path from family med to general hospitalist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for a number of reasons (most of then due to recent stays in hospitals with my family), i have become increasingly interested in pursuing a job as a hospitalist (general) after residency.
from my initial search, it seems that the path starts with a residency in family medicine, but how one proceeds from there and if there are any additional fellowships required is unclear.
if anyone can provide any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated
tia :)

Members don't see this ad.

u can become a hospitalist thru family med but i think the more common approach is to pursue that through internal medicine and currently there is no fellowship that is required to work as a hospitalist

Both family physicians and internists can be hospitalists, although internal medicine programs tend to spend more time on inpatient care than most family medicine residencies. That being the case, if you are absolutely certain that you have no desire to have an outpatient practice, I would lean towards internal medicine. You aren't limited either way, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
To add, there are fellowships in hospital medicine for both family medicine and internal medicine that focuses on additional patient care experience, procedures, research, quality improvement, safety, leadership, and faculty development.

Most of the FM hospitalists I know go from residency directly. Pick a FM residency program with a strong inpatient experience.

it's possible to go from FM to hospitalist but it's harder. like Blue Dog said, it's because internists spend more time inpatient. for example, the ICU rotation is not mandatory in FM programs. some programs offer it, others do it on a longitudinal basis.

if you look at hospitalist job descriptions, majority state they're looking for an IM candidate. a few state they would consider an FM. at my residency hospital, we are unable to work as hospitalists for them after residency.

adding on to lowbudget, if you go into FM and want to strengthen your CV for a hospitalist position, then there are currently 8 hospitalist fellowships offering 13-14 spots per year.

good luck!

thanks all!
I am trying to keep as many options open as I can, I am also thinking family med then working urgent care.
I appreciate all the info

in my area (out west) there are many FM docs working as hospitalists even in large metro areas. You do need to have strong ICU training and procedural experience.

I'm a hospitalist who graduated this yr from an unopposed FM program. I had multiple job offers/interviews and now work at a very nice hospital/contract. Other residents from my program this year went ER/hospitalist. Most procedures at my hospital are done by the intensivist although we do see our patients in the icu (we saw patients in the icu in residency as well).

Last edited:
So I can do family medicine and still work as a hospitalist even in big cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Indy?

What are the areas Family med trained doctors can work besides private practice? I have heard of ER in rural areas as well as urgent care centers and outpatient clinics and now I'm starting to hear more and more going to work in hospitals?