Passed the NAPLEX on 1st try. Here is my advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zo33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all prayer, relaxing and preparing to the best of your ability will play a big role in your performance. I studied about 3 months, 4-8 hrs a day & weekends off. Don’t take the exam if you are not ready. You will know when you’re ready b/c you’ll pretty much be tired of studying.

Secondly, talking to friends who took the exam already & hearing their experience helped a lot, too. It gave me a sense of what to expect and it really, really helped when similar questions showed up.

My next advice would be to study the PRONTOPASS while focusing on Brand / Generic, MOA, dosage forms (ex. Patches, SQ), classes and treatment for disease states. (I did only the PK math with the PRONTOPASS)

Also the APHA stuff is okay material to look over also for testing yourself (the CD), but PRONTOPASS was my focus.

I studied the 120 questions floating around this site and it really boosted my confidence. Math plays a major role in the exam and you should learn the concepts such as allegation, MEQ, ect. Note that basic statistics and PK is not on the 120 questions so study it from other resources for guaranteed success.

My score was a 94 and I felt so-so after I took the exam. I did not know what to expect, but I felt ok while waiting for my results because I know I did my best. To those of you reading this, study in a focused atmosphere like the library and give it your all b/c it will be over soon.

Believe in yourself b/c if you made it this far so you’re pretty smart already. Best wishes & happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the NAPLEX the exam you take after a year internship.?
In the UK, graduates have to have what is called a pre registration year working in Hospital, Community pharmacy, or industry and then take an exam we call the Pre Reg. Passing this enables the student to practise as a Pharmacist.
Regards to all,
johnep

First of all prayer, relaxing and preparing to the best of your ability will play a big role in your performance. I studied about 3 months, 4-8 hrs a day & weekends off. Don't take the exam if you are not ready. You will know when you're ready b/c you'll pretty much be tired of studying.

OMG 3 months??!

Well I'm starting to review some major disease states now (I'm graduating in May 2011), but 3 months is the longest I have heard anyone study straight for the boards.

But congrats!

Excuse my ignorance, but is the NAPLEX the exam you take after a year internship.?
In the UK, graduates have to have what is called a pre registration year working in Hospital, Community pharmacy, or industry and then take an exam we call the Pre Reg. Passing this enables the student to practise as a Pharmacist.
Regards to all,
johnep

NAPLEX is the exam you take following graduation to become a licensed pharmacist, not sure about other states but you need 1500 hours working inside a pharmacy to sit for the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I exaggerated a bit. :Dlol Maybe I studied about 2 months only b/c I did not want to fail. However, I don’t regret it b/c I feel very prepared to practice as a pharmacist now. Much luck to those who did not take it yet:xf:

I have attached the 120 math questions.

Attachments

• 2006 Calc Problem Collection.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 563
Well I exaggerated a bit. :Dlol Maybe I studied about 2 months only b/c I did not want to fail. However, I don’t regret it b/c I feel very prepared to practice as a pharmacist now. Much luck to those who did not take it yet:xf:

Thats definitely a good feeling, congrats again :thumbup:

To retake naplex, do you need to turn in all paper work again to the BOP or just the fee?

Both - the paperwork and fee. Go to board's website, you will likely find all details.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am not sure, but I believe you have to pay for the NAPLEX exam again and then you should get a new ATT in about 90 days after your 1st exam.

I believe knowing the max doses for popular medications can show up, such as, metformin. However, doses were not tested heavily on my exam. On the other hand, knowing brands and generics will take you far b/c only one usually shows up. Counseling, SEs and MOA also helps you to figure out the correct answers.
Much luck to you & Happy New Year!

@Z033 Thanks for sharing your advice here. I'm looking for further help in my problem!! I had the exam twice for now and I just recieve the 2nd time score which is failed! I don't know what should I do and where to start...I know that I did much better in the last time but still I didn't pass...it is 44 which is too away of passing score...I'm totally disappointed and my self esteem is down already! I'm international student but I had my degree of pharmD in states as non traditional based on my bachelor degree which was back in 2000. I have a quite great hospital experience but apparently it didn't help me in NAPLEX.
I have studied from APHA book 2009-10 and last time I focus more on prontopass (math and naplex review part only)...I didn't have the full package of prontopass...what do u think I should do this time? it is the 3rd time now and it is risky? Any help here will be highly appreciated
Any advice or any help from a similar expereince? Thank you in advance

My wife just passed it a few weeks ago...she studied for about 2 weeks with the ProntoPass dealie...got a 108.

I read through the APhA book twice...maybe 6 hours total...got a 125.

The Naplex isn't that hard. That needs to be understood first and foremost.

The key to passing the NAPLEX is not psyching yourself out and talking yourself out of the right answer while your sitting in the little testing cubicle. I just went with my first instinct answer and didn't overthink the thing...killed it. I think that is the most useful advice that can be given. That and know the math inside and out...its just application of a few mathematical concepts. Know it and you will get them all, guaranteed. They are the easiest points on the test.

Last edited:
My wife just passed it a few weeks ago...she studied for about 2 weeks with the ProntoPass dealie...got a 108.

I read through the APhA book twice...maybe 6 hours total...got a 125.

The Naplex isn't that hard. That needs to be understood first and foremost.

The key to passing the NAPLEX is not psyching yourself out and talking yourself out of the right answer while your sitting in the little testing cubicle. I just went with my first instinct answer and didn't overthink the thing...killed it. I think that is the most useful advice that can be given. That and know the math inside and out...its just application of a few mathematical concepts. Know it and you will get them all, guaranteed. They are the easiest points on the test.

All my friends have done one or two weeks for naplex. I have set aside two weeks too!

I am foreign pharmacist and I have already failed twice the naplex.I plan to retake on may 2011 baut I would like to have partner with whom study
Thanks .
Ruth kreoss.

With a few exceptions, the only people who worry about the Naplex are those that have never taken it.

Practice your math, read through one of the practice books or do prontopass, and go take the test. Picking the brain of those who have done it recently will help guide your studies as well.