PASS 2014 general questions thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should we write about CE courses attended or the self instruction CE courses taken, in PASS application? e.g in additional information section of PASS application?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends...it takes my school 5 min to write the letter. Deans have their Evaluation pre-written and they just have to add specifics like ranking, gpa, comments etc...Our was waiting till this week to begin even though the 14 applying requested in May. Timing depends on how busy of a schedule they have I guess.

For applying early most programs don't matter. My understanding hearing back from a few is that they review everyones application past the deadline so its no "rolling admissions".

Does anyone know if any of the CA programs actually need you to have taken WREB? I only have NERB so this would be a show stopper for me.

From my understanding if you will carry a specialty program or GPR you do not need to repeat the WREB.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the word on the use of pronouns in a personal statement? i was told by a professor to keep them at a minimum (he thought i had too many), but i find it hard to write a PERSONAL statement without them. thoughts?

Question regarding PPI/PEF/LORs!
When the ADEA rep came to talk at our school, she said the PPIs were what most programs weighted the most. Thus, I asked my dental instructors to write me PPIs. For the PEFs, I asked my undergrad PI that I did 3 years of research with and am publishing with, and the director of our community health dept (she's a PhD) that I've worked closely with.

However, I've added two programs to my list that require 3 LORs to be sent to them directly. (These are 2 NYC Lutheran programs.) Does that mean they don't look at my PPI/PEF? If not, then I'd like two of my PPI instructors to write me LORs... but I don't want to look bad/stupid asking for another letter. They've given me copies of their PPIs, but I think that would look sloppy to mail to the Lutheran programs. Any help? Anyone else applying to Lutheran programs and in this predicament or have a solution?

ALSO -- have you guys had a hard time contacting the programs to ask questions? I call, no one returns calls or when they ask to call back, I'm in clinic.. Should I email?

This whole PPI/PEF/LOR situation is killing me. :scared:

Personally I would have the most "influential" people write my PEF's. Just makes sense to me. The PPI is essentially a survey with a few sections that you can write a paragraph in. Just my opinion!

When the ADEA rep came to talk at our school, she said the PPIs were what most programs weighted the most. Thus, I asked my dental instructors to write me PPIs. For the PEFs, I asked my undergrad PI that I did 3 years of research with and am publishing with, and the director of our community health dept (she's a PhD) that I've worked closely with.

However, I've added two programs to my list that require 3 LORs to be sent to them directly. (These are 2 NYC Lutheran programs.) Does that mean they don't look at my PPI/PEF? If not, then I'd like two of my PPI instructors to write me LORs... but I don't want to look bad/stupid asking for another letter. They've given me copies of their PPIs, but I think that would look sloppy to mail to the Lutheran programs. Any help? Anyone else applying to Lutheran programs and in this predicament or have a solution?

ALSO -- have you guys had a hard time contacting the programs to ask questions? I call, no one returns calls or when they ask to call back, I'm in clinic.. Should I email?

Also, just because some guy from the ADEA came in and blabbed for a bit doesn't mean that is what the program directors are looking at.

Can anybody please help me out with this?
I am an international student and about to give my NBDE-II in September. I wish to apply to AEGD programs. Most of the programs to which I am applying have their deadlines around 1 October.
Should I wait for the NBDE-II results and apply just before the deadline (will take around 1 month to reach me and then to programs) or should I apply now with NBDE-I only (I am ready with all the PPI, PEF, LOR, SOP)

Basically I want to know what is more important in AEGD programs- early application or NBDE-II

Personally I would have the most "influential" people write my PEF's. Just makes sense to me. The PPI is essentially a survey with a few sections that you can write a paragraph in. Just my opinion!

Well I did a balance for the PPIs/PEFs, so it'll work out well. My question really is -- these programs that are asking for LORs sent directly.. should I just ask one of my PPIs to convert it to an LOR?

Can anybody please help me out with this?
I am an international student and about to give my NBDE-II in September. I wish to apply to AEGD programs. Most of the programs to which I am applying have their deadlines around 1 October.
Should I wait for the NBDE-II results and apply just before the deadline (will take around 1 month to reach me and then to programs) or should I apply now with NBDE-I only (I am ready with all the PPI, PEF, LOR, SOP)

Basically I want to know what is more important in AEGD programs- early application or NBDE-II

There are application prerequisites and matriculation prerequisites. Do not waste your time or money applying to programs that have part 2 as application prerequisites. However, most programs list part 2 as a matriculation requirement meaning you just better pass them before starting. You can always contact the programs you want to go to directly.

As for PPI/PEF, I feel like this is so much complication for such a small issue - why not just one format! I just did PPI's but I think PEF's are a better format. I doubt even many programs really understand this either. My guess is that the ADEA is pushing the PPI's as they are easier and quicker for educators to complete so they would obviously be in favor of that. Really is the most tedious part of this process.

Once we e-submit PASS application to different programs is there a way to check the status whether it was processed by ADEA? How do we know that our PASS application was sent to the program?

For those of us with NDBE PASS scores, do we still need to send an official score report? It kinda seems steep to send a big "P" to programs at $32.50 a pop.

I believe our institution evaluation reports our board scores too so I don't feel the need to order sealed reports.

Faculty only took 8 minutes to do PPI...should I include it in my report?