Passed NAPLEX!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmadiazepine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed NAPLEX! Here to help anyone who needs advice! Here's what I did:

Time spent on studying for NAPLEX: 3 weeks including working 30 hours a week

Sources:
1) RxPrep Course Book and RxPrep Quiz Bank
2) APhA for ONLY Infectious Diseases and HIV
3) SDN 120 Calculations Packet - THE ONLY source you ever need for calculations for NAPLEX

I read RxPrep book twice and finally spent last few days reviewing topics I felt I needed more preparation with like infectious diseases, HIV, transplant/immunosuppression, hepatitis, and a few days before the test I reviewed the big boys again like diabetes, asthma, COPD, HTN, hyperlipidemia.

I did the SDN 120 questions calculations packet once during my 1st week, once during my 2nd week, and once during my 3rd week. It is important to really understand how to do mEq, mmol, and mOsm because I had all of them on my NAPLEX multiple times. I totally forgot how to do them when I was doing the SDN 120 questions calculations packet, so I got my old calculations book from school and refreshed up on it. If anyone needs help with it, ask, because its really simple if you know the right formulas.

The APhA book to me is a complete waste of money. It is unnecessary, it's too much, it's too detailed.. I'm glad I stopped reading it after the first chapter when I realized WTF am I doing reading this ish. The only time I used it was to review for infectious diseases and HIV. It helped with both those topics, and if you are weak in either ID or HIV (as I'm sure many people are), then APhA is good to review those two topics.

I did the Pre-NAPLEX once during my second week and scored a 108. This gave me a lot of confidence and made me ease up on my studying a bit.

I did not study at all the day before my exam and the weekend before my exam. You need time to relax and feel confident that you know your stuff. If you don't know it by now, after 4 or 6 years of school, I don't know when you'll ever know.

Took the NAPLEX and had a few questions from left field, a few on topics I didn't feel too comfortable with, and a bunch of questions where I was able to answer it in seconds. Barely looked at patient profiles..

Score: 130!

Any questions, just ask! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
SO relieved to hear people saying the APhA book is overkill, since I'm doing well on the practice questions. :xf:

Hi,

Congrats, I am writing exam this month end and deadline has come from board. So can you Plz let me know any tips and also one thing:
Do they ask in oncology,bilogicals brands or the generic forms?
Will the time be sufficient?
Dosages ?

Can you Plz let me know regarding them because I'm a long time ago graduate with kids.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Congrats, I am writing exam first time this month end and deadline has come from board. So can you Plz let me know any tips and also one thing:
Do they ask in oncology,bilogicals brands or the generic forms?
Will the time be sufficient?
Dosages ?

Can you Plz let me know regarding them. I am not a recent graduate.

Thank you

Hey all! You've all talked so highly of Rxprep and I have the APhA book that like most of you, want to throw out the window. With that, does anyone have a recent copy of Rxprep they'd care to sell a fourth year graduating in 17 days?! It would be much appreciated!

Well, went through both NAPLEX/MPJE last week, MPJE was easier for sure, but NAPLEX... was NOT fun. I had 40+ calculations, and the computer threw me 6 of them in a row during last 15 min, oh GOD... other questions covered every where, I was nervous and even missed some easy ones, please pray for me, I will get the result next week, anxious!!!!

anyone recommend the rxprep question bank over the book? i've been studying from the book for the past week and a half and i am almost done going through all of the chapters except the calculations. should i buy the question bank too?

anyone recommend the rxprep question bank over the book? i've been studying from the book for the past week and a half and i am almost done going through all of the chapters except the calculations. should i buy the question bank too?
The question bank is purely good for getting familiar with the whole exam format system. It will help to just keep you used to answering the different types of question formats out there. That being said, FOCUS ON THE MATH!! I didn't bother with any of those books. I just bought that pharmacy charts booklet thing from ebay that you might have seen some folks on here recommend. That's it. Get that 120 questions or the pronto pass math cards, study those. Kill the math section and you will be fine. All the other non math questions, if you've spent 4 or 6yrs in pharmacy school, I think you should be able to go by them. Just.. fucus... on.. math. Seriously.

The question bank is purely good for getting familiar with the whole exam format system. It will help to just keep you used to answering the different types of question formats out there. That being said, FOCUS ON THE MATH!! I didn't bother with any of those books. I just bought that pharmacy charts booklet thing from ebay that you might have seen some folks on here recommend. That's it. Get that 120 questions or the pronto pass math cards, study those. Kill the math section and you will be fine. All the other non math questions, if you've spent 4 or 6yrs in pharmacy school, I think you should be able to go by them. Just.. fucus... on.. math. Seriously.

awesome. thanks for the input, i've been hearing similar things from everyone. i haven't even touched math yet so i am about to start now. :)

Please, which of these study materials is better for naplex review, Lange q&a or rxprep quizbank? I have APHA and rxprep review books and am studyinfg from both but i still need a question&answer to helpme with revision before taking my exam in the next 3weeks.

:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Found out I passed the NAPLEX!!

Thank you so so so much everyone on here for sharing with me your experience, advice, tips, sample practice problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took in all of your advice and passed with a better score than I expected.

Pre-NAPLEX: 103
NAPLEX: 113

How I studied:

1. I used my friend's old Kaplan book that she bought summer 2010. I like this because it has the fewest number of pages compared to RXPrep and APhA ( I didn't care for the details, no thanks). Someone wise on here once said, "the NAPLEX is all about being the jack of all trades and master of none." Something like that and that is absolutely true.

2. I used RXPrep for reference when I felt that Kaplan material was not providing me enough info.

3. Since I got APhA book for free (not really cuz I paid for membership) I used that to study calculation and did the end of the chapter review questions. Then I quickly sold it bc I couldn't stand having it in my room. Hopefully, somebody else finds it useful, I didn't. Well, on second thought...APhA book was somewhat useful bc I used the end of the chapter review questions. I like that it has full explanations to the questions unlike RXPrep. Kaplan has end of chapter review questions but too few.

4. After going thru Kaplan review book once I went thru APhA and RXPrep to do end of the chapter questions.

5. After that I practiced questions from Lange Q&A. I highly recommend this awesome book. Which I am going to sell this weekend.
- I did not do all the problems in the Lange Q&A:
- I only did all questions in Pharmacology, half of Pharmaceutical Care, and half of the Patient Profiles.

6. For biostats: I studied what I felt was important RR, RRR, ARR, NNT, p-value, CI, etc. I have this really easy to learn pdf on biostats if anyone needs it. I basically googled out biostats, nothing in the 3 books really helped me. And I didn't feel like digging up my old biostat notes from pharm school.

7. For math: I practiced the 120 questions that you guys posted on here twice and felt comfortable tackling the math problems on the real NAPLEX

8. 2 days before the exam: I practiced the full-length practice test in Kaplan book

9. On the day before the exam, I review the top 200 in the morning, practiced the last half of my calculation problems, briefly went over biostats, and re-read some explanations in Lange Q&A.

In hindsight, I think I over prepared but I don't regret it one bit cuz it's better to be over prepared than having to take the exam again.

I'd say it took me 3 weeks to study. However, I didn't get serious until the last two weeks. There were a few days I didn't study at all due to nice weather, hehe. To me it's the quality of studying not quantity. And then there were days I'd put in 10 hours. I have friends who studied in 2 weeks and passed. I also know someone who did not complete the entire 185 question and still passed. Hope this eases some anxiety out there.

Anyway, yayy! I am stoked.

Thank you so much ro all of you who was willing to share with us! This is such a great community! Feel free to ask me any questions.

OMG, this is such an amazing feeling.

Cheers!
I would love and appreciate it if you can fwd me those biostat notes. My email is [email protected]. Thank you!!:)

Got my scores today, and here is my info:

Prenaplex 2 weeks before: 75
Prenaplex 1 week before: 100
NAPLEX: 111
My feelings after my exam: omg I failed. I probably guessed on about 60 questions, narrowed it down to 2 on about another 60, and the rest were split between calculations (most of them were okay, but didn't get a lot of them too) and questions I knew for sure.

1. Hate the APhA book so much - I feel like that book is what really stressed me out.
2. I bought the Rxprep and question bank to study - and only studied with these 2 things.
3. I studied from June 10th-July 12 (took the NAPLEX on July 14), about a month - moved in the middle, went on vacation for 3 days, and came back from out of the country within that first week.
4. When I had about 30 minutes left, I was on question 160, and I was bombarded with calculations after calculations. I freaked out when I couldn't solve something in under a minute (I thought the rest would be calculations). It would've been nice to have 45 minutes for these last 20-30 questions (just in case a lot of them are calculations).
5. I didn't read the patient profiles too much, except if the question referred to it. I did look at patient allergies and the pharmacist notes on the bottom though.
6. 2 days before I was burnt out - I couldn't even look at the rxprep book.
7. I thought the exam was really random, so not much help there.
8. Oh and I don't think the prenaplex is worth it. If you take it and get a good score, at least you'll feel confident. But then you could also get a low/borderline score like I did and freak out and spend another $50 to take it again just to calm your nerves.

Thanks so much for all the support on this page. It's just nice to know that others are going through the same ordeal :). Good luck, and you WILL pass!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys failed the Naplex by 3 freaking points.. Should I buy the Rxprep question bank and take the PreNaplex? Need help!!!!!:scared:

Hi everyone, I just received my results today and I passed NAPLEX with a 126!!

I am overjoyed! I am grateful to all the advice given here on studentdoctor so I wanted to give back, and hopefully readers can gain from my experience.

CumGPA/ProGPA: 3.80/3.93, graduated Summa Cum Laude.
Waited on taking the NAPLEX until now (August) due to many work hours, family vacation, etc.

How I studied:
RxPrep Book and online lectures, RxPrep Quiz Bank - These materials were provided to me by my employer. I feel these are the gold standard, Very conducive to learning, hone in on key points to do well on the exam and to become a good pharmacist. I listened to the lectures, although they do take up quite some time, because it's personally always been more effective to hear and read simultaneously. Though, I still perused the book on my own. RxPrep was a blessing.
120 SDN calculations - The RxPrep calculations are a great for a solid foundation on the basics, and the SDN set of calculations was great for practice. I struggled through this packet since I am slower at math but I did it enough times to understand and be efficient on these types of problems. Thanks to this forum, I knew that I had to strengthen my math.
Time: 2 weeks, any time before that was casual studying/reading, and mostly looking through the RxPrep Quiz Bank and reading the explanations.

Now my feelings regarding the preparation and the actual exam...what worked, and what I would have done differently.

DO's and DONT's
DO know key safety information, such as contraindications, warnings, monitoring parameters. (NAPLEX focuses on patient safety).
DO focus on the particular drugs that have many safety issues (the more toxic drugs, and their management)
DO focus on pharmacist-managed drugs and disease states
DO pay attention to drug formulations (What route of administration drugs are available in)
DO know counseling points
DO know major drug interactions
DO the RxPrep end-of-chapter questions and quiz bank as much as you can
DO know that you will get questions from left field that you will have no idea how to answer, DON'T give up on the question, eliminate answers and take an educated guess.
DO check your work, both therapeutics and math questions.

DON'T Rush through the exam, there is more than enough time, I left with 45 minutes - 1 hour to spare but afterwards, I felt strange and had mixed feelings. I am usually very thorough in test-taking but felt I missed easy questions because I wasn't thorough enough (Remember, you cannot go back so give the question everything you've got). Be thorough, look carefully at the cases. I was trying to go fast because I was afraid of the penalty of failing to finish within the time frame, but I would have gotten answers correct had I not moved on too quickly. PACE yourselves accordingly per question, you are given a timer, see whether you need to speed up or slow down.
DON'T panic, perhaps the reason I finished quickly was because I did so many practice questions and was very accustomed to answering questions. Still, approach each question with great care, you are a pharmacist.

Take care everyone, and the best of luck and wishes to all of you. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank u man, I just took the test and was worried that leaving almost an hour early may be a bad sign, I had mixed feelings as well, keeping my fingers crossed...

I have my naplex scheduled in a little over two weeks and am in total freak out mode. could you tell me if you had a lot of infectious disease questions on yours? i'm trying to decide where i need to focus most of my attention so that i can cover as many topics/questions as possible. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

what about kaplan book

I passed NAPLEX! Here to help anyone who needs advice! Here's what I did:

Time spent on studying for NAPLEX: 3 weeks including working 30 hours a week

Sources:
1) RxPrep Course Book and RxPrep Quiz Bank
2) APhA for ONLY Infectious Diseases and HIV
3) SDN 120 Calculations Packet - THE ONLY source you ever need for calculations for NAPLEX

I read RxPrep book twice and finally spent last few days reviewing topics I felt I needed more preparation with like infectious diseases, HIV, transplant/immunosuppression, hepatitis, and a few days before the test I reviewed the big boys again like diabetes, asthma, COPD, HTN, hyperlipidemia.

I did the SDN 120 questions calculations packet once during my 1st week, once during my 2nd week, and once during my 3rd week. It is important to really understand how to do mEq, mmol, and mOsm because I had all of them on my NAPLEX multiple times. I totally forgot how to do them when I was doing the SDN 120 questions calculations packet, so I got my old calculations book from school and refreshed up on it. If anyone needs help with it, ask, because its really simple if you know the right formulas.

The APhA book to me is a complete waste of money. It is unnecessary, it's too much, it's too detailed.. I'm glad I stopped reading it after the first chapter when I realized WTF am I doing reading this ish. The only time I used it was to review for infectious diseases and HIV. It helped with both those topics, and if you are weak in either ID or HIV (as I'm sure many people are), then APhA is good to review those two topics.

I did the Pre-NAPLEX once during my second week and scored a 108. This gave me a lot of confidence and made me ease up on my studying a bit.

I did not study at all the day before my exam and the weekend before my exam. You need time to relax and feel confident that you know your stuff. If you don't know it by now, after 4 or 6 years of school, I don't know when you'll ever know.

Took the NAPLEX and had a few questions from left field, a few on topics I didn't feel too comfortable with, and a bunch of questions where I was able to answer it in seconds. Barely looked at patient profiles..

Score: 130!

Any questions, just ask! Good luck!

If anyone is willing to sell their rxprep 2013, please pm msg me. I really would like a copy but not sure if i can afford the new book price. and Congrats to those who pass!

Got my scores today, and here is my info:

Prenaplex 2 weeks before: 75
Prenaplex 1 week before: 100
NAPLEX: 111
My feelings after my exam: omg I failed. I probably guessed on about 60 questions, narrowed it down to 2 on about another 60, and the rest were split between calculations (most of them were okay, but didn't get a lot of them too) and questions I knew for sure.

1. Hate the APhA book so much - I feel like that book is what really stressed me out.
2. I bought the Rxprep and question bank to study - and only studied with these 2 things.
3. I studied from June 10th-July 12 (took the NAPLEX on July 14), about a month - moved in the middle, went on vacation for 3 days, and came back from out of the country within that first week.
4. When I had about 30 minutes left, I was on question 160, and I was bombarded with calculations after calculations. I freaked out when I couldn't solve something in under a minute (I thought the rest would be calculations). It would've been nice to have 45 minutes for these last 20-30 questions (just in case a lot of them are calculations).
5. I didn't read the patient profiles too much, except if the question referred to it. I did look at patient allergies and the pharmacist notes on the bottom though.
6. 2 days before I was burnt out - I couldn't even look at the rxprep book.
7. I thought the exam was really random, so not much help there.
8. Oh and I don't think the prenaplex is worth it. If you take it and get a good score, at least you'll feel confident. But then you could also get a low/borderline score like I did and freak out and spend another $50 to take it again just to calm your nerves.

Thanks so much for all the support on this page. It's just nice to know that others are going through the same ordeal :). Good luck, and you WILL pass!!
your commment has helped me a lot. thank you now i know I am not the only one whom feels scared.
gluck

your comment has helped me alot and wanted to thank you for the detail answer. I am going to take my naplax next week and very scared but after reading this I realized I feel the way you did before taking the exam.

your comment has helped me alot and wanted to thank you for the detail answer. I am going to take my naplax next week and very scared but after reading this I realized I feel the way you did before taking the exam.
!! Hey good luck with your exam :) u will definetly do great and pass the exam. I'm also taking my exam soon after you. Scared too soo much left, needed to be complete. can I ask you a favor can u plzz tell me about ur exam once ur done?? I will be soooo greatful n a millions thanks . waiting ur reply anxiously .

Where can I get RxPrep quiz bank? Is it something you get online or does it come as a book?
Are there any other quiz/question banks besides RxPRep?

Also, how did you guys study for the law part? Class notes?

Thanks and Congrats to you all! :)

You asked, I help:
RxPrep quiz is online. As of 2014, you have 2700 questions and detailed answers, and a timer, the score will tell percent you did well. The score is a good tool because we save time when we want to find out right away how well we learned the chapter.

I found you the link to save your time from looking so you can study more:
http://www.rxprep.com/store/products/58

Also, the beauty of this quiz over other quizzes is: you get to practice the experience of COMPUTERIZED TEST. Most schools we heard of only tested us on paper and Scantron during school tests. For those that took tests on paper and Physically Crossed out the wrong keyword in the Multiple Choice Answers, you will struggle during COMPUTERIZED TEST because You Can Not Cross Out anything on the computer screen. You will panic. So, this is the chance to RE-CONDITION your brain and test taking skill.
Imagine this: "You may have the knowledge but without the practice, boxing fight is going to be harder than it should."
My pharmacist friends shared with me that and I share with you. Please help others, thank you very much in advance.

I received a score in the triple digits, and I want to ease the minds of anyone studying currently.

