Pathology lab tech clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SSnows123

Hi fellow non-grads!

Question re: clinical experience.

I worked as a CNA in a hospital 7 or so years ago (9 years ago by the time I apply to med school) and racked up ~1000 clinical hours.

I have a part time clerical job now while I redo pre-reqs etc but I just got offered a part time position as a lab tech in a pathology lab. The head pathologist used to work at the state COM where I plan to apply in 2018 so I'm wondering a) is pathology lab tech considered "clinical" experience? (I clearly wouldn't be able to "smell" patients but would be able to smell their tissue.. Hehe, bad joke. That's gross). b) Because of her potential connections, even if this isn't a "clinical" experience, could it be worthwhile to pursue this probably low-paying option just to maybe get a good LOR? The head pathologist already knows I am a nontrad who plans to apply to med school in 2 years and is very supportive of that.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your CNA experience is worth more. path tech is no better than a lab tech or phlebotomist. Patient exposure is more important unless you are going into research.

Last edited: