Passing out/feeling light-headed while watching surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZoo

Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The first time I ever watched a spay I passed out. I was super embarrassed about it and basically thought it meant I could never be a vet. But I got over that, and it's been months since I've even felt light-headed in the OR. Buuut today I went in exhausted and a little weak (joys of being female) and I got light-headed twice while watching spays (felt fine watching neuters though) and had to leave to sit down and drink some water. Is it reasonable to assume this was because I was tired/still cramping a bit? Or is there something wrong with me? It helped when I got a stool to sit on while I was watching, I felt fine the whole time after that. If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions for how to keep this from happening, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you just need time and exposure + remembering to take care of yourself. Doing or even watching surgery puts a certain demand on your body. I think of it like going running (not that I go running, but whatever). If you over-exert yourself the first couple times you can feel really crappy, but if your body is used to it you will feel fine. Likewise you will feel crappy if you run while you're dehydrated, sick, or hypoglycemic, but if you are taking care of yourself you will feel fine.

I have watched and done plenty of surgery and very rarely am bothered by anything but yesterday I had a moment of dizziness while doing a spay. I was super thirsty and hungry and I should have been better about taking care of that before doing a bunch of surgeries.

Hey I've experienced the same thing, and realized that I'm sensitive if I skip meals. Blood and guts definitely doesn't make me woozy but one surgery that I watched late in the afternoon after skipping lunch made me feel a little shaky. I had a little talk with the vet afterwards, and she assured me that it by no means indicates that you can't be a vet. She said you just need to figured what works (and what doesn't work) for you personally: stuff like not skipping meals or dressing too warmly since you can start feeling your body temp go up under the gown/mask/cap etc etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
I've felt light headed a few times watching surgeries, but I've assisted in many more. I attribute it to not feeling 100% that day or not eating enough and feeling my blood sugar drop, which I am really prone to.

I've had a lot of exposure to spay/neuter surgeries and rarely have problems with these. However, I've been in situations where I wasn't prepared for the goriness (ex: watching a sow have her prolapsed rectum fixed right in front of us in the 80 degree barn) and I very nearly fainted. I think for me a lot of the times I'm not great about hydrating myself. I know that now, so in surgery for spay/neuters I always make sure to keep a large bottle full and drink it regularly. Make sure you eat too, but nothing really heavy obviously.

I was nervous too, but I think with more exposure and knowing yourself better like everyone has aready mentioned will help a lot :).

I had to leave one time and get some water during an amputation because I felt light headed and dizzy. Not really nauseous though. I honestly think it was from standing and focusing so long. Make sure you take care of yourself and drink alot of water and eat a nice meal before you go and observe. :luck: I tend to sweat and strain myself when we are doing high risk/unusual surgeries. That underneath a hot gown, gloves, mask and hat is no fun.

I worked for a Dr in PP who would have to fill herself with rice cakes on her surgery days or else she would get dizzy and nauseous. :rolleyes: She is an incredible Dr though. :)

There's nothing wrong with you.

Eat something before you watch a procedure (but not something that's going to make you feel sick to your stomach). Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and try to avoid observing the more "graphic" procedures if you're feeling tired. Low blood sugar and fatigue can really bring you down, pun intended :p.

I was totally caught off guard one day watching some minor I-don't-even-remember thing (I had never really had a problem watching surgeries--I've stood in on human brain surgery, fer cryin out loud :laugh:!) because I just hadn't slept or eaten enough. I had to go sit in a corner so that I didn't pass out.

If you're still feeling shakey or not quite right after taking precautions, you may want work your way up to spays from even smaller procedures. First, get totally comfortable watching blood draws, then move onto stuff like grown removal and wound repair.

I think the consensus is that this happens to everyone so don't worry about it.

I remember one of the first surgeries I stood in on was an episioplasty to correct a vulvar fold pyoderma. It took a while and fatigue caught me off guard a bit, but what really got to me that time was the smell. I hadn't eaten so my stomach was already not happy. The vet was using a surgical laser and if you've never been involved in that, it smells like you might expect; searing flesh.

