Passed Naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cindypharmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I've read various posts regarding NAPLEX preparations/advice and felt they helped guide my studying a lot! So I figured I would share my own advice for the NAPLEX for those who are preparing for the exam.

My Educational Background: Recent PharmD grad.

Materials Used:
- RxPrep - this one resource has everything you need to pass the exam. I read through the entire book once (in a period of about 2.5 weeks). I then revisited major topics like diabetes, HL, COPD/Asthma ... (with a focus on just drugs)
- RxPrep Quiz Bank - I used this resource during my last week of studying. Again, I focused quizzing myself on major topics (I didnt have time to complete all quizzes). If I scored low on a topic, I revisited that topic.
- 120 SDN calculation questions - available is other forums
- Pre-NAPLEX - is not helpful in preparing for naplex since it's only 50q but it helps to let you know where you stand as far as passing. I took it 2 days prior to naplex
- I didnt study the day before exam.

PreNaplex Score: 114. Naplex score: 113
total time: 4 weeks

Final piece of advice: master calculations! Those are your easy points! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
congrats!! :) thankYou for your valuable advice. Please tell me how much math questions did you get on your exam? Also,lso were they easy or difficult? I am weak at math so please help!!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say 30 -40 were calculations. there was a good variety of calcs,. The calculations chapter in rxprep covered everything i was presented with on NAPLEX, know TPNs calcs, mmol, mEq, MW, CrCl. if you have access to rxprep, they teach a really easy method to solving compounding questions (i.e. using a 10% and 3% product, how do you make a 6%).

the 120 SDN calc questions also is a great review [the pdf file has solutions and explanations to each question].

Level of difficulty: Easy

Last edited:
I'd say 30 -40 were calculations. there was a good variety of calcs,. The calculations chapter in rxprep covered everything i was presented with on NAPLEX, know TPNs calcs, mmol, mEq, MW, CrCl. if you have access to rxprep, they teach a really easy method to solving compounding questions (i.e. using a 10% and 3% product, how do you make a 6%).

the 120 SDN calc questions also is a great review [the pdf file has solutions and explanations to each question].

Level of difficulty: Easy

Thanks alot!! that would help!! :)

ooops sorry i mean # 57.if D= W/V how come the multiplied weight with density.
Though i did almost all calculation right, I dont know.........

Reactions: 1 user
My pre-naplex was 75 and the real deal 110 so I wouldn't put much faith in the pre nap either.

For the NAPLEX, how important is it to know the Max dose? dosing for drugs?
Is frequency of dosing sufficient?
I'm having trouble remembering them.

Dosing is not really a priority on NAPLEX. Don't worry too much about it. However, CPJE/MPJE tends to focus more on dosing- so there's a caveat in terms of trying to memorize dosing.

I had only one question about frequency/dosing. So I wouldnt go through too much trouble learning them now, just rely on what you may recognize from work/rotations.

ooops sorry i mean # 57.if D= W/V how come the multiplied weight with density.
Though i did almost all calculation right, I dont know.........

sg= weight (g) / volume (mL). the solution's sg = 1.4 g/mL

50% w/w translates to 50 g / 100 g. Your final answer will be % w/v i.e. g/ 100mL

so 50g/100g * 1.4 g/mL = 0.7 g/mL --> 70 g/ 100mL --> 70% w/v

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dosing is not really a priority on NAPLEX. Don't worry too much about it. However, CPJE/MPJE tends to focus more on dosing- so there's a caveat in terms of trying to memorize dosing.

I had only one question about frequency/dosing. So I wouldnt go through too much trouble learning them now, just rely on what you may recognize from work/rotations.

Thanks Guys! :)

I have the RXPrep book and quiz bank. I pretty much studied every chapter but I feel like I know the bare minimum, not really mastering any topic. I don't feel too confident, I take the Naplex this Saturday, should I postpone? Any advise/comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I have the RXPrep book and quiz bank. I pretty much studied every chapter but I feel like I know the bare minimum, not really mastering any topic. I don't feel too confident, I take the Naplex this Saturday, should I postpone? Any advise/comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
plex
You take the pre-naplex brah?

Stop it.

I had my smart friend freaking out like this before the NAPLEX.

For people like me its life your skinny friend calling you up talking about how her clothes are too small and she cant find clothes that fit. :rolleyes:

Stop freaking out and take the darn test! :thumbup:

I just took the Naplex and I have mixed feelings: I don't feel like I bombed it but I don't think the test was that easy... I got a lot of biostats and pharmaceutics questions (what such excipient is for..). On the other hand, 2 oncology, 1 ID, 1 HIV...and I spent a lot of time of these sections which probably wasn't needed in order to answer them. Anybody else felt the same after taking it? Did you pass?

I just took the Naplex and I have mixed feelings: I don't feel like I bombed it but I don't think the test was that easy... I got a lot of biostats and pharmaceutics questions (what such excipient is for..). On the other hand, 2 oncology, 1 ID, 1 HIV...and I spent a lot of time of these sections which probably wasn't needed in order to answer them. Anybody else felt the same after taking it? Did you pass?

