Passed NJ MPJE...advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmd2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Used Cifaldi's book but seemed pretty disorganized to me esp for NJ law. A lot of times he wanted you to refer to a previous statute which was like 10 pages back and you had to read over again. I would just download the NJ Statutes and Regulations online and read the Guide to Federal Law book by Reiss. I also bought pronto pass which is a waste of money.

Some topics on my exam (NOTE: not posting ACTUAL questions, just general topics):
-What is and isn't a controlled substance
-Read the Controlled Substance Act thoroughly and know that state law supersedes federal law so if there is a conflict of interest, follow state law
-Rules for writing and receiving prescriptions
-Counseling
-Plan B and Sudafed acts (everything on both of them, read and read carefully)
-Faxing, electronic Rxs, what you need what you don't need on it
-Labeling (Rx and OTC)

I would say about 10% of the exam was straightforward black and white but everything else seemed to be in the grey area. If you work retail or hospital do not apply whatever you do there to the exam because chances are you will be wrong. You HAVE TO READ the questions carefully because they will try to trick you every chance they get.

Most of the questions were situational. They won't ask you how many days is an Rx for _____ valid for. Instead they'll give you a question with the person bringing the Rx in saying he/she has Rx for this drug and introduce other variables making it more difficult to answer.

Some of the questions came from nowhere. Even after the exam when I did a google search there was nothing. There were obscure brand names that I couldn't recognize. Regardless of how much you study, there will be questions like that so don't be surprised and don't panic.

Almost everyone thinks they failed. I personally felt like someone just hit me with a brick...but I passed.

Just remember: READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY and Good luck! Hope this was useful.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, congrats on passing!!

I just found I passed too yesterday. so now I'm done with all the licensure requirements but I'm not sure what needs to be done next to get my license. I don't see information on the website about obtaining the actual initial license after finishing the requirements and I know there's another fee that needs to be sent in for it so I'm assuming the board will be mailing the information to me but just wanted to verify. Do you know if we need to do anything ourselves or do we just wait for the board to send the authorization to practice and license info?

which prontopass is useless? the nj packet or the federal cards? of course ive been studying both.

read the BOP statutes packet 3 times.

test is friday

now ive lost confidence...crap

i just took mine...im not even gonna pretend to think i passed.

im extremely angry/bothered by the amount of questions i had that were in no way covered in the documents on the BOP site.

multiple questions regarding first aid kits...seriously? wtf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Used Cifaldi's book but seemed pretty disorganized to me esp for NJ law. A lot of times he wanted you to refer to a previous statute which was like 10 pages back and you had to read over again. I would just download the NJ Statutes and Regulations online and read the Guide to Federal Law book by Reiss. I also bought pronto pass which is a waste of money.

Some topics on my exam (NOTE: not posting ACTUAL questions, just general topics):
-What is and isn't a controlled substance
-Read the Controlled Substance Act thoroughly and know that state law supersedes federal law so if there is a conflict of interest, follow state law
-Rules for writing and receiving prescriptions
-Counseling
-Plan B and Sudafed acts (everything on both of them, read and read carefully)
-Faxing, electronic Rxs, what you need what you don't need on it
-Labeling (Rx and OTC)

I would say about 10% of the exam was straightforward black and white but everything else seemed to be in the grey area. If you work retail or hospital do not apply whatever you do there to the exam because chances are you will be wrong. You HAVE TO READ the questions carefully because they will try to trick you every chance they get.

Most of the questions were situational. They won't ask you how many days is an Rx for _____ valid for. Instead they'll give you a question with the person bringing the Rx in saying he/she has Rx for this drug and introduce other variables making it more difficult to answer.

Some of the questions came from nowhere. Even after the exam when I did a google search there was nothing. There were obscure brand names that I couldn't recognize. Regardless of how much you study, there will be questions like that so don't be surprised and don't panic.

Almost everyone thinks they failed. I personally felt like someone just hit me with a brick...but I passed.

Just remember: READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY and Good luck! Hope this was useful.

How long did it take for you to get your license number after getting your MPJE score? I took my MPJE on august 13 and found out I passed on august 18th but I still haven't received my license number...im getting worried because my friends who took the exam the same day as me, or even a week later, have all already received their license numbers. I paid all of the fee's too. Today I called the board and spoke with a lady who said that I completed everything on my end they are just waiting for approval from some executive? Idk what the lady was talking about I couldn't really understand her...

How long did it take for you to get your license number after getting your MPJE score? I took my MPJE on august 13 and found out I passed on august 18th but I still haven't received my license number...im getting worried because my friends who took the exam the same day as me, or even a week later, have all already received their license numbers. I paid all of the fee's too. Today I called the board and spoke with a lady who said that I completed everything on my end they are just waiting for approval from some executive? Idk what the lady was talking about I couldn't really understand her...

ouch...i just found out i passed today. now i have to wait for the next set of stupid forms...

i hope it doesnt take that long.

yea i haven't received any word yet either, i keep checking the website every day but it still says pending. I heard it's 7-10 business days so about 2 weeks? I just submitted my $70 initial registration fee this Sat.

7-10 business days for what? to get your score?

i took my naplex on friday had score on wednesday.
took mpje friday had score 10 am tuesday morning.

you can check the nabp database through their website.

im just waiting on the letter so i can send the money and actually have a license, allowing me to get a temporary in the state i have a job in. pain in the butt.

No to get your NJ Rph license after everything is all said and done. I still didn't get my MPJE score via e-mail like everyone else did I had to look it up via the NABP website to know that I passed which makes me wonder what if I lived in a state that didn't allow you to look it up. Anyway, still waiting on my license. 5 business days and counting.

i got a letter on friday saying if i hadnt sent in my $70 fee to send it in so i did...

now im playing the waiting game too.

i sent my fee in last tuesday and they sent it back to me Saturday with a post it note saying they already received the other check. Since it was the weekend and Monday was a holiday I had to wait till today to call. I told them I never sent another check in because all this time I've been trying to figure out when to send in the check and since I wasn't getting a response from them I just went ahead and sent it in last week. The lady told me to call back tomorrow and speak to this other person. So I guess I'm not gonna be getting my license this week either. :( I was also thinking about getting licensed in other states where I transferred my score but I still need to get verification of licensure from NJ first.

though if they thought they already had my check, i don't see why i haven't been licensed already.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's having problems. I know exactly who you are talking about. She's only available 4 days a week because I tried calling last week and she had the day off then as well (must be a pretty sweet schedule). I also e-mailed them which was pretty useless because no one responded after waiting over a week. So as of now, my hands are tied too.

awesome...i have to verify licensure with them too since im interviewing tomorrow morning for a promising job outside NJ.

luckily the new state gives a 90 day temporary.

i remailed the check on wednesday and it doesn't seem like they've deposited it yet because it hasn't shown up on my bank account. i really want to call and ask how much longer it will take to get licensed but i don't want to come off as impatient and annoy them plus i'll probably just get a generic answer like 7-10 business days. meanwhile, there are jobs that i wanted to apply to that have closing dates for this week.

i did end up calling and was told the checks get send to the fiscal dept which handles checks for all the boards thus it takes time for them to process it, usually about a week. then the application has to go to the executive director for review and after that they'll issue the license. i don't know long the review takes. i think i read somewhere that the online licensee directory has live updates so i'll be checking that daily so that I can at least find out my license number to put on job apps

so i'm taking it coming saturday! should i just study fed law from class notes and prontopass... what about the nj law, should i just study the material from nj bop site or buy the book u guys are referring to?