Thanks guys :))) This makes me feel a lot better. On all the days that I observed without ever feeling light-headed, I had gotten a good night's sleep beforehand. The lack of that was probably the culprit today :oops: In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, I barely slept at all the night before watching a spay for the first time...passed out right after the Dr said "This is what a dog's uterus looks like" :laugh:

I used to think I had a bit of an iron gut when it came to those things until my first necropsy. We put the horse down and maybe not 10 minutes later were beginning via limb amputation. Needless to say, easily the most blood I've ever seen in one location in my entire life. I was pretty ashamed of myself when I felt my head checking out, and I guess I somehow walked away and sat down on somebody's truck bed, but I don't even remember it. I was able to go back about 15 minutes later and after that I was totally fine. But pretty embarrassed.
My professor did tell us all the day before that we needed to eat a snack and drink water before we came to the necropsy. I did take her advice, I just think nothing could have prepared me for seeing that in person, no matter how tough I thought I was.

Almost fainted when I watched my first surgery, too. For me, I think it was a case of locked knees. I was so nervous about getting in the vet's way or being a disruption, so I just stood super stiff and still. I was actually really enjoying the surgery and just couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I was so cold and dizzy. Once I realized what was happening, I thought it was a bright idea to try to leave the room for fresh air. Wound up crashing into the table of surgical tools instead. So much for staying out of the vet's way... :laugh:

Hijacking this thread a bit: are any of you actually squeamish, and if so, how did/do you deal w/it?

I'm *extremely* squeamish when it comes to any type of gore in humans. I've fainted multiple times due either to something I've seen on screen (once in a movie theater) or just from my messed up imagination picturing a gory scene in a book (multiple times at school/college, including once when reading a Twilight book, which is embarrassing on many levels). Through some strange twist of fate/psychology, blood and guts from an animal doesn't bother me much, and I've observed surgeries in the vet hospital and done surgeries/dissections/etc. in the lab w/no problem.

BUT occasionally something will still trigger me and I'll get squeamish and dizzy. The first time I observed retro-orbital bleeding I had to leave the room or else I would have passed out. I know I'm sensitive about eye stuff but other than that it's completely random. Have any of you had similar experiences, and if so, how have you dealt w/it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in a lab where I assist with many surgeries first hand, and I have found that I have to drink a ton of water and eat something starchy/filling beforehand or I will have to sit down or will almost pass out. Don't be embarrassed for sure, there are a LOT of people that experience this. You just have to find the right balance solution for you and your body.

Hijacking this thread a bit: are any of you actually squeamish, and if so, how did/do you deal w/it?

I'm *extremely* squeamish when it comes to any type of gore in humans. I've fainted multiple times due either to something I've seen on screen (once in a movie theater) or just from my messed up imagination picturing a gory scene in a book (multiple times at school/college, including once when reading a Twilight book, which is embarrassing on many levels). Through some strange twist of fate/psychology, blood and guts from an animal doesn't bother me much, and I've observed surgeries in the vet hospital and done surgeries/dissections/etc. in the lab w/no problem.

BUT occasionally something will still trigger me and I'll get squeamish and dizzy. The first time I observed retro-orbital bleeding I had to leave the room or else I would have passed out. I know I'm sensitive about eye stuff but other than that it's completely random. Have any of you had similar experiences, and if so, how have you dealt w/it?

I hate, hate, hate medical procedures in humans (which is part of why I'm not a human doctor :laugh:). I passed out when having a vial of blood drawn in the doctor's office, and I passed out when my grandmother was having her blood drawn.

I've never passed out while watching anything vet related, but I've definitely felt lightheaded a few times. Once was recently while I was doing a spay surgery. It was very hot in the OR and got fixated on thinking about how hot I was. So the supervising vet gave me some gum and tied an ice pack into my gown. Felt totally fine after that. If I don't eat/drink enough or feel kind of crappy already, I'm definitely more sensitive.

And I'm not a huge fan of eye procedures...or pulling teeth. :barf:

Guilty of passing out during my first spay ... I was 14... Maybe a lil too young to see an actual surgery, but now it's not a problem at all! Scrubbed in on a foreign body surgery at 3am this week- goldendoodle ate a sock lol. I LOVE surgery!!!

I've gotten a little nauseous during some surgeries where we had a lot of infection or ones where there's visibly broken bone, but never really light headed. My mom was an ER nurse at a level one trauma center for my whole childhood and every subject was fair game. I spent a lot of time there and in the morgue as a kid so nothing like that had ever phased me. Children bother me, but animals I tend to find it more fascinating. I feel bad that they're in pain and that upsets me a little when it's obvious they didn't have to be if they'd gotten care earlier, but the gore (even eyes) is just sort of what it is.

I do overheat pretty bad if I'm not well hydrated though.

Eye stuff and human stuff=:barf:

I totally freak out when someone tries to take my blood, watching people get vaccines, and when someone breaks a bone I can't be in the room. When things get impaled in either people or animals it really grosses me out too (luckily, I haven't seen anything like that in real life though).

I have gotten better with the eye stuff, but I think that its more getting used to it than anything. One of my goats had a corneal ulcer at one point, so I had to put medicine in her eye twice a day for a while, and I was forced to get over my dislike of doing that and it didn't gross me out nearly as bad eventually. Other eye injuries and problems still gross me out though even though seeing things near the eye isn't as bad for me as it once was.

The only time I really got nauseous during surgery was watching a C-section on one of my one goats. It was a bad idea, but I had been up with her all night and I hadn't eaten anything in hours (the surgery didn't happen until about ten in the morning and I had been out with her since about twelve at night). It was also in the dead of winter, and I wore all of my clothes that I had been wearing out in the barn into the clinic.

In general though, I usually do make sure that I'm well hydrated before I go to the clinic, and I usually do make sure that I eat lunch/breakfast on those days even if its just to avoid having my stomach growl during appointments:laugh:. It definitely does help though.

I hate, hate, hate medical procedures in humans (which is part of why I'm not a human doctor :laugh:). I passed out when having a vial of blood drawn in the doctor's office, and I passed out when my grandmother was having her blood drawn.

I've never passed out while watching anything vet related, but I've definitely felt lightheaded a few times. Once was recently while I was doing a spay surgery. It was very hot in the OR and got fixated on thinking about how hot I was. So the supervising vet gave me some gum and tied an ice pack into my gown. Felt totally fine after that. If I don't eat/drink enough or feel kind of crappy already, I'm definitely more sensitive.

And I'm not a huge fan of eye procedures...or pulling teeth. :barf:

OMG teeth. I seriously can not get used to dentals. Pulling teeth gives me serious heebie jeebies :O

For whatever reason seeing guts and stuff at the clinic doesn't bother me a bit. Now, if I'm hiking through the woods and see an inside out possum that's been gutted by a coyote that's another story. Not sure why but it really disgusts me.:barf:

For whatever reason seeing guts and stuff at the clinic doesn't bother me a bit. Now, if I'm hiking through the woods and see an inside out possum that's been gutted by a coyote that's another story. Not sure why but it really disgusts me.:barf:

Same! Even if I'm just driving by roadkill, I get nauseous, but I'm fine for surgeries. :rolleyes:

There are only two things I know of that reliably make me nauseated/squeemish: seeing and hearing (the hearing is important) a person vomit (animals don't bother me so much), and the texture of formalin-preserved soft-bodied invertebrates (like, say, sea anemonies). Not sure what it is about the soft-bodied inverts, I deal just fine with verts and with not-preserved inverts and with inverts with a shell (crabs, insects, etc.).

The only times I've felt faint and dizzy, though, were when I was overheated and had been standing with my knees locked (I have a bad habit of doing that) and I was restraining an animal that was capable of hurting me or someone working with it if I let go (feral cats and large hawks). I think the needing to be highly alert plus the locked knees is really what gets me, and I'm getting much better about it - the most recent time I just leaned against the wall for a minute or two and felt fine. I didn't even have to let go of the hawk!

Surgeries have never made me squeemish or faint, and I'm pretty sure not much will be worse than the first necropsy I saw: adult giraffe euthanasia + necropsy + dismemberment for disposal + cleaning the skull and first four vertebrae to go in the dermestid box at the natural history museum. Talk about blood and guts. I was mostly ok, and even helped clean the skull. I will say that doing disections of preserved animals and watching surgeries did not IN ANY WAY prepare me for cleaning still-warm skin and muscle off an animal I had just seen die. So don't be surprised if that gets to you the first time.

Same! Even if I'm just driving by roadkill, I get nauseous, but I'm fine for surgeries. :rolleyes:

Same. I do my best to swerve and not run over already dead road kill but there have been a few times when I've felt it go under a tire and it makes me cringe big time.

And like WB mentioned - human vomit. I just ... Can't. The smell, the sound. Worst. Thing. Ever.

This is going to make me sound like a total idiot. :laugh:

I am not squeamish at all when it comes to blood and guts but I nearly passed out during a spay surgery once. It was my first real veterinary experience - volunteering with a local shelter vet - and the first time I'd actually seen a surgery live right in front of me. I was doing just fine when all of a sudden I started feeling way too hot. And then I started getting dizzy. I was feeling like I could really use some fresh air, but I figured it was nothing, the surgery was almost done and I took a few deep breaths thinking I could power through. Then the tech I was working with started telling me about the pre-med drugs they use for the surgery and why they chose to use those specific drugs. I was doing my best to listen and learn, but all of a sudden my vision started darkening and the tech's voice was suddenly very distant. I'd never passed out before, but I knew that was what was about to happen. Foolishly, I waited until the tech was done talking (despite the fact that I could barely see or hear her at this point :rolleyes: ) and I very politely asked "Is it okay if I step out for a minute? I'm feeling a little dizzy." Both the tech and the vet assured me it was fine to leave during the surgery and that I didn't need to ask for permission.

The second I stepped out of the room, pulled off my mask, and took a deep breath, I immediately felt better. Turns out . . . I had the mask tied waaaaay too tight. I nearly passed out, not because of the surgery, but because of oxygen deprivation. Never made that mistake again! :oops:

The second I stepped out of the room, pulled off my mask, and took a deep breath, I immediately felt better. Turns out . . . I had the mask tied waaaaay too tight. I nearly passed out, not because of the surgery, but because of oxygen deprivation. Never made that mistake again! :oops:

:laugh: This is better than my locked knees. Oxygen deprivation...man. :laugh:

Oh! I thought of one where I did almost pass out. We had a dog come in whose owner had let her just chew the crud out of the cast on her broken leg. They brought her in because "it started to smell". You can imagine where this is going.

We sedated her and I started to take the cast off and the leg came off. Not with any force or anything, just slipped straight off as I was cutting through this cast. So there I am holding a half-open cast full of what I can only describe as liquified leg and my brain just goes, "Nope, no file on what to do for this. :confused:" Started to shut down and everything went fuzzy.

I just stood there like an idiot until the vet walked into the room, even took him a minute to notice that the leg was in the cast and not on the dog. We ended up amputating at the hip what was left and she made a full recovery.

Three days was all it took this dog to chew through her cast and clear through the bone and flesh of her own leg, so word to the stubborn. If we give you a cone, use it.

Oh! I thought of one where I did almost pass out. We had a dog come in whose owner had let her just chew the crud out of the cast on her broken leg. They brought her in because "it started to smell". You can imagine where this is going.

We sedated her and I started to take the cast off and the leg came off. Not with any force or anything, just slipped straight off as I was cutting through this cast. So there I am holding a half-open cast full of what I can only describe as liquified leg and my brain just goes, "Nope, no file on what to do for this. :confused:" Started to shut down and everything went fuzzy.

I just stood there like an idiot until the vet walked into the room, even took him a minute to notice that the leg was in the cast and not on the dog. We ended up amputating at the hip what was left and she made a full recovery.

Three days was all it took this dog to chew through her cast and clear through the bone and flesh of her own leg, so word to the stubborn. If we give you a cone, use it.

Holy crap!:eek: That's disgusting! Sounds like something a sled dog would do... "Yumm, flesh... Hey there's a bone in here! Let's eat it too!" Although it was probably just itchy or something come to think of it...

