Passed the NAPLEX! (Turns out I'm not an idiot)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Idiot

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took my NAPLEX last week and found out i passed yesterday! From what i gathered about my experience and many others, everyone feels like they failed in a major way after they take the NAPLEX. And to be honest, if everyone felt fine afterwards, and you didn't, then you'd know theres something wrong. But since that's not the case, it is completely normal, expected, and possible a required for you to feel like crap afterwards. :lame:
Id say that the main trouble i had on the exam was the Select All that Apply questions. About 40% of my questions were written that way, which made me second guess myself and i automatically counted those as the ones i got wrong (or just pretended that they were part of the experimental questions). Math was the only thing i was 100% about. If i can give any advice, it would be to know your math, and know it well. I studied mainly from the rxprep book and took the quizzes online, as well as the SDN 120?s. Although SDN was overkill compared to the NAPLEX, if you were able to get through those, you'd be more than prepared. I had about 10 biostats questions, both interpretation of a study and calculating NNT, ARR, RRR, etc. And i had 20 math questions. I was barely asked on HIV and onco, i had about 8 questions total on those topics, and they were straight forward like calculating BSA, drug class, main side effect and what to give to treat symptoms experienced with cancer meds. When reviewing before my exam i made sure to go over all heart disease states, immunizations (which ones to give and which are contraindicated), diabetes (insulin calculations too), HIV, renal and liver disease as well as i could. There were a few compounding questions on the exam, and A LOT of drug drug interactions, allergies, and knowing which drug causes a change in lab values. Majority of the exam is about patient safety, so scanning the whole profile when needed AFTER reading the question was important. The topics i wasn't able to get to reviewing, seemed to be on my exam, and those are probably what i got wrong as well. I left the exam feeling confident on about 30% of my exam. So basically it's a lose lose situation all together. Anything that seemed unfamiliar to me or was just so out of the blue, i considered as part of the 35 experimental questions, which made me more confident:)
Important thing to do is not stress yourself out days before your exam date. The odds are in your favor to pass. As long as you have your math down and know basic/minimal information about the various disease states and medications, you'll be fine! Hey, if Dr. Idiot can pass, then so can you!:claps:
#Moud

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations ! Thank you for sharing . Will take it in next a few days . How long the exam took?, I though it is 4hours and 15 min, but my appoint stated for 5

Congratulations ! Thank you for sharing . Will take it in next a few days . How long the exam took?, I though it is 4hours and 15 min, but my appoint stated for 5
Thank you! You have 4 hrs and 15 min to take it. They say 5 hours probably bc they take into account for you to check in and read instructions. Good luck!

Congrats on passing! I just took my exam yesterday and I'm so sure I failed : ( Guess on about 50 questions..had so many HIV, ID, but very few onco questions. Idk if that's a good sign or not. I can't keep checking the NABP website, but from what I'm hearing, the results will take about 2 days if your states participate in online results. Let's hope for the best..

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on passing! I just took my exam yesterday and I'm so sure I failed : ( Guess on about 50 questions..had so many HIV, ID, but very few onco questions. Idk if that's a good sign or not. I can't keep checking the NABP website, but from what I'm hearing, the results will take about 2 days if your states participate in online results. Let's hope for the best..

Can someone explain to me how the adaptive system work for the NAPLEX? I checked past postings and it seems like there is a mix of answers. Some say you get harder questions because you got it right, while others say you get harder questions for less points because you got the previous wrong. Thanks!

Thank you! Everybody feels that they failed right after, the hard part is over and now it's just the waiting game.I didn't have many HIV or cancer questions, but it differs for everyone. And i guessed on so many questions, especially anything that was select all that apply, but it worked out in the end regardless so you should be fine. Hopefully you got all the points you needed to get you that passing result!

Can someone explain to me how the adaptive system work for the NAPLEX? I checked past postings and it seems like there is a mix of answers. Some say you get harder questions because you got it right, while others say you get harder questions for less points because you got the previous wrong. Thanks!
The way it works is that based on what you get right or wrong, the exam adapts to it. If you get a question wrong about a certain topic, the exam gives you more questions on that topic, but for lesser point. When you get questions right about a topic, they stop asking you about it. Hope that helps!

Took my NAPLEX last week and found out i passed yesterday! From what i gathered about my experience and many others, everyone feels like they failed in a major way after they take the NAPLEX. And to be honest, if everyone felt fine afterwards, and you didn't, then you'd know theres something wrong. But since that's not the case, it is completely normal, expected, and possible a required for you to feel like crap afterwards. :lame:
Id say that the main trouble i had on the exam was the Select All that Apply questions. About 40% of my questions were written that way, which made me second guess myself and i automatically counted those as the ones i got wrong (or just pretended that they were part of the experimental questions). Math was the only thing i was 100% about. If i can give any advice, it would be to know your math, and know it well. I studied mainly from the rxprep book and took the quizzes online, as well as the SDN 120?s. Although SDN was overkill compared to the NAPLEX, if you were able to get through those, you'd be more than prepared. I had about 10 biostats questions, both interpretation of a study and calculating NNT, ARR, RRR, etc. And i had 20 math questions. I was barely asked on HIV and onco, i had about 8 questions total on those topics, and they were straight forward like calculating BSA, drug class, main side effect and what to give to treat symptoms experienced with cancer meds. When reviewing before my exam i made sure to go over all heart disease states, immunizations (which ones to give and which are contraindicated), diabetes (insulin calculations too), HIV, renal and liver disease as well as i could. There were a few compounding questions on the exam, and A LOT of drug drug interactions, allergies, and knowing which drug causes a change in lab values. Majority of the exam is about patient safety, so scanning the whole profile when needed AFTER reading the question was important. The topics i wasn't able to get to reviewing, seemed to be on my exam, and those are probably what i got wrong as well. I left the exam feeling confident on about 30% of my exam. So basically it's a lose lose situation all together. Anything that seemed unfamiliar to me or was just so out of the blue, i considered as part of the 35 experimental questions, which made me more confident:)
Important thing to do is not stress yourself out days before your exam date. The odds are in your favor to pass. As long as you have your math down and know basic/minimal information about the various disease states and medications, you'll be fine! Hey, if Dr. Idiot can pass, then so can you!:claps:
#Moud

Congrats on passing! I'm so happy for you. I just took mine on Tuesday, and still waiting for the results. I heard it took 2 business days to get the results, but I still haven't gotten it yet, so I'm a little worried. Perhaps it's because I finished in the afternoon? Did you take your exam in the morning?

Thank you! Everybody feels that they failed right after, the hard part is over and now it's just the waiting game.I didn't have many HIV or cancer questions, but it differs for everyone. And i guessed on so many questions, especially anything that was select all that apply, but it worked out in the end regardless so you should be fine. Hopefully you got all the points you needed to get you that passing result!
Thank you! Let's hope for the best! I should get the results tomorrow :)

Congrats on passing! I'm so happy for you. I just took mine on Tuesday, and still waiting for the results. I heard it took 2 business days to get the results, but I still haven't gotten it yet, so I'm a little worried. Perhaps it's because I finished in the afternoon? Did you take your exam in the morning?
Thank you! And it depends on ur state, I'm from MI so they take about a week to show that we've passed or failed. The actual score is mailed in a few days later. Best bet is to call and ask the board yourself on the status of ur application and what they're still waiting for, that what I did. Best of luck!