I just took it yesterday. It wasn't hard imo, it was either you knew it or you didn't. Unfortunately for me, a lot of those multiple check box answer questions, I was 110% sure of all but 1 or 2 things and therefore might have blown the whole question. Other things that hurt me were a couple of questions of brand names that I wasn't familiar with (and I've worked 4 years retail, 2 years outpatient VA pharmacy, and was a good student) as they're just stuff I've never seen dispensed nor covered in class.

Does NABP email us when scores are posted or we constantly have to sign in and check?

I took naplex on 6/29. My status changed to registration closed but I am in California and my state doesn't let nabp post the score on the dashboard . How can I check in advance I pass or fail instead of just waiting for the regular mail come in ?

go to your state board website and search 'nabp results' some states have their own website that u can check using your ATT# and candidate ID.

For everyone that has passed, How did the you feel after you came out? i felt good, i got lots of calculations which is my favorite, i messed up on a few (2-5) easy questions like brand and generic, dosage forms etc. I did well on diagnosing and monitoring parameters, stats, otc (got an easy one wrong on ppis) but overrall i think i did ok yet for some reason im very very very nervous!

I took naplex on 6/29. My status changed to registration closed but I am in California and my state doesn't let nabp post the score on the dashboard . How can I check in advance I pass or fail instead of just waiting for the regular mail come in ?

It comes in the mail. You cannot check in advance for California.

Congrats to all that pass the Naplex, can you guys share what are some important things to focus on for the exam? is dosage form important?

Hey guys, I'll be taking the Naplex this saturday and I'm really nervous about the math. I'm doing the math on Rxprep quiz bank and it seems pretty straightforward, whereas the SDN 120 questions were a lot harder. Which one do you think is more indicative of what the Naplex questions will be like? Thank you!

Hey guys, what do you think. I don't think it'll be a problem and I just noticed it. My drivers license, credit cards and my ATT all say my full middle name. Also, the signature on my credit cards both say my full middle name although the signature on my drivers license does not say my middle name at all. I can't find it in any of the rules and I figured since the state didn't care when I got my drivers license, why would anyone else. Anyone else run into this?

Hey guys, I'll be taking the Naplex this saturday and I'm really nervous about the math. I'm doing the math on Rxprep quiz bank and it seems pretty straightforward, whereas the SDN 120 questions were a lot harder. Which one do you think is more indicative of what the Naplex questions will be like? Thank you!

RxPrep is more than enough

As long as the actual name on your license, CC, and ATT match you should be fine. My driver's license and CC signatures did not include my middle name but the actual name printed on them did.

Hi all, congrats on passing the naplex. I still have little more than 2 weeks before naplex and I wanted to know about brand/generic on the naplex. I heard that for many dosage and mdd is not something they would test and its more like basic disease state kind of testing.

So for brand/generic, did you guys encounter something simple like what is lipitor? or use of brand in a case so you have to know what that brand is.?

I took the naplex yesterday and I thought it was pretty hard. I got a lot onc, HIV, and immunization questions which I wasn't too prepared for. Also I finished in less than 3 hours which makes me nervous because I feel like maybe I didn't read through each question and case thoroughly....

Definitely practice math, and for brand/generic names, I didn't get too simple ones like "lipitor." But definitely study at least the top 200 drugs!

thanks!, would you say alot of the questions it know the basics of disease states? I just don't know what of focus on

I took the naplex yesterday and I thought it was pretty hard. I got a lot onc, HIV, and immunization questions which I wasn't too prepared for. Also I finished in less than 3 hours which makes me nervous because I feel like maybe I didn't read through each question and case thoroughly....

Definitely practice math, and for brand/generic names, I didn't get too simple ones like "lipitor." But definitely study at least the top 200 drugs!

I also took the naplex yesterday and I felt the same way. Sounds like my exam was pretty similar. Ill let you guys know when I find out.

I would study the whole book if you have time because they can ask you on ANYTHING. I read all of RXprep once then re-reviewed the major chronic conditions ie HTN, hyperlipidemia, pain, COPD, diabetes. And again know your math! I studied the misc chapters like drug references, medication safety, last.

Congrats! How did you study for the naplex? suggestions?

I only studied rxprep and it was exactly what you need to know. The exam as you have probably heard is mostly safety based. I would go through the rxprep book at least once, know your basic brand names, go back through the rxprep book a second time to make sure you know your counseling points, prophylactic regimens and any other random safety points.

Let me know if you have any more questions but rxprep was more than enough and I felt like I got at least 40 questions right solely because of the book.

How long did it take you to go through the rxprep each time? Did you focus more on dosing like MDD or more side effect/bbw for safety (i'm assuming SE/BBW but i wanted to make sure

Argon18, How did things turn out? I had nearly the exact same experience with the exam today.

How do I locate the SDN questions? Thanks!