Pass/Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCAT_gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to this forum. Am using my friend's user ID. :)

Am planning on applying to Ortho programs. I have some questions that might seem dumb, but I would appreciate your input.

What's the difference between PASS and MATCH- I see that some programs I want to apply to participate in PASS and some in MATCH.

And do I need to take the GRE to apply for an Ortho program? It seems like most programs want GRE scores!! Where do you all find the time to take GRE while in dental school?? Do they really look at your scores on the GRE or is it just a formality?

What scores on the NDBE are considered competitive? Most people seem to have scores above 90 anyway. So do they look at your dental school GPA/class rank/NDBE/GRE - which would you all say is most important?

Thanks in advance for your answers! :)

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between PASS and MATCH- I see that some programs I want to apply to participate in PASS and some in MATCH.

that must be a very large rock you've been living under the last few years. just google PASS ADEA and NATMATCH DENTAL. each organization has a website which explains in detail the process, and gives examples. plus check the faq's here on sdn.

What scores on the NDBE are considered competitive? Most people seem to have scores above 90 anyway. So do they look at your dental school GPA/class rank/NDBE/GRE - which would you all say is most important?

Frankly, it all depends who you ask and what programs you may be interested in. Your GPA only matters in the sense that it determines your class rank. Programs don't care if you have a 3.8 if that means you are in the middle 50% of your class.

Does the GRE matter? Yes and No. Doing poorly could cost you an interview at a program with "minimum" standards. However, doing well isn't going to solidify your spot in any program.

Overall, the two most important numbers are your Board Score (at least a 90) and your class rank (top 10-15%) and will determine the number of interviews you receive and the types of programs interested in giving you an interview. After those items it is just important to be a well-rounded, personable, and humble individual.

A factor that is not often discussed, yet I feel is more important than many acknowledge is the dental school you attend. Certain schools have a strong reputation of their students performing really solidly in residence programs and really knowing their stuff. These reputations are built up over LONG periods of time and may or may not be warranted. Ultimately, the candidate will determine whether or not they are accepted to a program with their record and interview. However, the name of the University at the top of your transcript can go a long way towards forming an impression of you before a program director even looks at your file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All

Where do you all find the time to take GRE while in dental school??

Dude, I took the GRE During Christmas break of my D3 year. I studied for about 4 days, and the test itself took in about 5 hours.

Don't you think you can find that kind of time somewhere along the way?

Hi All

I am new to this forum. Am using my friend's user ID. :)

Am planning on applying to Ortho programs. I have some questions that might seem dumb, but I would appreciate your input.

And do I need to take the GRE to apply for an Ortho program? It seems like most programs want GRE scores!! Where do you all find the time to take GRE while in dental school?? Do they really look at your scores on the GRE or is it just a formality?

Thanks in advance for your answers! :)

Good responses have been given.

1. Welcome to SDN. You'll get the most out of your experience if you register and become a member. SDN is a great site for getting information about the application process.

2. PASS is an post-grad application clearinghouse service (run by the ADEA--you remember AADSAS, right?). PASS deals with submitting applications to programs. MATCH deals with matching to a program. Most programs use PASS and MATCH, but some use only one or neither. PASS and MATCH serve very different purposes, but you need to become familiar with both as you determine what programs to apply to.

3. Many ortho programs require the GRE. As other posters have mentioned, it seems that students study minimally for it. I gather that it isn't very important, especially if you have a good application. If anything, the programs probably want to see that you score above a certain minimum score. What that score is I don't know, but I'm sure others can take a guess.

4. GPA isn't important at all, except as to how it relates to your class rank. Class rank and Part I scores are the most important items on your application because they will allow you to progress to secondary applications or to interviews.

Dude, I took the GRE During Christmas break of my D3 year. I studied for about 4 days, and the test itself took in about 5 hours.

Dude, 4 days is a lot of prep for the GRE. Most dental students would get an excellent score on the math portion blindfolded and I just don't think there is a good way to STUDY for the vocabulary or writing sections.

Nevertheless, the "magic" number I have heard is 1200 combined math/vocabulary. I find this to be a bit low because the math scores are artificially high relative to the vocabulary section. Greater than 5% of test takers receive a perfect 800 on the math portion.

In terms of finding time, I would imagine you could find the 15 minutes it takes to register for the exam and one morning to go in and take the test. It is a real difficult challenge to overcome.

Good responses have been given.

1. Welcome to SDN. You'll get the most out of your experience if you register and become a member. SDN is a great site for getting information about the application process.

2. PASS is an post-grad application clearinghouse service (run by the ADEA--you remember AADSAS, right?). PASS deals with submitting applications to programs. MATCH deals with matching to a program. Most programs use PASS and MATCH, but some use only one or neither. PASS and MATCH serve very different purposes, but you need to become familiar with both as you determine what programs to apply to.

3. Many ortho programs require the GRE. As other posters have mentioned, it seems that students study minimally for it. I gather that it isn't very important, especially if you have a good application. If anything, the programs probably want to see that you score above a certain minimum score. What that score is I don't know, but I'm sure others can take a guess.

4. GPA isn't important at all, except as to how it relates to your class rank. Class rank and Part I scores are the most important items on your application because they will allow you to progress to secondary applications or to interviews.

Gavin,

How about some official 2007 Match threads? :thumbup: