Path to Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Texas Tech... some of their students have interesting paths to Derm.. What are your thoughts on their path:

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/dermatology/residents/resprofiles.aspx

Jeffrey Brackeen, MD
2012-Present
Dermatology Residency
Texas Tech Physicians, Dermatology

2004-2008
Pathology Residency
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Lubbock, TX

2001-2004US Navy Flight Surgeon
New Orleans, LA

2000-2001Family Medicine McLennan County Medical Education and Research Foundation
Waco, TX

2000M.D. Texas A&M University School of Medicine
Temple, TX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cameron West, MD
2013-Present
Dermatology Residency
Texas Tech Physicians, Dermatology

2011-2012Research Fellow Clinical Dermatology
Wake Forest School of Medicine
Winston-Salem, NC

2010-2011
Diagnostic Radiology
University of Kansas School of Medicine
Wichita, KS

2009-2010
Internal Medicine
University of Kansas School of Medicine
Wichita, KS

2009M.D. University of Kansas School of Medicine
Kansas City, KS

Members don't see this ad.

With respect to their path, I've heard of Path residents go for Derm. They usually do Dermpath, and then realize they like the clinical part, and then go for Derm after that. I'm sure you've already done this, and maybe that was your original intent, since you're posting 2 derm residents' info on a forum, but the first one is the spouse, most likely, of one of the Derm faculty at that program (due to same last name) if you look at the website. That being said if you see he graduated in 2000, did an internship, spent 4 years in the military as a Navy Flight Surgeon, did 4 years of Path, likely did some attending work for 4 years, and then entered derm residency in 2012. Much different than your typical run of the mill traditional student - college, then med school, M4 derm applicant. Good for him.

As far as the second one, he obviously realized that he liked visual stuff but more working with patients so Derm was a good fit and changed paths. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with Dral -- someone interested in Path or Rads and switching over to Derm isn't too big of a leap of logic since they are all visual specialties.