-I was an average student with below-average motivation at times during didactic courses, but very attentive during rotations and I worked retail throughout school
-I studied from RxPrep for a while but didn't get serious until 3 weeks prior to the test, and purchased the quiz banks 2 weeks prior for practice
-I studied many hours a day, writing summarized notes on sections and studying that, but realized I was running out of time once I got through the HIV section
-I did not take the Pre-Naplex, but my RxPrep quizzes ranged from very low scores of 30-50% and up to 90% after reading the chapters one time. I did about half the quiz bank

I did not finish the RxPrep book. Once I realized I was taking too long summarizing chapters, I began summarizing the big disease state chapters such as HTN, DLD, and DM, then I read over other big names like heart failure, osteoporosis, RA/OA, etc. After that I skimmed what I could, and felt that getting the "gist" of a chapter and drugs for these diseases was enough for what I saw of them on the exam. I spent a long time learning HIV and ID but got very few and simple questions on that. Throughout my studies, I would review the math in RxPrep and the 120 SDN questions, focusing on speed an accuracy. I went through both twice, and timed myself and checked my accuracy on the second round. I felt this was the most important thing to focus on and I believe my test supported this.

The night before the exam, I got a good night's rest and that morning I had a big breakfast and some coffee. I woke up with enough time to hit on the big points such as drug interactions and brand names. When I got to the testing site I was a bit nervous but knew that the exam was not an impossible feat and most people passed the first time, so I was pretty calm taking the test. I knew how to do every math question on the exam, but still checked each answer multiple times in different ways to ensure I got the points I knew I could get. Therapeutics asked some questions I knew before I started studying, some questions I knew specifically from studying, and some I probably could have studied more and got the answer. There were a few I knew or really should have known but during the heat of the moment I just messed up on. I took the 10 minute break half way through and didn't feel the questions "amped up" on the second half, and in fact my exam ended with very simple therapeutics questions and a few tougher math problems. I paced myself well and ended with 15 minutes to spare. Afterwards, I felt I should have done well enough to pass, because although I guessed completely or partly on many, there were still a lot I knew outright and I was confident on every math question. Of course, this worried me as I have been reading that feeling like you failed is the key to success!

After my experience with the exam I can't be sure if our interpretation of the CAT system is completely accurate. For one, I received a simple math question type about 3 times, once back-to-back with almost nothing in the question changed. This made me very worried, so each time I received that question type I did it over and over different ways. There is no way I did it wrong, and the multiple choice selection was right there both times. I wouldn't let the CAT system get to you much, it's probably not perfect and worrying about it will only slow you down.

Exam Taking Tips:
-Stay calm and pace yourself. I shot for 45 questions in the first hour, and if there was a question I wasn't sure on I went with what seemed most likely and went on
-Don't look at the cases unless the question specifically references the case. Many "case" questions might as well be standalone questions. If a question DOES reference the patient or the case, make sure you look at everything on the chart at least once so you don't miss a crucial lab value or note.
-Double or even triple check your math, and make sure you have the SAME UNITS and DECIMAL PLACES as the question states. This is likely where many can lose easy points.

Study Tips:
-TAKE BREAKS! Don't study for 5 hours straight. Study for 45-60min, take a 10-15 minute break, and repeat
-STUDY ACTIVELY! I rewrote and simplified notes and highlighted when I went over again. Some people like flash cards, others read aloud or have study partners. You can also take quizzes to test yourself, the RxPrep bank is good for this. Quizlet has some good brand/generic name flash cards which I used and found helpful.
-Focus on math (including biostats) first and review it every couple days to stay sharp on all equations and methods
-Focus on the big disease states we see all the time: DM, HTN, DLD, HF, etc, as well as Drug-Drug Interactions (esp. big drugs and PSPORCS & GPACMAN), Drugs in Pregnancy, Immunizations, and Natural Products. Essentially, study for the things you'll most likely see in practice, then branch out and review frequently.
-For each disease state chapter, I feel the hierarchy of importance would be:
1) Brand/Generic Names (including combinations!) - I used online flashcards and focused on bolded drugs in RxPrep, and unbolded ones I had seen a few times prior
2) Drug Classes
3) Indications/Contraindications
4) Standout SE's and BBW's
5) Standout DDI (especially big ones like amiodarone, phenytoin, lithium, digoxin, NSAIDS, etc - Rxprep has an excellent chapter for this)
6) Counseling
7) MoA
8) Pathology of Disease
9) Pearls

A lot of questions will be referencing drugs by brand name, class, or indication, so without knowing this you can't begin answering questions. From there the focus is mostly safety and counseling with some therapeutic decisions. This is reflected in the test blueprint posted by NABP.

