passing score out of 400 to pass NBDE-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uppermolar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi ,

How many questions would someone answer correctly out of 400 to pass NBDE part 1

Regards and Good luck to everybody :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi ,

How many questions would someone answer correctly out of 400 to pass NBDE part 1

Regards and Good luck to everybody :)

They ask 400 questions and to pass you should score 75 %, i.e 300 correct responses as there is no negative marking.

They ask 400 questions and to pass you should score 75 %, i.e 300 correct responses as there is no negative marking.

Thanks for your response but I think that there is a standard deviation. The 75% must be less than 300/400 . :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From old posts, most of the people commented if you score 250, you should be pass.

well but some do fail even if they correct 270 or some pass if they correct 250. It depends on question types...and national mean too as per exam paper..thats complicated .so to be on safer side do ur best .. If u correct 70/100 questions in ASDA papers ..i guess u are all set ..

Let me make one thing very straight, it's not about the number of questions that make you pass or fail, it's the type of questions which you answer. Every test has a specific number of questions which you MUST answer to get a passing grade which is 75, and this is the reason why you are always suggested to answer ALL of them. Previously, if after correcting all of hem you get more questions correct you used to get a score of 75+, depending again, on what type of questions you got right. Now let's say one test comprises of 400 Qs has a preset 175 questions which the examiners agreed that one must get right to get a passing score. Now, let's say someone got only these 175 right and everything else wrong.....he still gets a score of "pass". If, on the other hand, someone who got even one of these 175 wrong, and all of he other 225 right, so, according to numbers he got (174+225)= 399 out of 400 right, he still get a "fail" grade, just because he got that one important question wrong !!! So my dear friends, please do not get surprised if you get a score of "pass" even you were sure that you failed !!!

Reactions: 1 users
Let me make one thing very straight, it's not about the number of questions that make you pass or fail, it's the type of questions which you answer. Every test has a specific number of questions which you MUST answer to get a passing grade which is 75, and this is the reason why you are always suggested to answer ALL of them. Previously, if after correcting all of hem you get more questions correct you used to get a score of 75+, depending again, on what type of questions you got right. Now let's say one test comprises of 400 Qs has a preset 175 questions which the examiners agreed that one must get right to get a passing score. Now, let's say someone got only these 175 right and everything else wrong.....he still gets a score of "pass". If, on the other hand, someone who got even one of these 175 wrong, and all of he other 225 right, so, according to numbers he got (174+225)= 399 out of 400 right, he still get a "fail" grade, just because he got that one important question wrong !!! So my dear friends, please do not get surprised if you get a score of "pass" even you were sure that you failed !!!

Very fertile imagination...

Ha ha.. good one bro.

Very fertile imagination...

I don't know if that's satirical or not, but if it is then my dear friend you haven't attended any of the NBDE orientation lectures that the dental schools give out to the examinees every year !!!!

I don't know if that's satirical or not, but if it is then my dear friend you haven't attended any of the NBDE orientation lectures that the dental schools give out to the examinees every year !!!!

Yes, it was as sarcastic as I could put into words... No, I have not attended any, could you please explain it to me?

Yes, it was as sarcastic as I could put into words... No, I have not attended any, could you please explain it to me?
Well then my friend, wait for your turn and attend one and then perhaps you would be able to help out those international applicants who have no clue how this scoring system works. In fact, till a few yrs back, I was one of them. A word of advice : Since we all are here to help each other, vitriolic and/or sarcasm does not help in any way.

Well then my friend, wait for your turn and attend one and then perhaps you would be able to help out those international applicants who have no clue how this scoring system works. In fact, till a few yrs back, I was one of them. A word of advice : Since we all are here to help each other, vitriolic and/or sarcasm does not help in any way.

I guess I won't get to attend to any of these once I've passed Part 1 quite a while ago, and Part 2 over a year and a half... That's the reason why I asked. I am not your friend, and proposing or mentioning absurd theories on scoring of NBDE is not even close to helping anyone. You should get your facts straight before just posting them here.

I have a very good idea on how scoring system works after exchanging emails directly with ADA, and as far as I've been told it has absolutely nothing to do with what you've said. A pass/fail exam would not have 400 questions if you needed to get "175 questions which the examiners agreed that one must get right to get a passing score", no one would make an exam where you could get 399 questions right out of 400 and still fail it.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I won't get to attend to any of these once I've passed Part 1 quite a while ago, and Part 2 over a year and a half... That's the reason why I asked. I am not your friend, and proposing or mentioning absurd theories on scoring of NBDE is not even close to helping anyone. You should get your facts straight before just posting them here.

I have a very good idea on how scoring system works after exchanging emails directly with ADA, and as far as I've been told it has absolutely nothing to do with what you've said. A pass/fail exam would not have 400 questions if you needed to get "175 questions which the examiners agreed that one must get right to get a passing score", no one would make an exam where you could get 399 questions right out of 400 and still fail it.
I guess then the Dean of NYU , who makes it mandatory for everyone to attend the seminar/lecture must take proper lessons from ADA before he makes us go through this !!

We appreciate both of your opinions but could you guys act like adults and professionals and take your fighting and snarky comments someplace else?
Everybody here is trying to figure things out and help each other.
Thank you

The ADA released a paper which shows the number of correct answers and the percentile you get ,for easy subject..the paper was released in 1998..crack the NBDe and qbank dmd pass scores and the present NBDE exams are still following the same percentile and number of correct answers format. You need to get at least 45 correct of 100 questions in ask subjects except dental anatomy. .but in dental anatomy the you have to get 70 answers correct. Total is somewhere near 220 of 400. To be on safe side get 55 answers correct in each subject in every asda papers. And 70 plus in dental anatomy. :)all the best.

We appreciate both of your opinions but could you guys act like adults and professionals and take your fighting and snarky comments someplace else?
Everybody here is trying to figure things out and help each other.
Thank you

You're welcome. It is an open forum ideas do not always converge, I was just making a point clear using official information from ADA, I don't appreciate bad information being spread as truthful... My best guess is begottedBDS might've misunderstood whatever was said on his lecture/seminar, and I was trying to understand, but in reality all you need is read the official papers from ADA to realize that it does not make sense what was posted before, and as I said wrong information would just confuse everyone.

Did you find a study partner for Part 1 already? Good luck on the exam, study hard and you'll do fine! :thumbup:

Thankx for the encouragement.
And no I haven't found a study partner yet.and thankx for asking
Best of luck to you too

Hi.I am in LA,California preparing for NBDE1,anybody who is at the same place welcome to study together