Pathology Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halogen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for Step 1 test takers:

I really wanna get my path down. A friend told me to read the entire "Basic Pahology" text by Kumar and "Path. basis of disease" and take high yield notes BEFORE (the month off between semesters) going into the Path? Then use these
notes to study from on step 1.

Is this a good idea or just overkill? Anyone have any alternative ideas or things that worked for them?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just read Robbins...seriously that is an assload of stuff. I own the Pathophys book and really feel that it is pretty good. I also have Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards (Ayala and Spellberg) and I would highly recommend it...very concise. I wouldnt actively stay away from Kumar, but what Goljan tells us is that working problems is better for retention than studying a textbook. After my first test block, I would agree with him. Also, you have to give yourself incentive to focus during path. If you think you already have this stuff down, you might find that you miss some things. I would prep everything else first before working on classes you havent had yet (i.e. is your anatomy solid? embryo? histo? biochem?)

During my path course in second year, I read the first several chapters in Robbins (under the General Pathology section). I had also read most of the other organ-based chapters while studying various organ systems throughout first and second year (e.g. cardio, renal, GI, etc.). I then mainly used BRS Path to study for the Boards.