There's nothing wrong with you. Sometimes I get light headed during surgery but the other day we did a C section and I didn't feel anything. The doctor that I was with said I did great that she's even passed out during a surgery and another doctor said he was fine all through undergrad and grad school but in residency he passed out. Depends on the day and how you're feeling. I always make sure I eat like a protein bar or something and drink water before a surgery. Sometimes you can't because its an emergency but like others said, take care of yourself. And do not be embarrassed if you need to sit down or leave the room. No one will ever think bad about you or that you can't do it, even doctors still need to do it. :)

I have watched lots of different surgeries and was a bit light headed while watching my first. After having seen surgeries on rodents, dogs/cats, horses, tigers, etc., I have become somewhat desensitized to it...

However, having panic disorder certainly makes each experience unpredictable for me. In some cases it is not the actual surgery that will make me feel queazy but the atmosphere. Sometimes all it takes is being in a new environment with people I have never met to set my anxiety off. Focusing on the surgery that is being done actually helps bring me back from reaching that panic stage. In addition, deep breaths and my own anxiety coping skills that I've adopted over the years help... Guess my struggle is a bit different but the same coping skills can be applied.

Could also be the simple act of standing completely still for long periods of time, which combined with the smells and sights of surgery causes even more discomfort. I have poor venous return or something and tend to get lightheaded while standing still. I've learned to tense/untense my calf muscles, shift my weight from leg to leg, do subtle "marching in place" maneuvers, etc in order to stop from feeling dizzy. Tight socks also help.

The sights and smells will start to bother you less and less, don't worry.

I get the heebie jeebies from ortho surgeries and dentals. *barf* You're certainly not the only one -- as this thread has shown you! :D

I'd been working for a year or so and been in a ton of surgeries - animal and one human - before I had my first queasy episode.

I hadn't eaten breakfast and we were doing an ortho surgery on a sheep. When the docs cut all the way through the bone and the leg flopped sideways my brain just noped on out of there. I went outside to sit down, and someone gave me a little food. It was kind of embarrassing, because it was my first surgery at the place, and I hadn't ever had a problem with queasiness before.

I haven't had any queasiness problems since, but I expect I'll have another eventually. Being all swaddled up in surgery gear makes me feel hot, and when I'm nervous I feel hotter, and the combo plus something wrong-looking might put me over the edge again. It's NBD :)

I think it happens to all of us at some point. The only time I remember feeling faint while watching a surgery was when I was volunteering at a country clinic. He was removing this huge saliva ball of a mass (it seriously looked like saliva and was super slimy) in the middle of the summer in Arizona in a house that had no A/C so we were using fans and I hadn't eaten. I was actually holding one of the hemostats to help keep the skin open and I could feel my vision going in and out of focus. I was so glad when we were done. Stay hydrated and EAT before you go in and you should be fine.

I haven't got light-headed due to the content of the surgery (not that I've seen anything super gross yet) but I have a tendency to lock my knees when I stand for an extended period of time, especially if I am concentrating on something. I was assisting with a dental on a dog and all the sudden I started to sweat, got hot/cold flashes, and was shaking. Luckily there was another assistant nearby so I grabbed her to switch places with me. Once I grabbed some water and walked around I was fine. Now I try to do what worldatlarge does, shift my weight from one side to another, march in place, and definitely stay hydrated before going into surgery.

Haha, for me, it's toenails. I've only seen it once, but we had a dog come in that ended up having an autoimmune disorder that caused his toenails to just fall off. So, I was restraining the dog while the vet was looking at the feet, and she manipulated one of the nails and I watched as pus started to ooze out from the nail bed. Then, the dog jerked its foot back, and the toenail was left behind in the doctors hand.... :barf:

I also really really dislike pulling ticks off dogs. I totally get the heebie jeebies from that. Worse story than the toenail: I was taking a temp on a dog and his anus was covered in maybe 10 ticks... So being the good tech I am, I pulled them off and doused them in alcohol and threw them away. Not even five minutes later, I felt something crawling on my chest... I had a butt tick on my chest!!!! :eek: So gross!

I think I'm the opposite of most of you! :/

Put me in a 80 degree barn and ask me to euthanize a sow and examine intestines - I'm as happy as a clam...

Put me in a stuffy surgery room and make me observe a spay without touching or doing anything and I get sooo anxious/nervous/hot!

