Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Death

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what tier of competitiveness patho residencies are. I could care less about location. On a scale of 1 to 10 1 being FM 10 being rad onc. Also is it a DO friendly field or mainly MDs?

Members don't see this ad.

Friendly
Market is fine despite the doomsayers on this website

Members don't see this ad :)
Friendly
Market is fine despite the doomsayers on this website

Is this true? I really wanted to do Pathology but every single person discouraged me from doing so because of the abysmal job market. If I thought I could get a job in Path after residency then I would totally pursue this specialty.

Is this true? I really wanted to do Pathology but every single person discouraged me from doing so because of the abysmal job market. If I thought I could get a job in Path after residency then I would totally pursue this specialty.
I know quite a few pathologists in real life. Multiple who recently job searched and had 0 issues/ got well compensated jobs in "desirable" locations.

Pathologists I know in real life > "Pathologists" on here.

*edited for grammar*.

Last edited:

Don't quote me on this. My professor is a pathologist and I had a discussion about this with him before. He mentioned that a new graduate will have a hard time finding a job anywhere. If you have 300 spots opening while there are 500 graduating residents annually, you have a surplus of physicians. The job market is so bad that no one should enter this residency despite of being DO friendly.

If you aren't in a huge coastal city (e.g. NYC, LA, SF, etc.) you should be fine. I haven't heard of any problems for Pathologists finding work in the mid-Atlantic or mid-West regions.

I can't speak for the other areas, but every path grad I've met has landed a job, and a good paying one at that (usually $230k-$300k). If you love it, go for it, if you want it only for the lifestyle, I'd be more hesitant recommending it.

I know quite a few pathologists in real life. Multiple who recently job searched and had 0 issues/ got well compensated jobs in "desirable" locations.

Patholigts I know in real life > "Pathologists" on here.

I've had the same exact experience.

Don't quote me on this. My professor is a pathologist and I had a discussion about this with him before. He mentioned that a new graduate will have a hard time finding a job anywhere. If you have 300 spots opening while there are 500 graduating residents annually, you have a surplus of physicians. The job market is so bad that no one should enter this residency despite of being DO friendly.

It might be valuable to indicate what region this professor is in. Like I said, I have yet to hear of a Path graduate in my area not finding a job, but I suppose I could believe it if it was on the West coast or Northeast coast.

We had a Columbia path match a couple years back. Path is super DO friendly.

As to the job market, FMGs seem to have a tougher time, for whatever reason, than US MDs and DOs in the path market, at least from the ones I've spoken to.

Path resident here.

If you're interested in forensics, the job market is wide open in that subspecialty. Graduates at my program have all been able to find local jobs in the mid-atlantic area.

Reactions: 1 user