Partner" tell the individual presenting the prescription that you have to have a name and allergy history for the individual receiving the medication. The young lady presenting the script (it's usually women that are seen at Planned Parenthood clinics) can tell you the script is for John Holmes, Tony the Tiger, or any name she chooses. If she doesn't know about Mr. Wonderful's allergy history then write on the script NKDA. Presto, you are covered and "Expectant Partner" gets his medication.
If Planned Parenthood wants to double the medications under one name that's fine, whether the insurance will cover high amounts of antibiotics with a 1 day supply is an entirely different story. If Planned Parenthood wants to put "Take as directed" for the directions that's fine as well. All you have to do is get a standing order from the NP at Planned Parenthood saying the medication is to have an X number of days supply. If the naughty NP decides to lie and say the course of therapy is for a longer duration than it actually is then she can discuss that with the insurance company during an audit. In either case you're ok.

Agreed. This happened where I worked retail before. Our pharmacy was very close to a planned parenthood. Patients typically paid cash for their partner's medication. If they wanted to run through the insurance, we'd need the information. Lots of patients don't know their drug allergy information, anyway. Not to mention that most of the std treatments I saw were for young people who aren't typically on a lot of meds anyway...so drug-drug interactions are probably not AS big of a concern.

Just a note: the posted article is only valid for those in New York state. And at that is, it is only used for one specific type of STD. If it isn't for Chlamydia in New York state then there had better be a valid Rx on file (unless your state has an exception also). In my state that means a patient name and dob on the face of the script. No one, even politically connected groups like PP, are exempt from the law.

Just a note: the posted article is only valid for those in New York state. And at that is, it is only used for one specific type of STD. If it isn't for Chlamydia in New York state then there had better be a valid Rx on file (unless your state has an exception also). In my state that means a patient name and dob on the face of the script. No one, even politically connected groups like PP, are exempt from the law.

you sure?

CDC says 32 states are allow to use EPT. CDC guidelines also state that not treating the patient is worse. Because the STD is going to spread, and you are trying to prevent it. The guidelines recommends health care professionals treat the patient.

Last edited:
It's all well and fine that and fine the state says you are free from liability but it still doesn't prevent someone from trying for ruin your life cause they got hurt from and ADR.

If'd we are at the point that they want me to sell it to an anonymous patient will zero medical information (including allergies) then why not just sell it OTC?

I like PP and all but I hate overzealous self-righteous and trying to slip 2 patient treatments under 1 person pisses me off the most esp when you tell me you do it all the time

I'm still a student, but maybe you can dispense the medication with a package information on ADR? Or attach your pharmacy number and offer to counsel them. These people are young, so qt prolongation shouldn't be a problem haha... Maybe hepatitis would due intercourse and z pak does make alt raise.

Last edited: