PASSED A DEADLINE !HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in one of those combined programs for BchS/MD but i submitted my application late by a little bit of time (primary) and submitted all of my paperwork (LOR,TRANSC. etc) and secondaries to the school prior to their final deadline. They don't seem to have noticed yet,but I'm not sure if i want to mention anything maybe id lose my spot .

any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above, wait it out and don't contact them; it might slip through, but usually schools are quite stringent on deadlines.

Ugh. I feel like this is terrible advice at the medical school level. Schools are really big on professionalism and owning responsibility for your actions.

I don't know how you submit for an MD in a linked program, but if it's by AMCAS, I believe schools have a bunch of settings/filters they can use to go through the primary applications. Someone who submits late may not get their app downloaded/reviewed. Never getting an acceptance or rejection b/c they think you never applied would be a bummer application cycle.

Ugh. I feel like this is terrible advice at the medical school level. Schools are really big on professionalism and owning responsibility for your actions.

I don't know how you submit for an MD in a linked program, but if it's by AMCAS, I believe schools have a bunch of settings/filters they can use to go through the primary applications. Someone who submits late may not get their app downloaded/reviewed. Never getting an acceptance or rejection b/c they think you never applied would be a bummer application cycle.

Owning up won't do anything, most likely just tell them to apply next year or tough luck. Sure they'd appreciate the professionalism as they ignore your app completely.

Really, this is something OP shouldn't have let happened in the first place, but I wish them luck.

I mean they called me and told me that they haven't received anything when i learned about the deadline. A week later everything was received and they confirmed it. But they never mentioned anything, or at least not yet.

I mean they called me and told me that they haven't received anything when i learned about the deadline. A week later everything was received and they confirmed it. But they never mentioned anything, or at least not yet.

Did they call you after the deadline? If they confirmed receipt, I would reach out and be humble/polite/professional and ask if it will be impacting your ability to keep your place in the program. Likely they will tell you it's fine (why would they contact you for late documents if they weren't going to accept them?), but in unlikely event it has jeopardized your standing, it would be best to know now when you can discuss getting an exception from the deadline rather than waiting until May and finding it strange you still haven't gotten any admissions info. My guess is that this happens often with students in combined programs since you aren't having to neurotically keep track of the application process.

Overall, handling this stuff politely/professionally can never hurt. The people who you interact with in admissions will be around you for the next four years . . . some may in the future be advising you or writing your dean's letter for residency applications.

I'd call and say "Hey I submitted everything on day x and I know it was due the following day on day y. I'm just concerned as it was very close to the deadline and a even a small hiccup in the mail could make the difference here."

Of course that'd be lying, but I'd still do it. It sounds reasonable enough. They make paperwork errors all the time.

I asked about my status remaining active and the lady just said she won't know anything anymore and the next thing i should hear from them "hopefully" is for an interview.

Bump

Still unsure of what to do,extremely lost and anxious

I don't see what advice anybody could offer here for your situation. Beyond contacting the school as suggested above, did you write an email to you adviser asking about your situation?

It looks from your other posts that you're applying to multiple medical schools. Don't most combined programs put you into the regular applicant pool if you apply to other places? The only thing you can do with regards to program if you've already contacted them is wait. I remember seeing this thread when you first posted and assumed, like Pietachok, that you missed the deadline because you were not entrenched in the application process. If you were actually doing other applications, I think it puts your missed deadline in a more negative light and you definitely need to reach out to your program adviser to figure out what, if anything, you can do. You should have some sort of combined degree adviser, no?

We do have an advisor but I feel like if I mention it to her it would threaten my position ahhh man

We do have an advisor but I feel like if I mention it to her it would threaten my position ahhh man
There's nothing you can do about it now. At least now you have learned an important life lesson: always double-check for deadlines. Don't ever make excuses; if worst comes to worst, take the blame and move on. If you are in a combined program, you're probably smart so you probably will make it one day. It's just a matter of when. Learn your lesson and get on with life.