Any thoughts on how to cure this ?? :oops: I'm starting vet school in the fall and scared to death that I'll pass out once we start surgery lab 2nd year

deep down I think it has something to do with me thinking about livestock as livestock... also I've had a TON of large animal experience...

but the thought of small animal surgeries freaks me out because I'm so unfamiliar with them. I've thought about asking my hometown vet if I can just come in and watch everything he does for a week to force myself to get over it!

I think I'm the opposite of most of you! :/

Put me in a 80 degree barn and ask me to euthanize a sow and examine intestines - I'm as happy as a clam...

Put me in a stuffy surgery room and make me observe a spay without touching or doing anything and I get sooo anxious/nervous/hot!

Any thoughts on how to cure this ?? :oops: I'm starting vet school in the fall and scared to death that I'll pass out once we start surgery lab 2nd year

I've found that chewing gum/having hard candy to suck on makes me feel better. :)

I had a similar problem- started out shadowing equine. Not too much bothered me, though a couple super hot days when food deprived I would get a little dizzy during surgeries/emergencies, could lean against a wall and be fine. When I started shadowing at a small animal clinic, I'd step in the surgery room and practically pass out. I found it all super fascinating, but no matter what I did I would get hot and start to black out. Never actually fainted. Would go watch an LDA surgery on a cow... no problem. So I just forced myself to go in every day that they had surgeries. If I had to sit on a stool to watch, then I sat on a stool. Eventually I got over it. Watched a 3 hour exploratory and cryptorchid the other day with no problem... Guess it just takes time! I had about a 6 month period where I was convinced that this was going to ruin me and I wouldn't be able to be a vet. Luckily my stubborn self refused to give in.

Ewww....butt tick on chest. I would feel like ticks were crawling on me all day after that!

I have a friend who has a problem with any sort of surgical procedures and she says she almost didn't become a vet because of it but she started wearing compression socks and said they help a ton!

Personally, I've never tried the compression socks but the couple times I felt light-headed/faint have been completely random. The first time was at a slaughterhouse and I think it was the smell of dead pig intestines that triggered it because the sheep slaughter didn't bother me one bit (but I've survived fresh pig dissections in anatomy since then so hopefully it's not a problem anymore), 2nd was during cauterization of a wart on a dog (again I think smell possibly combined with the sheer amount of blood I wasn't expecting), and third was a wound debridement on a horse (weird because that didn't smell and I'd seen plenty before that one and been fine).

I have 3 or 4 students a year pass out or have to scrub out during surgery. They've all graduated anyway :) So don't worry, it happens. If it's a frequent problem check with your doctor to make sure there's not a medical problem going on.

A few things to keep in mind:
Euglycemia is key. Make sure you have some snacks on hand at all times in case you have to go in on an unexpected surgery right before lunch. High protein, complex carbs and some fat are good. Simple sugars are bad -- your glucose spikes up then comes right back down.

Stay hydrated. A lot of caffeine tends to dehydrate you (and can worsen a tremor). But don’t overdo the fluids. If you drink a gallon of water right before a bilateral pelvic fracture you’re probably gonna be really wanting to get to the bathroom before the surgery is done.

If you start to feel light headed, SAY SOMETHING. Go sit down. That’s much better than trying to tough it out only to crash to the floor and konk your head.

And if you’re going to fall … fall AWAY from the patient and instrument table please.

Reactions: 1 user
Used to get like this a lot when I was younger, especially if I hadn't eaten enough that day/had slept really poorly. When my insomnia acts up, it occasionally resurfaces, but I can avoid it by staying hydrated and satiated. :)

I
I got nauseous the first couple times I watched surgery. I also get nasuseous if I'm overtired, overheated, or pregnant (not saying you might be pregnant, lol, just happened to be a sensitive time for me, and maybe your cycle is similar for you)

Drink water, eat some food, and don't lock your knees.

Edit: the vet let me sit on a stool while I monitored anesthesia and I'turned the heat down for me.

I
I got nauseous the first couple times I watched surgery. I also get nasuseous if I'm overtired, overheated, or pregnant (not saying you might be pregnant, lol, just happened to be a sensitive time for me, and maybe your cycle is similar for you)

Drink water, eat some food, and don't lock your knees.
Funny enough she is actually pregnant...

Reactions: 2 users