Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Pathology: Kaplan Notes or Goljan Notes?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Dupree, 04.09.05.

1. Dupree

Dupree Removed

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Any idea which is a better for pathology: Kaplan Notes (+WebPrep Lectures) or Goljan Notes (+Goljan Lectures)?

My friend has lent me his Goljan Notes (something like 500 pages total that is split into general and systemic pathology), and the 100 page high-yield Goljan Notes, as well as the taped lectures. I don't have time to do both the Kaplan Notes and Goljan so I'm hoping to get advice on which one is better.
  2. Dupree

Dupree Removed

anyone?
  3. HiddenTruth

HiddenTruth Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    kaplan path notes suck. Use BRS or another source instead. I used BRS and Stars (which is apparently very close to the notes by Dr. G you are referring to).

If you have to choose between those two, definately goljan notes--much more complete and understandable. kaplan's path is book is like memorizing LISTS--you can't do that for path.
  4. Dupree

Dupree Removed

thanks for the info HiddenTruth. What about the WebPrep lectures for Path, are they at least worth listening to?
  5. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Only if you want to hear a guy with a gay voice reading the sorry Kaplan Path notes to you. There is nothing that the WebPrep adds when it comes to Path. Use BRS or the highly touted on SDN Goljan Rapid Review.
  6. Pox in a box

Pox in a box 1K Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Barone needs to work on his transitions..."Okay, let's talk about..."
  7. amgirlmd

amgirlmd Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    i took the live kaplan course with goljan, and he said that the book (rapid review series) is his same personal notes that he passes out when he lectures.... which are different and separate from the kaplan patho notes that barone uses...

8. BamaAlum

BamaAlum

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Definitely agree. Go with BRS and the Robbins review question book. If you can handle the questions in there you'll be fine. They are harder than the real deal.
  9. Dupree

Dupree Removed

thanks for the info guys. Now is it enough to listen to Goljan's audio lectures by themselves or do you also have to do the approximately 500 pages of notes (general + systemic books) along with the audio? I've already done BRS, but I was wondering if it would also be worth doing those 500 page notes also.
  10. Row Jimmy

Row Jimmy Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I just finished my review for path not too long ago. I listend to Goljan and read through his class notes in just the areas I wanted some extra detail. I read BRS as well. I then did some of the Robbins questions to make sure I was comfortable with my level of understanding.

I think those Robbins questions are great although I wish the explanations were a bit more detailed.

RJ
  11. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    if You've gone through BRS path, its best to stick with BRS path and go over it again. Better to know 1 source really well than know a few sources barely.
  12. Dupree

Dupree Removed

thank you everybody for the advice

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal