Patenting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came up with a theoretical drug. The basic framework of the molecule is definitly new. Does anyone have any experience or insight into patenting such things.

Members don't see this ad.

I came up with a theoretical drug. The basic framework of the molecule is definitly new. Does anyone have any experience or insight into patenting such things.

I'm assuming you're in an academic setting. If that is the case, I recommend you talk to your school's research office which deals with patents. They most likely have patent lawyers that you can consult with for free. Of course they would also figure out who owns what since usually the university has some stake in your creation. There's also the topic of if you want to go with it being a trade secret vs. a patent too.

If you're not in an academic setting, then I guess you can probably do some google searches to see where to go, but I'm sure the end result will be finding and hiring a patent lawyer. Thats pretty much the limit of what I know about patents..haha. Hope that helps!

Thanks, the organization Im involved with is a private one with all the necessary lawyers/agents. I was just seeing if anyone had any experience with this. The agents I talked with said its important to do it right the first time since once the idea becomes public, other parties immedietly copy it in hope of a legal technicallity. For instance if the patent wasnt broad enough. Anyways what happens will happen.