Passed NAPLEX--my advice.. also help for MA MPJE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfinnegan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off--advice for NAPLEX

I've always been terrible at studying--always put it off until the night before exams during pharmacy school so making myself study for NAPLEX was really like pulling teeth.
Plus, I didn't hear about the RxPrep book until it was too late, so I studied from the drawn out APhA chapters.

I really only started studying about a week/week and a half before my exam which I do NOT recommend, as I was stressed to the max the entire time (However, maybe this will ease the minds of any procrastinators out there--you can still pass!).
So as I said, in spite of my lacking studying (I honestly skipped over several chapters due to lack of time), I still passed with a 100. Not the highest of scores, but I was ready to take a 75 if I needed to!

I think that what helped me the most was that I've never had any problems with math; my exam had a LOT of calculations, so make sure you memorize formulas you might need (IBW, BSA, CrCl, LD, t1/2, mEq, mOsmol, steroid conversion, opioid conversion, error, SR, alligation, trituration, etc.). I made myself a review sheet with all the formulas and conversions I wanted to memorize and I think that was extremely helpful (it was the only thing I let myself "study" the day before the exam). The APhA book has some good calculations questions, but I also did some from the 120 problems on this website, I didn't have time to do all of them, but I tried to skim for ones I wanted practice with and do those. Oh and no need to memorize lab values, references were given with the patient profiles.

Other than that, the NAPLEX is really hard to predict. I certainly got a bunch of questions that I knew right away, but you definitely have to be prepared to see some oddball questions and be okay with not knowing the answer. Keeping calm and pacing yourself is key, you don't want to waste your time on a question you're not going to get right anyway. Make an educated guess and move on. Topics I had questions on were oncology, herbals (both of which were chapters I did NOT get to), drug interactions, dosage forms (nothing obscure), sterile compounding (not a lot), biostatistics, diuretics, contraindications, HTN, HF (know which drugs can decrease mortality), arrhythmias (know which drugs affect ventricular rate), hyperlipidemia (know which drugs affect which lab values), DM (know the max doses, brand names, counseling points for injectable stuff, etc--a lot on this), hyper/hypothyroidism, osteoporosis treatments and risk factors, ID (know the general empiric treatment for all common infections, APhA chapter is helpful for this), vaccines (didn't study this and wish I had), drug information (this was easy for me because I had a DI rotation), pain/migraines, some HIV and some GI stuff.

Make sure you go to the bathroom beforehand; any unscheduled break is time out of your exam and I needed most of that time (I finished with about 15 minutes left). There is 1 10-minute scheduled break in the middle if you choose to take it. I also asked for the handheld calculator, I found that to be easier than the on-screen one. They have big earmuffs at each station to block out noise, but they will also offer you earplugs if you prefer those. I took them just in case, but didn't end up using them, noise doesn't really bother me.

So overall, I think that if you can nail the calculations and know enough about the therapeutics to make it through, you can certainly pass! If your goal is a really high score, than start studying at least a month ahead of time.

Okay so now my question is, advice from anyone who has passed the MA MPJE?? Mine is on Monday. I've been reading the 105 and 247 CMR and plan to read the 3 pertinent MGLs, but I'm really worried. I've heard the exam is quite vague and I'm just wondering what is the most important to review (as I don't have much time left). I just really need to pass in order to start my job (my boss is counting on me to replace someone and also cover his vacation..no pressure, right??). Really any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First off--advice for NAPLEX

I've always been terrible at studying--always put it off until the night before exams during pharmacy school so making myself study for NAPLEX was really like pulling teeth.
Plus, I didn't hear about the RxPrep book until it was too late, so I studied from the drawn out APhA chapters.

I really only started studying about a week/week and a half before my exam which I do NOT recommend, as I was stressed to the max the entire time (However, maybe this will ease the minds of any procrastinators out there--you can still pass!).
So as I said, in spite of my lacking studying (I honestly skipped over several chapters due to lack of time), I still passed with a 100. Not the highest of scores, but I was ready to take a 75 if I needed to!

I think that what helped me the most was that I've never had any problems with math; my exam had a LOT of calculations, so make sure you memorize formulas you might need (IBW, BSA, CrCl, LD, t1/2, mEq, mOsmol, steroid conversion, opioid conversion, error, SR, alligation, trituration, etc.). I made myself a review sheet with all the formulas and conversions I wanted to memorize and I think that was extremely helpful (it was the only thing I let myself "study" the day before the exam). The APhA book has some good calculations questions, but I also did some from the 120 problems on this website, I didn't have time to do all of them, but I tried to skim for ones I wanted practice with and do those. Oh and no need to memorize lab values, references were given with the patient profiles.

