"Pastoral Doctors"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haaaaaaaaaaveyoumetted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's terrifying because while we all know how ridiculous this is, many people out there would actually trust these "doctors".

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yuck, saw that this morning.

FFS, why is this allowed?

You would think not only the medical community but reasonable Christians would be speaking out against people using their religion to swindle- as if that isn't enough of a problem already.

Reactions: 1 user
If these chiropractors take religion so seriously as to pursue advanced theological degrees and keep bibles in their offices, why do they think they have roles as healers? If they had true faith, their patients would pray to god and follow his plan for them, even if it included diabetes or chronic pain.

But who would have thought this would happen in TX

It's terrifying because while we all know how ridiculous this is, many people out there would actually trust these "doctors".

Yeah that was the worst part for me- especially this quote from the chiropractor: "It's up to the consumer to do due diligence and figure out is this practitioner — does this doctor know what he's doing?"
So it's up to your patients to find out that you are not licensed to be treating them??

Reactions: 7 users
If these chiropractors take religion so seriously as to pursue advanced theological degrees and keep bibles in their offices, why do they think they have roles as healers? If they had true faith, their patients would pray to god and follow his plan for them, even if it included diabetes or chronic pain.

Not necessarily. It depends on the denomination, I suppose. But most don't prohibit seeking medical help.

I guess for those that DO prohibit it- or just those swayed by woo, this "holistic not-medical care" care is attractive.

On a semi-related note, one of my UG professors had a student who went on to become a family physician. She ended up having to stop seeing children all together at her practice because too many of them came in with parents who refused to vaccinate their children on religious grounds. She couldn't take the reoccurring notion from uninformed patients that vaccines were harmful, yet were still coming for medical help. I was in total disbelief when I heard this.

Yuck, saw that this morning.

FFS, why is this allowed?

You would think not only the medical community but reasonable Christians would be speaking out against people using their religion to swindle- as if that isn't enough of a problem already.

Can confirm, am Christian and equally outraged at this clear attempt to confuse and swindle on a medical level. In fact, I'm just frustrated that yet another confusing degree has been made up out of the blue.

Not necessarily. It depends on the denomination, I suppose. But most don't prohibit seeking medical help.

I guess for those that DO prohibit it- or just those swayed by woo, this "holistic not-medical care" care is attractive.

Yes, certain denominations/fringe outcroppings of Christianity say to "pray away" the sickness and refuse medical treatment. My father (a physician and a Christian) and myself are shocked at patients who come in to report illness yet refuse any medical treatment. Christians should include prayer in addition to seeking medical treatment from professionals. I do not understand this notion of avoiding the doctor. It's not Christian doctrine and is instead a complete farce propagated by certain fringe elements and cults (I'm looking at you "Christian Scientists").

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I can just imaging what would happen if the government tries to crack down on this "free exercise of religion"...
What a positively abominable sham.

Reactions: 4 users
I can just imaging what would happen if the government tries to crack down on this "free exercise of religion"...

Is that what they're calling it?

:grumpy:

That's what they always call it...

Reactions: 2 users

Can't they crack down more on whether his "patients" are being misinformed by his medical education, qualifications, etc. If he called himself a "spiritual healer" I would have no issue, but the line is increasingly blurred for the public on what counts as good medicine, good science and good practice.

My parents got conned by one of these guys up in Wisconsin back when I was in high school. The guy was all over the radio, and his practice was full of "patients" who distrusted the medical system.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Can confirm, am Christian and equally outraged at this clear attempt to confuse and swindle on a medical level. In fact, I'm just frustrated that yet another confusing degree has been made up out of the blue.

Yes, certain denominations/fringe outcroppings of Christianity say to "pray away" the sickness and refuse medical treatment. My father (a physician and a Christian) and myself are shocked at patients who come in to report illness yet refuse any medical treatment. Christians should include prayer in addition to seeking medical treatment from professionals. I do not understand this notion of avoiding the doctor. It's not Christian doctrine and is instead a complete farce propagated by certain fringe elements and cults (I'm looking at you "Christian Scientists").

I should amend that to "You would think MORE Christians would speak out against it".

I honestly did not mean to imply none cared. I grew up evangelical, and I would say I have leanings that way. Any way...tangent.
What I mean is, even in my personal circles, most of which identify as Christian, I hear nothing about it. At all. This, amongst many other things. Its maddening.

I'm sure its maddening for you as well. Unfortunately, the things I speak up on have earned me the troublemaker label with some. :rolleyes:

I should amend that to "You would think MORE Christians would speak out against it".

I honestly did not mean to imply none cared. I grew up evangelical, and I would say I have leanings that way. Any way...tangent.
What I mean is, even in my personal circles, most of which identify as Christian, I hear nothing about it. At all. This, amongst many other things. Its maddening.

I'm sure its maddening for you as well. Unfortunately, the things I speak up on have earned me the troublemaker label with some. :rolleyes:

It should be self-policed within the Christian community far more than it is.

The trouble I see is that when faith-based beliefs are put forth as if they were science-based, those that speak out against the conflation of the two are accused of not having faith.

Your right to swing your fist ends where my body begins. Similarly, your right to preach your faith as truth ends where scientific proof begins.

Unfortunately, I see a lot of posts by "Christian bloggers" getting shared- related to similar things. And the title is almost invariably "Angry Atheist does x". So if you're speaking out about something that falls under the umbrella of Christianity, and you're not one of us- well, then the attitude becomes somewhat rivalrous.
Resulting in people who will buy into, or support something simply because you (in this example) happen to be an atheist who is public about it, and you're saying something negative about something under that umbrella, it must be anti-religion vs. anti-quackery.
Again, maddening.
I don't know if that made sense. It looks a bit like word salad to me, but I can't brain to fix it at the moment.