For math, you really need to practice a lot. I felt RxPrep's quiz bank offered a great deal of math and biostats practice questions to supplement the book and the 120 questions. There were a few techniques and tricks I picked up on when practicing, and I'll share that here:
1) Rxprep's equations for MEq and MOsm were either wrong or unsimplified. For simplicity of memorization and application:

mmol = mg/MW
MEq = mmol x valence
MOsm = mmol x particles

These problems get complicated when you're asked for the mmol or MEq of a component within a compound. SDN question #26 and #82-84 help to clarify this.

2) Learn and use dimensional analysis. This helps you make sure you are in the correct units and provides a very simple way for you to check your work. It's not always the best technique for every problem, but in many it makes sure you are getting the correct answer.

3) Read the question FIRST and ensure your final units match the question's. Before starting the problem, I drew a line and put the final units for the question afterward ( ______mg/mL) and put either "WHOLE" or "0.0x" or "o.x" afterward to ensure I was answering the question with a whole number, to the nearest hundredth, or nearest tenth, etc. Make sure you're rounding correctly!

4) Learn some shortcuts. For me one of the biggest time savers was realizing 1% = 10mg/mL, and vice versa. Especially for drip rate questions, being able to go from % to mL and back quickly is very helpful (or at least much more helpful than 1% = 1g/100mL). This is also great for alligations, where you can convert, say, 150mg/10mL --> 15mg/mL --> 1.5% in seconds and set up your problem quickly.

5) For all dilutions, either with a straight diluent or a lesser concentrated solution, use alligation. This will give you more practice for the more complicated alligation problems and I find I prefer doing this to c1 x v1 = c2 x v2 for straight dilution. RxPrep shows a great way to do these kinds of problems, and the 120 q's have many good practice problems for alligation. I particularly like #78.

6) Memorize all the equations in RxPrep save for the massive BEE equations. If you have the 2013 version, I understand the 2014 version has more PK such as VD and clearance. You definitely want to know your half-life equation and understand half life, and to be safe, learning VD, Clearance, Ke, and AUC is simple as they all interwork.

7) Study Bio-statistics. I thought I knew the equations and found the RxPrep quiz bank sets on this topic to be a good wake-up call and really solidified these concepts for me

8) Double (Triple?!) Check! Don't let these points pass you by. Barring mistakes, these are the most certain and heaviest points you can get on the exam. There are only so many ways these questions can be asked, and some are fill-in-the-blank. Do NOT mess these up.

Overall, I think this test is exaggerated many times over for what it is. I think most people could make a passing score with a few days of math review, but of course the stakes are high and it's not worth the risk of retaking. If you have the time anyway, study what you can with your goal of being a better pharmacist for your intended practice setting. If you study like that and brush up on your math, there's no reason to stress too much over the NAPLEX. I know I didn't believe it before, but those that said it wasn't so bad were right. If you know the math, you're going to know some of the other questions just from school, rotations, or work. You can bridge the gap with RxPrep, and at least for the math practice the quiz bank is very helpful, while the other quizzes make sure you're at least retaining some therapeutics info.

Good luck to those still studying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I'm a pharmacist who has been out of practice for over 5 yrs and will need to sit for naplex and WA MPJE.
Will I also need to take the compounding exam again? Does anyone know?

I received a score in the triple digits, and I want to ease the minds of anyone studying currently.

-I was an average student with below-average motivation at times during didactic courses, but very attentive during rotations and I worked retail throughout school
-I studied from RxPrep for a while but didn't get serious until 3 weeks prior to the test, and purchased the quiz banks 2 weeks prior for practice
-I studied many hours a day, writing summarized notes on sections and studying that, but realized I was running out of time once I got through the HIV section
-I did not take the Pre-Naplex, but my RxPrep quizzes ranged from very low scores of 30-50% and up to 90% after reading the chapters one time. I did about half the quiz bank

I did not finish the RxPrep book. Once I realized I was taking too long summarizing chapters, I began summarizing the big disease state chapters such as HTN, DLD, and DM, then I read over other big names like heart failure, osteoporosis, RA/OA, etc. After that I skimmed what I could, and felt that getting the "gist" of a chapter and drugs for these diseases was enough for what I saw of them on the exam. I spent a long time learning HIV and ID but got very few and simple questions on that. Throughout my studies, I would review the math in RxPrep and the 120 SDN questions, focusing on speed an accuracy. I went through both twice, and timed myself and checked my accuracy on the second round. I felt this was the most important thing to focus on and I believe my test supported this.

The night before the exam, I got a good night's rest and that morning I had a big breakfast and some coffee. I woke up with enough time to hit on the big points such as drug interactions and brand names. When I got to the testing site I was a bit nervous but knew that the exam was not an impossible feat and most people passed the first time, so I was pretty calm taking the test. I knew how to do every math question on the exam, but still checked each answer multiple times in different ways to ensure I got the points I knew I could get. Therapeutics asked some questions I knew before I started studying, some questions I knew specifically from studying, and some I probably could have studied more and got the answer. There were a few I knew or really should have known but during the heat of the moment I just messed up on. I took the 10 minute break half way through and didn't feel the questions "amped up" on the second half, and in fact my exam ended with very simple therapeutics questions and a few tougher math problems. I paced myself well and ended with 15 minutes to spare. Afterwards, I felt I should have done well enough to pass, because although I guessed completely or partly on many, there were still a lot I knew outright and I was confident on every math question. Of course, this worried me as I have been reading that feeling like you failed is the key to success!

After my experience with the exam I can't be sure if our interpretation of the CAT system is completely accurate. For one, I received a simple math question type about 3 times, once back-to-back with almost nothing in the question changed. This made me very worried, so each time I received that question type I did it over and over different ways. There is no way I did it wrong, and the multiple choice selection was right there both times. I wouldn't let the CAT system get to you much, it's probably not perfect and worrying about it will only slow you down.

Exam Taking Tips:
-Stay calm and pace yourself. I shot for 45 questions in the first hour, and if there was a question I wasn't sure on I went with what seemed most likely and went on
-Don't look at the cases unless the question specifically references the case. Many "case" questions might as well be standalone questions. If a question DOES reference the patient or the case, make sure you look at everything on the chart at least once so you don't miss a crucial lab value or note.
-Double or even triple check your math, and make sure you have the SAME UNITS and DECIMAL PLACES as the question states. This is likely where many can lose easy points.

Study Tips:
-TAKE BREAKS! Don't study for 5 hours straight. Study for 45-60min, take a 10-15 minute break, and repeat
-STUDY ACTIVELY! I rewrote and simplified notes and highlighted when I went over again. Some people like flash cards, others read aloud or have study partners. You can also take quizzes to test yourself, the RxPrep bank is good for this. Quizlet has some good brand/generic name flash cards which I used and found helpful.
-Focus on math (including biostats) first and review it every couple days to stay sharp on all equations and methods
-Focus on the big disease states we see all the time: DM, HTN, DLD, HF, etc, as well as Drug-Drug Interactions (esp. big drugs and PSPORCS & GPACMAN), Drugs in Pregnancy, Immunizations, and Natural Products. Essentially, study for the things you'll most likely see in practice, then branch out and review frequently.
1) Brand/Generic Names (including combinations!) - I used online flashcards and focused on bolded drugs in RxPrep, and unbolded ones I had seen a few times prior
2) Drug Classes
5) Standout DDI (especially big ones like amiodarone, phenytoin, lithium, digoxin, NSAIDS, etc - Rxprep has an excellent chapter for this)
6) Counseling
7) MoA
8) Pathology of Disease
9) Pearls

A lot of questions will be referencing drugs by brand name, class, or indication, so without knowing this you can't begin answering questions. From there the focus is mostly safety and counseling with some therapeutic decisions. This is reflected in the test blueprint posted by NABP.

For math, you really need to practice a lot. I felt RxPrep's quiz bank offered a great deal of math and biostats practice questions to supplement the book and the 120 questions. There were a few techniques and tricks I picked up on when practicing, and I'll share that here:
1) Rxprep's equations for MEq and MOsm were either wrong or unsimplified. For simplicity of memorization and application:

mmol = mg/MW
MEq = mmol x valence
MOsm = mmol x particles

These problems get complicated when you're asked for the mmol or MEq of a component within a compound. SDN question #26 and #82-84 help to clarify this.

2) Learn and use dimensional analysis. This helps you make sure you are in the correct units and provides a very simple way for you to check your work. It's not always the best technique for every problem, but in many it makes sure you are getting the correct answer.

3) Read the question FIRST and ensure your final units match the question's. Before starting the problem, I drew a line and put the final units for the question afterward ( ______mg/mL) and put either "WHOLE" or "0.0x" or "o.x" afterward to ensure I was answering the question with a whole number, to the nearest hundredth, or nearest tenth, etc. Make sure you're rounding correctly!

4) Learn some shortcuts. For me one of the biggest time savers was realizing 1% = 10mg/mL, and vice versa. Especially for drip rate questions, being able to go from % to mL and back quickly is very helpful (or at least much more helpful than 1% = 1g/100mL). This is also great for alligations, where you can convert, say, 150mg/10mL --> 15mg/mL --> 1.5% in seconds and set up your problem quickly.