Other than that, the NAPLEX is really hard to predict. I certainly got a bunch of questions that I knew right away, but you definitely have to be prepared to see some oddball questions and be okay with not knowing the answer. Keeping calm and pacing yourself is key, you don't want to waste your time on a question you're not going to get right anyway. Make an educated guess and move on. Topics I had questions on were oncology, herbals (both of which were chapters I did NOT get to), drug interactions, dosage forms (nothing obscure), sterile compounding (not a lot), biostatistics, diuretics, contraindications, HTN, HF (know which drugs can decrease mortality), arrhythmias (know which drugs affect ventricular rate), hyperlipidemia (know which drugs affect which lab values), DM (know the max doses, brand names, counseling points for injectable stuff, etc--a lot on this), hyper/hypothyroidism, osteoporosis treatments and risk factors, ID (know the general empiric treatment for all common infections, APhA chapter is helpful for this), vaccines (didn't study this and wish I had), drug information (this was easy for me because I had a DI rotation), pain/migraines, some HIV and some GI stuff.

Make sure you go to the bathroom beforehand; any unscheduled break is time out of your exam and I needed most of that time (I finished with about 15 minutes left). There is 1 10-minute scheduled break in the middle if you choose to take it. I also asked for the handheld calculator, I found that to be easier than the on-screen one. They have big earmuffs at each station to block out noise, but they will also offer you earplugs if you prefer those. I took them just in case, but didn't end up using them, noise doesn't really bother me.

So overall, I think that if you can nail the calculations and know enough about the therapeutics to make it through, you can certainly pass! If your goal is a really high score, than start studying at least a month ahead of time.

Okay so now my question is, advice from anyone who has passed the MA MPJE?? Mine is on Monday. I've been reading the 105 and 247 CMR and plan to read the 3 pertinent MGLs, but I'm really worried. I've heard the exam is quite vague and I'm just wondering what is the most important to review (as I don't have much time left). I just really need to pass in order to start my job (my boss is counting on me to replace someone and also cover his vacation..no pressure, right??). Really any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

I am just like, I never studied except for a day or two before the exam. I am a big procrastinator. I always used to say after the exam, I am going to study away before the exam but I never did; I usually used to skip all the classes the day before the exam and pull all-nighter and then after the exam, I would skip all the classes and go home and sleep. Anyway, I am also taking the Mass law this Thursday (July 12) and honestly, I have not read single thing on law as of yet. I have the same question as you. I bought the review packet from rxlaw.org and going to study that and I am going to read through the CMR 247 and our class notes.

Can you email me the one page review sheet with all the formulas and conversions? Thanks

Heyyy winter32842, I would but I actually wrote it by hand (helped me memorize it). But it was essentially just all the formulas I mentioned above.

I have a formula sheet I found on the internet that helped me a lot! I can send it to you. What is your email address?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the same boat as you guys with the MA MPJE. I studied a book on federal law and i am going to look over MA law (CMR 105 and 247) tomorrow, hopefully that's sufficient but I am really nervous now that I've heard so many horror stories about the MPJE.

Hi, can you send the formula sheet to me as well.
actually I got your attachments that you posted!
thanks!

Last edited:
I just found out today that I passed the naplex!! :soexcited:Just like almost everyone else here, I was very nervous before the exam. I was planning on taking the pre-naplex from NABP's website, but never really got around to it. The night before my exam I was thinking of taking the pre naplex, but then I started thinking if I don't do well, I won't have the confidence to do well on the actual exam, so I decided on not taking it. If you guys plan on taking the pre naplex, do take it at least 1 week before your actual exam, that way you will know where you stand and in which areas you need to improve.

A huge lesson learned is that it's very important to manage your time properly during the exam. You should take no more than about 1 min 30 seconds per question. I was double and triple checking my answers and ran out of time in the end. I had about 15 mins remaining with around 25 questions still left! That incorporated a string of about 10 math questions as well. I was completely freaking out since I was running out of time so I ended up guessing on the math questions I had in the end. You need to make sure you answer every question on the exam...there is a penalty for not answering all questions. Also, if you don't answer at least 162 of the questions, they don't give you a score...meaning you fail. Surprisingly, I had only about 15 or so math questions total in my entire exam...and 10 of them being in the end when I was running out of time really had me nervous and devastated. I walked out of the exam feeling extremely depressed and certain that I had failed since I guessed on those last math questions...plus I guessed on many other questions and made a few stupid mistakes on easy questions. Despite all of that, I still managed to pass with flying colors!

Here are some tips: pace yourself during the exam...time management is important. When you get to a patient profile, READ THE QUESTION FIRST, that way you know what they are getting at and what to look for. Pay attention to patient allergies as well. When an answer seems obvious to you, select it. Chances are you know the answer and they are not trying to trick you. It's not a very difficult exam guys, you can do it! Make sure you give yourself adequate time to study...at least 1 month! Also, make sure you know statistics...the Rxprep book statistics chapter does a good job summarizing it and making it clear as to exactly what you need to know.

Here is a list of all the resources I used for the exam:

1. RxPrep book - very very beneficial! It's to the point and incorporates pretty much all you need to know!

2. RxPrep question bank - I am not sure exactly how beneficial this was, but it is a good resource to understand the basic concepts of each topic. The questions pull out the important concepts from each chapter and allow you to test yourself on these concepts. Plus, I like quizzing myself, so the questions were good for practice.

