Pathology board scores...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Animus

I won't deny it...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where dey at doe?

News-Anchor-Dance-570.gif

Members don't see this ad.

RESULTS ARE UP.

PASSED!

Reactions: 1 user
Somehow passed.

For those of you who somehow coasted through residency barely learning any AP/CP (thus necessitating cramming 4 years into 1.5 months just prior to the exam): there's hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Somehow passed.

For those of you who somehow coasted through residency barely learning any AP/CP (thus necessitating cramming 4 years into 1.5 months just prior to the exam): there's hope!

Goljanoid...first of all congratulations. Secondly, I feel the exact same way! I am taking my boards in October and feel like I know nothing. Please give me any advice you may have...other than remembrances of course. I am desperate!

^I used Osler 2010 pdf notes with accompanying audio lectures as my primary source material. Went through them in full (both the AP and CP parts). Since my attendance to my institution's unknowns conferences was less than desirable (*cough* skipped almost all of them since 1st month of intern year lmao *cough*), and I had more of a CP interest (currently a fellow on the CP side), my AP morphology skills were atrocious (you don't want to know how I made through the RISE exams lol). So I focused on trying to rapidly assimilate H&E pattern recognition.. best way I found to cram it in was to use powerpoint. Made loads and loads of several hundred Mb powerpoints of AP H&E images I copied and pasted from the Osler 2010 notes, google images, and random e-books like Cibas cytopath. Made it into quiz format (alternating Q & As). I actually spent so much time on this I never got around to reviewing actual glass slides lol. So by the time I took the exam, I actually hadn't touched a glass SP slide in >2 yrs, which prior to the exam scared me quite a bit -- but during the exam I found using a 'scope was like riding a bike... you never forget the basics and histology is histology whether on the slide or on your monitor. Ended up coming away from the exam feeling like AP was substantially easier than CP (which is the general consensus every year, but yet, somehow, some of my colleagues who took the test with me felt the opposite!)

Some other things I used were Quick Compendium's hemepath and Micro section, and some of Koneman's Q-bank (basically only reviewed the micro-organisms that were emphasized as "must know" bugs as a part of my institutions rotation... was still a lot though). Also partially plowed through AABB's standards manual question book.. ehhh, I dunno how much it benefitted me.. had forgotten most of the info by the time I took the test lol (did it too early in my studying / didn't really review again close to the exam).

As far as other Q-banks go, I had the McGraw Hill "Specialty Board Review Anatomic Pathology" android app on my phone for a few months -- which surprisingly enough, I think did get me a few q's! I also did a fair number of 2013 and 2014 ASCP PRISE exams which will scare the daylights out of you (I turned them into Q&A quiz powerpoints as well.. but ended up not reviewing them), but don't worry, the PRISE exams for the most part far exceed the difficulty of the actual exam by several orders of magnitude.

There were other Q-banks I purchased and really wanted to get to, but ran out of study time in the end lol so I guess they really didn't matter. But one of the ones I heard others say they benefitted from was Lefkowitch's review...

Anyways, good luck. It wasn't a fun 1.5 months (spent every waking moment cramming = 16 hour days)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Good job all, passed also. The future is bright and full of jobs :):):)

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I passed CP and not AP:( Is there anyway goljanoid you could share the morphology powerpoints you made. I also am mainly focused on CP. Im doing blood bank fellowship and I skipped most AP conferences. My program has little to no slide sets to look at. Can you help a desperate chap? I could really really use it!!! Please!!

Hello,

I'm currently in my 4th year of AP/CP residency.
I wonder if any of you experienced any problems when filling out your autopsy cases for Board registration purposes.
Most of my autopsies, let's say 70% were performed by me and I have approx. 30% shared. Is that a problem?

Thank you.

Does the program director/coordinator know how well you performed on your Boards?

Our program director knew what tertile we fell into in our performance, though I don't know if he got this info on each individual or just a group average of all test takers from his program for a given year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our program director knew what tertile we fell into in our performance, though I don't know if he got this info on each individual or just a group average of all test takers from his program for a given year.

Wow..that's more information that each test taker gets. I'm curious where I fell now.

I was wondering that because during the academic faculty meeting just after the RISE they display the graphs and tables the ASCP provides. It doesn't mean they exhibit each resident individually but they give the overall performance as a group and also compared to previous years. I know that the ASCP RISE purpose is basically a self-assessment for residents and programs and that's why they plot all the results. What I heard once is that they were really excited because few years ago one group of residents did really well on the Boards that year among all pathology graduates, maybe they revealed their individual results to the PD, who knows.

Where dey at doe?

News-Anchor-Dance-570.gif
Hello..

I'm new to the forum, and I have my AP/CP board exam next May. I signed up to the forum cuz I'm concerned about CP studying.. I'm mean as regard what sources to use. I tried to do the CP quick compendium, but for me it's so hard to read from a text book style notes and I hardly remember anything after several reads. I heard the Osler CP audio and went through the notes once. I was wondering if anybody who passed the CP boards has only studied from the CP Osler course. I would just like to know whether I am in the right track, or should I go back to memorizing CP compendium to pass the boards like a lot of people say ? I would appreciate the advice.

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, and I have my AP/CP board exam next May. I signed up to the forum cuz I'm concerned about CP studying.. I'm mean as regard what sources to use. I tried to do the CP quick compendium, but for me it's so hard to read from a text book style notes and I hardly remember anything after several reads. I heard the Osler CP audio and went through the notes once. I was wondering if anybody who passed the CP boards has only studied from the CP Osler course. I would just like to know whether I am in the right track, or should I go back to memorizing CP compendium to pass the boards like a lot of people say ? I would appreciate the advice.

I listened to the OSLER course and then used quick compendium as well to help highlight high yield topics. I didn't really start studying until February or March before the Spring exam...so you're probably ahead of the game!

I listened to the OSLER course and then used quick compendium as well to help highlight high yield topics. I didn't really start studying until February or March before the Spring exam...so you're probably ahead of the game!
Thank you for your reply. So by that you mean that you have not at all read the CP compendium ? Just the Osler CP ?

Thank you for your reply. So by that you mean that you have not at all read the CP compendium ? Just the Osler CP ?
While doing the Osler review, I cross checked with the CP Quick Compendium. Really just skimming to see what they highlighted. The CP quick compendium was must smaller when I took my boards, but now I think it would be more helpful as there are pictures and graphs to compare.

Thank you for your reply. Happy holidays!

Hello everyone!

For AP, I solved the lefkowitch twice, quick compendium companion and ASCP prise questions. If I want to do more questions, should I do the john Hopkins unknown conference, McGew-Hill, pathology exam review or Osler
Q & A ? I heard there are also websites like board vitals and pathMD. Any advise ?

Silly question but,

Do they allow you to bring in coffee, snacks, water to the test center?

What about noise cancelling headphones or earplugs?

You can't bring anything except your ID, you leave everything else on a shelf inside the entrance to the boards office.

Last time I was there I took my recert exam. Someone's phone started ringing on the shelf, and they asked whose phone is was. After 5 minutes, the phone ringing three times, and three times them making an announcement including describing the backpack it was in, some dude finally stood up and said it was his. They should have failed him.