5) For all dilutions, either with a straight diluent or a lesser concentrated solution, use alligation. This will give you more practice for the more complicated alligation problems and I find I prefer doing this to c1 x v1 = c2 x v2 for straight dilution. RxPrep shows a great way to do these kinds of problems, and the 120 q's have many good practice problems for alligation. I particularly like #78.

6) Memorize all the equations in RxPrep save for the massive BEE equations. If you have the 2013 version, I understand the 2014 version has more PK such as VD and clearance. You definitely want to know your half-life equation and understand half life, and to be safe, learning VD, Clearance, Ke, and AUC is simple as they all interwork.

7) Study Bio-statistics. I thought I knew the equations and found the RxPrep quiz bank sets on this topic to be a good wake-up call and really solidified these concepts for me

8) Double (Triple?!) Check! Don't let these points pass you by. Barring mistakes, these are the most certain and heaviest points you can get on the exam. There are only so many ways these questions can be asked, and some are fill-in-the-blank. Do NOT mess these up.

Overall, I think this test is exaggerated many times over for what it is. I think most people could make a passing score with a few days of math review, but of course the stakes are high and it's not worth the risk of retaking. If you have the time anyway, study what you can with your goal of being a better pharmacist for your intended practice setting. If you study like that and brush up on your math, there's no reason to stress too much over the NAPLEX. I know I didn't believe it before, but those that said it wasn't so bad were right. If you know the math, you're going to know some of the other questions just from school, rotations, or work. You can bridge the gap with RxPrep, and at least for the math practice the quiz bank is very helpful, while the other quizzes make sure you're at least retaining some therapeutics info.

congrats on the great score on NAPLEX !! excellent post !!! :)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Plink- Thank you for the thorough post, it really helps.
I have a more specific question for anyone who has taken the NAPLEX in 2014- I am taking it soon and I am wondering how many "select all that apply" questions were on the test. I have done the RxPrep quiz banks and it seems that they are the majority of the questions. Is this true for the NAPLEX as well? Thanks!

Plink- Thank you for the thorough post, it really helps.
I have a more specific question for anyone who has taken the NAPLEX in 2014- I am taking it soon and I am wondering how many "select all that apply" questions were on the test. I have done the RxPrep quiz banks and it seems that they are the majority of the questions. Is this true for the NAPLEX as well? Thanks!

One of my classmates just took it last week and she said it was a ton of select all!

@molyhelp thanks for your long summary. Did you get asked a lot of "select all that apply" questions? Thanks!
Sorry, did not take NAPLEX in 2014 so I don't have that information.
The long summary was posted by poster with name Plink and greatly appreciated by me. Others who took NAPLEX in 2014 please share? Thank you.

Exam Taking Tips:

Study Tips:
2) Drug Classes
6) Counseling
7) MoA
8) Pathology of Disease
9) Pearls

mmol = mg/MW
MEq = mmol x valence
MOsm = mmol x particles

Thank you for your advice, where can I get SDN NAPLEX PRACTICE CALCULATIONS!!!
In your post you mentioned something about SDN calculations
~ Your help is greatly appreciated !!!

Exam Taking Tips:

Study Tips:
2) Drug Classes
6) Counseling
7) MoA
8) Pathology of Disease
9) Pearls

mmol = mg/MW
MEq = mmol x valence
MOsm = mmol x particles

Thank you for your advice, where can I get SDN NAPLEX PRACTICE CALCULATIONS!!!
In your post you mentioned something about SDN calculations
~ Your help is greatly appreciated !!!

File with Questions and Explained Answers is included right below this line.

Good luck and please come back to help others after you pass the exam. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• 120 Math Questions with Answers from Student Doctor Network dot org, very helpful for NAPLEX.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 188
File with Questions and Explained Answers is included right below this line.

Good luck and please come back to help others after you pass the exam. Thank you very much in advance.

Thanks for helping others !! :thumbup::thumbup:

What are people's thoughts on knowing Brand/Generic names? This part makes me a little worried because RXprep quiz bank refers to it a lot. I'm not strong in this area at all. Right now, just trying to review the major disease states and drug tables in each chapter and the bold/underlined drug names associated with it. Taking the exam T-minus 6 days!

How similar are the Rxprep quiz bank questions to real NAPLEX questions? Are they about the same level of difficulty?

Do we have to take mpje immideately after passing naplex??is it necessary??

Thanks nd gud luck in advance!!!