3. APhA book - this book is way too detailed and a nightmare to study from, which I'm sure a lot of you know. I had this book before I purchased the Rxprep book...so I was kind of stuck having to study from it. I read about half of it. I also did the math questions and some end of the chapter questions from important topics such as ID, HIV, diabetes, and antipsychotics.

4. Finally, this is a MUST DO - 120 questions. These quetsions are very helpful in preparing you for the math portion of the exam...if you guys need me to send it to you, let me know.

Make sure to get a good night's sleep the night before the exam. If you have any questions about the exam, let me know. Again, this is not a difficult exam, it's not difficult to pass. Take a deep breath, relax, and pace yourself...you can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
I am just like, I never studied except for a day or two before the exam. I am a big procrastinator. I always used to say after the exam, I am going to study away before the exam but I never did; I usually used to skip all the classes the day before the exam and pull all-nighter and then after the exam, I would skip all the classes and go home and sleep. Anyway, I am also taking the Mass law this Thursday (July 12) and honestly, I have not read single thing on law as of yet. I have the same question as you. I bought the review packet from rxlaw.org and going to study that and I am going to read through the CMR 247 and our class notes.

Can you email me the one page review sheet with all the formulas and conversions? Thanks

Hey Winter, can you please email me the formula sheet too please!

I just found out today that I passed the naplex!! :soexcited:Just like almost everyone else here, I was very nervous before the exam. I was planning on taking the pre-naplex from NABP's website, but never really got around to it. The night before my exam I was thinking of taking the pre naplex, but then I started thinking if I don't do well, I won't have the confidence to do well on the actual exam, so I decided on not taking it. If you guys plan on taking the pre naplex, do take it at least 1 week before your actual exam, that way you will know where you stand and in which areas you need to improve.

A huge lesson learned is that it's very important to manage your time properly during the exam. You should take no more than about 1 min 30 seconds per question. I was double and triple checking my answers and ran out of time in the end. I had about 15 mins remaining with around 25 questions still left! That incorporated a string of about 10 math questions as well. I was completely freaking out since I was running out of time so I ended up guessing on the math questions I had in the end. You need to make sure you answer every question on the exam...there is a penalty for not answering all questions. Also, if you don't answer at least 162 of the questions, they don't give you a score...meaning you fail. Surprisingly, I had only about 15 or so math questions total in my entire exam...and 10 of them being in the end when I was running out of time really had me nervous and devastated. I walked out of the exam feeling extremely depressed and certain that I had failed since I guessed on those last math questions...plus I guessed on many other questions and made a few stupid mistakes on easy questions. Despite all of that, I still managed to pass with flying colors!

Here are some tips: pace yourself during the exam...time management is important. When you get to a patient profile, READ THE QUESTION FIRST, that way you know what they are getting at and what to look for. Pay attention to patient allergies as well. When an answer seems obvious to you, select it. Chances are you know the answer and they are not trying to trick you. It's not a very difficult exam guys, you can do it! Make sure you give yourself adequate time to study...at least 1 month! Also, make sure you know statistics...the Rxprep book statistics chapter does a good job summarizing it and making it clear as to exactly what you need to know.

Here is a list of all the resources I used for the exam:

1. RxPrep book - very very beneficial! It's to the point and incorporates pretty much all you need to know!

2. RxPrep question bank - I am not sure exactly how beneficial this was, but it is a good resource to understand the basic concepts of each topic. The questions pull out the important concepts from each chapter and allow you to test yourself on these concepts. Plus, I like quizzing myself, so the questions were good for practice.

3. APhA book - this book is way too detailed and a nightmare to study from, which I'm sure a lot of you know. I had this book before I purchased the Rxprep book...so I was kind of stuck having to study from it. I read about half of it. I also did the math questions and some end of the chapter questions from important topics such as ID, HIV, diabetes, and antipsychotics.

4. Finally, this is a MUST DO - 120 questions. These quetsions are very helpful in preparing you for the math portion of the exam...if you guys need me to send it to you, let me know.

Make sure to get a good night's sleep the night before the exam. If you have any questions about the exam, let me know. Again, this is not a difficult exam, it's not difficult to pass. Take a deep breath, relax, and pace yourself...you can do it!

Would you be able to send me those 120 questions?? Thank you so much!

ughh i take it tuesday and i am so over studying, been through RxPrep twice so far, second time i just wrote down all little tidbits i thought were important, i probably wont look at what i wrote but writing things down has always helped me. Goign to go over math again and some brand/generics today and then review oncology/hiv tomorrow (i have been avoiding these like the plague)

just want to watch netflix haaaa

Could you send me the 120 questions?

Please see attached file below.

Good luck and we will welcome back here to help others after you pass the exam. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• 120 Math Questions with Answers from Student Doctor Network dot org, very helpful for NAPLEX (3).pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 95