PAT grids and tallies during tutorial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supergenius310

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, during the tutorial of the DAT are you allowed to take that time to make your hole punching grids and charts for cube counting? I really hope so.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your prometric center. Some people haven't had any issues but some have. I'd suggest calling them, if you don't wanna find out the hard way

So, during the tutorial of the DAT are you allowed to take that time to make your hole punching grids and charts for cube counting? I really hope so.

No you cannot. There were conflicting answers on this forum so I called ADEA and they said unequivocally you are NOT allowed to write during the tutorial or the break.

I also called my test center and they confirmed this.

I was really worried about this because I relied on my grids fod hole punching, but the laminated shwets are perfect for this. They are preprinted with a graph paper that is a really nice scale for hole pubching.

It depends on your prometric center. Some people haven't had any issues but some have. I'd suggest calling them, if you don't wanna find out the hard way

Like he said. It depends. I didn't ask my center and I started doing the grids during my tutorial. The lady was standing right next to me and she didn't say anything about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT in San Jose, CA yesterday. They told me not to write on the white board during the tutorial. Halfway through, I decided to do it anyway. I figured what's the worst that could happen? They come in here and hand me a new board? I took my chances, as I am a very slow reader and needed all the time I could get. They didn't say or do anything.

Someone posted a thread earlier saying they called ADEA and they said that you are allowed to write during tutorial...

who knows! I will try anyway

the timer for the test itself doesn't start until the tutorial is over (or until you choose to end it) so technically I would assume that we are not allowed to write during the tutorial..which I think is silly because it's not like we have notes in front of us to cheat

Someone posted a thread earlier saying they called ADEA and they said that you are allowed to write during tutorial...

who knows! I will try anyway

I know which post you are talking about, and I called more recently than they did. Also the person that I talked to put me on hold for a while to check with their supervisor and make sure I got the right answer.

I guess if your test center doesn't care then go for it, but if for some reason it was reported to ADEA (they do NOT have to tell you if they are reporting you for something), then you could possibly get your scores invalidated because it is not allowed. That's a lot worse than just getting your sheets taken away from you.

Honestly, with the graph paper laminated sheets, there is absolutely no reason to need to write during the tutorial. The lines are straighter and more even than anything you will be able to draw, and they are perfectly sized for hole-punching grids.

Last edited:
I know which post you are talking about, and I called more recently than they did. Also the person that I talked to put me on hold for a while to check with their supervisor and make sure I got the right answer.

I guess if your test center doesn't care then go for it, but if for some reason it was reported to ADEA (they do NOT have to tell you if they are reporting you for something), then you could possibly get your scores invalidated because it is not allowed. That's a lot worse than just getting your sheets taken away from you.

Honestly, with the graph paper laminated sheets, there is absolutely no reason to need to write during the tutorial. The lines are straighter and more even than anything you will be able to draw, and they are perfectly sized for hole-punching grids.

do we always get graph paper laminated sheets or that also depends on the center?
:laugh:

I think calling the testing center ahead of time is silly, because whoever you talk to on the phone might say 'yeah you can write anything during tutorial'.. and then there will be a different person that day when you take the test and they might say no..

so I think what I will do is get those laminated sheets (hopefully the graph paper ones!!!). If for some reason they will not have the graph paper ones I will go ahead and try and make those grids during the test. If anything you can always play dumb and say that you werent aware that your test doesn't start when the tutorial starts...(i took mcat before and that was the case there- test begins when tutorial starts so we could write anything onthe scrap paper)...I think they might report you without telling you if they come up and tell you to stop writing but you still do it...i think they give you a warning (well hopefully at least because im counting on being able to make grids/ or get that graph paper)

I think calling the testing center ahead of time is silly, because whoever you talk to on the phone might say 'yeah you can write anything during tutorial'.. and then there will be a different person that day when you take the test and they might say no..

so I think what I will do is get those laminated sheets (hopefully the graph paper ones!!!). If for some reason they will not have the graph paper ones I will go ahead and try and make those grids during the test. If anything you can always play dumb and say that you werent aware that your test doesn't start when the tutorial starts...(i took mcat before and that was the case there- test begins when tutorial starts so we could write anything onthe scrap paper)...I think they might report you without telling you if they come up and tell you to stop writing but you still do it...i think they give you a warning (well hopefully at least because im counting on being able to make grids/ or get that graph paper)

My testing center proctor told me they still had some of the non graph in circulation, but ALL prometric centers are switching and should have already. If you are worried about it, show up early for your test so you can request it to be switched if you het non graph sheets. And by early I don't mean 30 mins, I mean like 45. My test was at 8am and I was one of only 3 people at 7:15, but the waiting area was packed by 7:30 (when I was done checking in and ready to start test).

My testing center proctor told me they still had some of the non graph in circulation, but ALL prometric centers are switching and should have already. If you are worried about it, show up early for your test so you can request it to be switched if you het non graph sheets. And by early I don't mean 30 mins, I mean like 45. My test was at 8am and I was one of only 3 people at 7:15, but the waiting area was packed by 7:30 (when I was done checking in and ready to start test).

thank you:)