Pathology Fellowship Training Programs in Norway?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelissaLo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's only one year left for my Anatomical pathology training. I'm interested in Pathology fellowship training in Norway just because I like this country and want to travel and stay there for 2-3 years. It doesn't have to be an English program since I'm going to learn Norwegian anyway. I'm not an EU-citizen. Is there any fellowship program for foreign pathologist?

Members don't see this ad.

It would help if you gave us a little bit more to work with:

1) Where did you do your residency?
2) Are you currently in Norway?

Getting into Norway is pretty tough, especially if you haven't obtained your medical degree from the EU or are a non-EU citizen. However, I believe some countries do have access to this country (like the US, Australia etc.) but you still have to qualify the stringent requirements set up by the Legeforeningen (Norwegian Medical Council).

1) First you have to have a very good level of Norwegian language and to document that, you have to pass the Bergens test.
2) Second, you have to apply for recognition of your medical diploma and residency
3) If they don't recognize your residency or partly recognize it, they might do one of the 2 things: a) Ask you to retake an exam (based on basic and clinic sciences you studied in medical school) and then do an internship program for a year b) they might give you a probationary license (for a few months), during which you work and acquire experience in the hospital, and assess you at the end of this period.
4) Finish the requirements and enter into a residency program.
5) Finish residency and enter into a fellowship program.

Norway usually doesn't recognize specialty training from outside the EU, so it can be very tough. However, I do believe fellowships might be a little easier if your medical education and residency in recognized.

I would also suggest you look into the UK, and Germany as they have excellent fellowship programs in Pathology.

Good luck!

There's only one year left for my Anatomical pathology training. I'm interested in Pathology fellowship training in Norway just because I like this country and want to travel and stay there for 2-3 years. It doesn't have to be an English program since I'm going to learn Norwegian anyway. I'm not an EU-citizen. Is there any fellowship program for foreign pathologist?

Hi
Im looking for training fellowship in holland or another UE country .I am a pathologist recently received from South America.I appreciate information. thank you!!