Passed NAPLEX/MPJE, here's some experience talk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taowen1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First I need to thank everyone here who took the NAPLEX before me and had provide so much guidance and confidence prior taking that exam.
If needing to take it again, besides calculations, MOAs, some basic ADMEs and DDIs, I would DEFINITELY study the ADRs. Majority of mine were derived from how much you can deal with ADRs/DDIs. For example, what drugs are 3A4 or 2D6 substrates/inh./inducers, many of my clinical questions asked me to choose a drug with least interaction with ones already on profile. Also, need to know basic brand/generic---my strategy was, however developed during the test, they WILL throw some names that are rarely heard unless you specialize in that area; like all other test-taking strategies, I chose my answers through elimination: assuming you know or able to associate most drugs with the disease states, somehow they give you a drug that you never heard of, probably you want to check the PHM, then you'd match drug-disease accordingly. My underlying thought was, if a drug is asked, there's gotta be something wrong with the drug-disease/drug-drug interactions.
Here I strongly encourage you not to freak out right after the exam, I studied for little over a week, the last 6 days were more intense that I spend purely 5-7 hours QD on RxPrep (mainly+the quiz banks), my school review material, SDN120. I took the PreNABPLEX 2 times, 76 (taken 1 wk before graduation w/o studying) and 105 (taken 2 days before the real one, however, I had lots of CA, HIV and RA stuff on this); my RxPrep practice was 68% taken 3 days before the real one. I was depressed and frustrated throughout the study all the way through the real exam day. So on the day of exam, questions were not as hard as I anticipated, rather they were tricky (make sure you read every word on the question) and I had to read the question couple times to make sure I understand what they're asking. I was in some sort of anxiety mode before knowing the result, like most of test taker, I thought I definitely need to take it in 91 days. Then 2 days later, not only I passed, I scored 111. Then my heart beats/rhythm were then back to normal and I could have a life.
Speaking of MPJE, prior to that I've never heard of anyone fail that. Seems like people only stress about NAPLEX instead of Law. I did study for about 4 days, I didn't know the state law I'm about to practice in until I start studying. Luckily there's not much difference from the state I graduated from. Some of those were even simpler. BUT, at day of exam, lots of questions were worded little ambiguous or confusing to a point that I'm not sure what you're asking or I don't see why one answer can't be better than the other. Walking out the exam, I thought I bombed that MPJE really bad. Again, into the zone of anxiety until I found out my score 2 days after that I passed.
I'm not a 4.0 student in school, I would rate myself above average in terms of grades. But I do have different angles analyzing stuff which at times it helps. I HAVE ALWAYS been a nervous test taker. No matter how much I prepare, I still get nervous. Especially I treat these 2 exams as life-threatening event for 1st try.
Lastly, thanks for wasting your time reading my post. I can't predict what will be on your exam, but I do think confidence is a key to success. Seriously we all graduate from accredited Pharm.D. classes, showing we're smart and competent. My words to you is don't stress out, if I can pass, so can you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users