Past mistakes, hope for the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikkosan327

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll *try* to keep this short. There seem to be quite a few folks on here that have seen it all, so hopefully someone can give me some guidance.

Timeline:
2007-08: Senior year of HS, accepted to UCLA/USNA/Stanford, yadda yadda. Didn't go to any of them, was in a toxic relationship with someone I had no business hanging around. Went to UNT here in Texas.
08-09: Didn't care about a darn thing, didn't go to classes 70% of the time, etc. Still passed a couple of classes, only making appearances for tests, but just flat ignored others. Obviously, college didn't go well for me. Left after Spring 09 semester.
09-12: Life stagnated, worked some part time jobs in libraries and book repairs. Completed a program for massage therapy at top of my class. Left crummy marriage.
13-present: Reasonably successful LMT (booked out for weeks at a time, clients lurve me), had a kid (turned my life completely upside down, but for the better), whittling down old debts, own my car and motorcycle (woohoo!), stable home environment with lots of family support.

Plan A: complete core curriculum at local CC, then transfer to uni for BS in Bio
Plan B: just complete entire degree at uni
-----> go to dental school wherever, hopefully here at Baylor

I'm supposed to be on the phone with admissions advisor from TAMU/Baylor right now, but she didn't pick up, hopefully she'll call back soon. The waiting is making me antsy, and I figure making this post and hoping for some other points of view will kill some time (and hopefully some stress).

I want a completely fresh start (yes, I know that I have to submit old UNT transcripts to new college wherever I go), but I just wonder how these past issues will affect chances of getting into DS. When the kiddo came around, my world totally changed. I have been working so hard to get my life on track, and it's going beautifully. It sounds stupid, but I know dentistry IS my calling. I love being an LMT, but I need something more engaging for the noggin. I have grown up with crowded teeth and an underdeveloped lower jaw, so I understand (more than most) the cruelty people will inflict on you (so I come equipped with more than my fair share of compassion and an ability to truly connect with clients).

Fire away, folks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, well I finally managed to grab her on the phone. She says there is hope! If anyone else had a similar experience, please share it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You certainly have a positive outlook on everything and your attack plan is well thought out. Of course those old grades will get sent, but your effort and new college career should be more than enough to make up for that! If you do well on the exam and in your college courses everything will be in your favor. Schools look for those who are responsible and have a good head on their shoulders. Having a family, job, and going to college simultaneously will get you in with good grades and some effort.

Plan A is cheaper, but plan B is safer. You don't wan't to lose credits in the transfer process because of what the college accepts/doesn't accept. Check with the colleges that you plan on transferring to and see what course credits they'll take.

Best of luck to you!

Good luck. I am a turn around case myself, 15 years ago I slouched my way to psychology degree with a around a 2.7 GPA, and then did nothing with it. I went back full-time to a four year school took and retook all of my pre-dental classes, just about every recommended class, got a new degree, did research…really just threw everything I had at it. I got all A's and really solid DAT scores. If you want it, you can do it. I am applying this cycle, so I can't tell you how my story is going to turn out, but I feel really good about everything I've done and I got a pretty decent job right out of school, so if dental school doesn't work out right away I'm going to be alright. I've got my fingers crossed for dental school though.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, that was who I spoke to.

Im going to have to time my degree so that I will transfer to TWU for my last year, and apply for the Texas Fresh Start program at that time. It will push my graduation back two years, but it's worth it!

More specifically, I was planning to complete the Texas core at collin, which is accepted at all Texas universities. Then transfer to UTD for the next block of classes, then transfer to TWU for my last year and graduation. The second transfer is due to only being able to apply for Fresh Start 1. After 10 years have passed and 2. Upon admission to university. I could either take a break while at UTD and apply for readmission there, or just jump over to TWU so there's no gap involved.

I'll *try* to keep this short. There seem to be quite a few folks on here that have seen it all, so hopefully someone can give me some guidance.

Timeline:
2007-08: Senior year of HS, accepted to UCLA/USNA/Stanford, yadda yadda. Didn't go to any of them, was in a toxic relationship with someone I had no business hanging around. Went to UNT here in Texas.
08-09: Didn't care about a darn thing, didn't go to classes 70% of the time, etc. Still passed a couple of classes, only making appearances for tests, but just flat ignored others. Obviously, college didn't go well for me. Left after Spring 09 semester.
09-12: Life stagnated, worked some part time jobs in libraries and book repairs. Completed a program for massage therapy at top of my class. Left crummy marriage.
13-present: Reasonably successful LMT (booked out for weeks at a time, clients lurve me), had a kid (turned my life completely upside down, but for the better), whittling down old debts, own my car and motorcycle (woohoo!), stable home environment with lots of family support.

Plan A: complete core curriculum at local CC, then transfer to uni for BS in Bio
Plan B: just complete entire degree at uni
-----> go to dental school wherever, hopefully here at Baylor

I'm supposed to be on the phone with admissions advisor from TAMU/Baylor right now, but she didn't pick up, hopefully she'll call back soon. The waiting is making me antsy, and I figure making this post and hoping for some other points of view will kill some time (and hopefully some stress).

I want a completely fresh start (yes, I know that I have to submit old UNT transcripts to new college wherever I go), but I just wonder how these past issues will affect chances of getting into DS. When the kiddo came around, my world totally changed. I have been working so hard to get my life on track, and it's going beautifully. It sounds stupid, but I know dentistry IS my calling. I love being an LMT, but I need something more engaging for the noggin. I have grown up with crowded teeth and an underdeveloped lower jaw, so I understand (more than most) the cruelty people will inflict on you (so I come equipped with more than my fair share of compassion and an ability to truly connect with clients).

Fire away, folks.

Sounds really similar to what happened to me. Got out of high school, went to UTDallas, screwed around and had a 1.8 gpa and put on academic probation. Took a year and half off to work and decided I needed to go back to school. I first started at Richland (DCCCD) and got my associates. Transferred over to TWU immediately after receiving it, and went straight into the necessary classes for a Biology Degree. Just graduated 2 months ago and I will be attending Baylor Dental in a few weeks.

If you have any questions man, just PM me. I have a reallllly good idea as to what you're going through at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
Mr. ckgibbs115 is a smart man and probably has better advice than anyone else on this particular subject.

I wanted to say I think plan B is better/safer and I would do that if you can afford it. I did my 5 semester post-bacc at UNT. It was very easy to get into the courses I needed and frankly the coursework up there isn't all that challenging IMO. Also, the pre-health program is generally quite supportive.

You have the chance to do whatever you want. You/me/ckgibbs115 had a definite advantage over the 21 year old rising junior applicants: you have real world experience. Now use that to your advantage!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing. Im still debating on whether or not to bother with the Fresh Start program before completing my BS in Bio. Would it perhaps be a better idea to go ahead and complete it as normal (I can finish with a 3.0 at most, that's how bad it is), then start post bacc courses with fresh start? That almost seems like a better idea. Input?

Thanks again for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

So what's your timeline for completing everything? If you utilize this program, it doesn't sound like you will be applying for dental school until like 2020 or 2021

Are you still considered eligible for the Fresh Start Program immediately after finishing a bachelors? You should probably speak with an admissions coordinator at the university you plan to get a bachelors, because this sounds like a tricky situation.

The only reason I find it tricky is because I found a link for the academic fresh start form from the University of Houston stating students are no longer eligible for the program upon receiving a bachelors.
http://www.uh.edu/admissions/apply/additional-applicant/academic-fresh/academic-fresh-start-2013

The way it sounds to me is that you must apply for this program with the intention of completing the undergrad degree at the university that approves it. Completing the degree and then applying for the program in post-bacc may cause a school to deem you ineligible. I can see why now you would have to transfer to a second university in order to get it.

That's what I was wondering, too. Wasn't sure if completing the BS would knock out my eligibility for FStart.

Correct, I should be applying to DS mid 2020. (Gawd that's a long way off, really kicking myself for screwing around so much)

I hate all the transferring, but if I did utilize FStart, that second transfer is necessary. Im afraid of not bothering with it, but when it comes time to apply, my app would be auto-rejected due to some GPA cut off, even if all my present grades were stellar. I don't know if that would happen, but it seems like that'd be the reason for FStart to even exist in the first place, eh?

I would talk to the schools. I feel like 3-4 years of 3.8+ GPA earning your BS and applying in 2017 or 2018 would be way better. There are ways to explain your prior record during the application process.