Pass/Fail Option, whats the point...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

max_wannelius

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys actually use this? The way it factors into GPA at my school is, Pass = NC (No credit), Fail = NC (No credit). No credit is equal to 0 points when calculating GPA, which is exactly equivalent to an F. BUT there must be some benefit to "Pass/Fail", otherwise they wouldn't have it?

Members don't see this ad.

max_wannelius said:
Any of you guys actually use this? The way it factors into GPA at my school is, Pass = NC (No credit), Fail = NC (No credit). No credit is equal to 0 points when calculating GPA, which is exactly equivalent to an F. BUT there must be some benefit to "Pass/Fail", otherwise they wouldn't have it?
It doesn't hurt you like an F bc the credit hours dont count when averaging your GPA.

It allows you to take a fun class or to try out a subject you are interested in without getting overly stressed about achieving an A in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
BigRedPremed said:
It allows you to take a fun class or to try out a subject you are interested in without getting overly stressed about achieving an A in it.

Yep, that was my initial motivation. The class I plan to take is a 400-level math; I could learn a ton. One last doubt: how does a fail look on the transcript? You are an adcom, you don't see an "F", you see a "fail"; what goes through your mind?

if you are going to take it p/f, make sure you pass it. if you aren't going to put the work into it to get a C- or whatever, then just audit the class. don't fail anything.

In all honesty, putting in the effort needed to get a C isn't that hard. Unless you plan to skip all your classes or completely ignore the teacher, you will most likely be able to pass the class.

Compass said:
In all honesty, putting in the effort needed to get a C isn't that hard. Unless you plan to skip all your classes or completely ignore the teacher, you will most likely be able to pass the class.

Depends on the class and grading system. If your grade is based on two research papers, and you're a horrible writer, it might be hard to pull off a C. If half your grade is based on class discussions, and you're a quiet person that doesn't get heard, it might be hard to pull off a C. Just depends.

I'm a non-trad and in my first degree program I completed two semesters of a foreign language. Now that I'm back in school, to earn my second degree I have to complete a third semester in that language. Yippee! I see this as a perfect class to take pass/fail.

Compass said:

In some of my engineering courses, I've seen people do quite a bit of work only to end up with a C.